• 3 is 5150

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 3 is 5150 II

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • 3 is 5150 III

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hear differences in the clips, mainly in the "body" of each tone...the mids and how they interact with the lows. The highs all seemed to sound similar with small changes. Conservatively set possibly.
The differences here are negligible though. They all sound great. Tweaking of each amp could cover each amps tone close enough.

I think it really boils down to what options the player wants to go along with the tone. The whole 5150 series of amps provides lots of options in that regard.

I like amp #1 here and I'm thinking its the III.
My guess is that it goes III, II, I in the clip.
Great job by the way!

Sounds pretty much the same to me, through my M-Audio monitors.

Reminds me of this vid on YouTube . . and *to me* all it is is a repeat of the same track, just EQ'd a little different.

Screw context, with that kind of a mix it would be hard to tell if it wasn't an SLO. :D How about posting the raw guitar tracks? That's where you really tell.

To be honest, I don't care what amp(s) you used in that mix. It sounded GREAT.

Edit, didn't read this part before:

A 5150, 5150 II, 5150 III, Dual Rectifier, Framus Cobra, Framus Dragon, Soldano SLO, Soldando Hot Rod 100+ and Soldano Avenger can all put out VERY similar tones. Trust me, as I've owned them and had the chance to put them side by side with many of the amps in that list. Everyone has different tastes, but in the end, your playing is going to dictate how the amp sounds.
Agreed. :D

:rock: I could not tell the difference. I love blind taste tests. All the BS marketing hype designed to make us desire one thing over another is removed. The emperor has no clothes!

This was really great. I had no idea which was which, but I love that people take the time to do these things.

Well done, sir.

I've never owned any incarnation of the 5150, so I won't even try to guess. I'm here for the popcorn, and to see people's opinion's though.

Ok... It's Friday. Woohoo. And we're rowdy. :rock: spill the beans. LOL!

i thought all three sounded very similiar.

the differences are negligible. you can make up for the variations with a little different eq and mic placement.

the way the amp feels when playing makes a big difference for me.

a classic example is when i played my friends custom audio 100. sounded fabulous but felt super stiff and was a bitch for me to play.

same thing with rectos, i can make em sound awesome, but they are just no fun for me to play.

Greg, I think you used the same amp throughout the entire clip. :lol: :LOL:

Kidding man.... but that is how negligible the differences really are. You could have hit the strings harder and made more difference than what I can hear. Good tone in that clip....

And the results are in folks.

1= 5150 III (you guys were tossed up between 5150 and 5150 III)
2= 5150 II (the crowd got this one right)
3= 5150 (you guys thought this was the 5150 III)

It seems like everyone wanted the 5150 III to be the one they liked.

All three amps are great in my honest opinion. My favorite for live is the 5150 III because you have three channels. My favorite for recording is by far the 5150. I am also biased because my BRAND NEW 6505 kicks ass. It sounded even better than my block letter 5150. The point is, even amps vary, and I've amps of different makes sound more similar than two of the same :yes:

Thanks for playing :lol: :LOL:

victim5150":1p6fa5i8 said:
First of all I really dig the riff and the clip overall sounds fantastic so props man. The difference between the 3 is so small. It is really hard to hear any difference. I owned an original block letter and combo and now own the 5150 III 100 watt and 50 watt. Always thought the high gain channels on all of them sounded nearly indentical with only channels 1 & 2 being the big deciding factor on the 5150 III for me. I'll go with 1-5150 III, 2- 5150 II and 3-5150.
And that is why, my friend, you are called Victim5150 :lol: :LOL:

MichaelG":3g52zl15 said:
Greg, I think you used the same amp throughout the entire clip. :lol: :LOL:

Kidding man.... but that is how negligible the differences really are. You could have hit the strings harder and made more difference than what I can hear. Good tone in that clip....

Τhanks a lot mate!!!
Cab shootout please!!!!
(Greenback RI vs Heritage PLEASE!!!)

nevusofota":yts0u00l said:
victim5150":yts0u00l said:
First of all I really dig the riff and the clip overall sounds fantastic so props man. The difference between the 3 is so small. It is really hard to hear any difference. I owned an original block letter and combo and now own the 5150 III 100 watt and 50 watt. Always thought the high gain channels on all of them sounded nearly indentical with only channels 1 & 2 being the big deciding factor on the 5150 III for me. I'll go with 1-5150 III, 2- 5150 II and 3-5150.
And that is why, my friend, you are called Victim5150 :lol: :LOL:

Lmao! I guess these old ears have a little life still left in them after all. :rock:

Wow, I was totally wrong. I preferred 1 and thought that was the original 5150. My least favorite was 3. Turns out from the clip I liked the 5150iii the best and the 5150 the least.

blackba":1jcfy3qf said:
Wow, I was totally wrong. I preferred 1 and thought that was the original 5150. My least favorite was 3. Turns out from the clip I liked the 5150iii the best and the 5150 the least.

Exact same for me! :lol: :LOL:

Still hard headed enough that i'll buy a 5150 over the III, just to prove myself right! :confused: :D

D-Rock":1cq6pz7e said:
I like amp #1 here and I'm thinking its the III.
My guess is that it goes III, II, I in the clip.
Great job by the way!
Yay! I was right!! \:D/

This is the first blind poll (with more than 2 choices at least) in forum history that I took the time to answer and got the right results :)

Back