2x12 Cabs don’t get enough credit

• Thread starter Thread starter Bxlxaxkxe
  • Start date Start date
4x12, 2x12, 1x12 sound drastically different under the mic, given the same speakers and general cab materials/construction. If you can't hear this difference then I give up:

best isolated examples: 4:45 min:

They did a good job of capturing the difference. Would be interesting to hear a room mic, as well.

Two of my friends have a Friedman 2x12. It's ported, has a huge low end. A good cab for anyone that wants something smaller, but likes the bassiness of a 4x12.

They did a good job of capturing the difference. Would be interesting to hear a room mic, as well.

Two of my friends have a Friedman 2x12. It's ported, has a huge low end. A good cab for anyone that wants something smaller, but likes the bassiness of a 4x12.
In that video I actually preferred the 1x12 to the 2x12. I thought the 1x12 sounded closer to a "smaller" version of a 4x12 whereas the 2x12 here has a very exaggerated and ugly upper mid honk that the other two don't have.

Has anyone used one of the isolation cabs like this Randall?
I feel like it's a cool concept, but probably outdated one too?

1728059621483.jpeg

In that video I actually preferred the 1x12 to the 2x12. I thought the 1x12 sounded closer to a "smaller" version of a 4x12 whereas the 2x12 here has a very exaggerated and ugly upper mid honk that the other two don't have.
Both the 2x12 and 1x12 sound like butthole to me. I’d be sad if any of my gear made those tones

View attachment 349817
I haven't tried them personally but I've never read of anyone being totally satisfied with those and other similar iso boxes. All accounts seem to indicate those enclosures create as many problems as they solve. The biggest complaint is this inherent and very pronounced boxiness that is simply an unavoidable byproduct of a very small enclosed space and the exaggerated reflections that the mic will pick up.

I had one many years ago. It was ok, but the mic attaching mechanism tended to rattle.
Yeah that was a thought that I had. I came across one on MF or maybe GC website a few months ago for just under $200 that had a v30 and an sm57 already in it. I passed because I didn't want a big useless box laying around if I didn't like it, and after doing the math after shipping + tax it came out to the same or more than a v30 and sm57 cost new if I ended up just salvaging those.

Yeah that was a thought that I had. I came across one on MF or maybe GC website a few months ago for just under $200 that had a v30 and an sm57 already in it. I passed because I didn't want a big useless box laying around if I didn't like it, and after doing the math after shipping + tax it came out to the same or more than a v30 and sm57 cost new if I ended up just salvaging those.
Shipping today would be a few bucks Im thinkin. Other bummer was only one mic in there. May be an issue for those that like more than one mic.

View attachment 349817
Never seen such a device. Is this supposed to be for studio or stage or both? Do metalheads forgo the room mic in the studio? I always like having a room mic, really adds depth and richness to the core SM57 sound.

Never seen such a device. Is this supposed to be for studio or stage or both? Do metalheads forgo the room mic in the studio? I always like having a room mic, really adds depth and richness to the core SM57 sound.

I think they were mainly designed for "quiet" recording. I thought it might be cool to have because a lot of times I get a groove going on in my head in the middle of the night or am just in that mode where I'm flowing good and want to record without using the emulated line out from my amp when it's late. My spark 40 is okay sometimes, but not really :ROFLMAO: Reading more about them later, they aren't really very quiet even stuffed into a closet. 🤷‍♀️

2x12’s rule. I have a couple
Bogner 2x12’s, one with creamback and v30, and another with v30 and scumback. They sound tight and defined. Very happy with how my amps sound through them.

I also have an early 80s Marshall 4x12 with g12-65s that sounds great also. I am down to 3 cabs. But, I always plug into a Bogner 2x12 first.

I heard an avatar 2x12 that’s a copy of the Bogner I believe with a greenback and v30 that sounded really, really good.
I had one of those 2x12 Avatar cabs. Liked it so much I bought the 4x12 version, great cab, will keep it forever. both with V30's though, actually the 4x12 originally came with v30/t75 in a X pattern, but I liked the more direct sound of all V30's. G12T75's are not for me.

Back