A Wondrous Adventure: SLO Clone Build (Now with Clips)

• Thread starter Thread starter FourT6and2
  • Start date Start date
FourT6and2":38g7fvmp said:
IndyWS6":38g7fvmp said:
FourT6and2":38g7fvmp said:
IndyWS6":38g7fvmp said:
Nice job on the coaxial cables. The one on the left needed to be about 3mm longer so that the length of the segment before it turns down to the tube socket exactly matched the one on the right. ;)

No joke, that actually crossed my mind when I was wiring it up... :lol: :LOL: But the coax cable is pretty tricky. So I said fuck it.
Based on what I've seen so far, I thought that you might have noticed it. We must be kindred (albeit OCD) spirits :lol: :LOL:

haha! Well I can justify it by the happy accident that when I go to wire up the preamp-to-sockets with that purple wire, V2 needs more clearance. So having that coax cable higher up gives me that clearance. Whereas on V1, you don't need as much space. So my OCD says it's ok!
OCD - it's all about justification :lol: :LOL:

Input finally done. Pain in the buns!

photo_5_by_haftelm-d7q8m72.jpg

Heaters are finally done. Phew! Took longer than doing it the usual way with twisted pairs. But I think overall it was easier. Sure as hell looks better too.

I have some parts on the way for the elevated heater mod too. Just a cap and two resistors for referencing to the choke on pin 6 of the power tubes. Then I can do the faux center tap and finish the rest of the power sockets. Then put in the transformers and start on the power section.

heaters1_by_haftelm-d7qehkk.jpg

heaters2_by_haftelm-d7qehkj.jpg

heaters3_by_haftelm-d7qehkg.jpg

heaters_4_by_haftelm-d7qehkd.jpg

heaters5_by_haftelm-d7qehkb.jpg

Love the photos; wonderfully lit. You must spend as much time on photographing the build as you do on the actual build! Thanks for being so meticulous. It is much appreciated.

mxk116":zzbsg8w4 said:
Love the photos; wonderfully lit. You must spend as much time on photographing the build as you do on the actual build! Thanks for being so meticulous. It is much appreciated.

Hah, thanks! I'm just using my iPhone in front of a window. ;)

Most of the power section is done. Once the preamp is wired up I can finalize the remaining connections on the power board. It's not as tidy as I really want. But there are a lot of wire runs in the SLO. Good thing they're all covered by the power PCB :) And I spliced in the lead from the OT to the HT Fuse.

power_3_by_haftelm-d7rezzc.jpg

power_2_by_haftelm-d7rezzh.jpg

power_section_1_by_haftelm-d7rezzr.jpg

splice_by_haftelm-d7rezzn.jpg

Elevated heater mod wired up. This part was like playing that Operation board game.

eh_mod_by_haftelm-d7rl6uv.jpg

Damn, power tube sockets took a long time. But they're finally done. Just need to add some heat shrink to the grid stoppers. Next steps will be the loop jacks, impedance selector, and then I can move on to the preamp board wiring and I'll be done.

photo_3_by_haftelm-d7rqqjb.jpg

photo_4_by_haftelm-d7rqqjk.jpg

photo_5_by_haftelm-d7rqqjm.jpg

stoppers_by_haftelm-d7rqqjt.jpg

Are you working off of a specific build manual? If so, can you send a link?

yngwiestrat":r77rtjsh said:
Are you working off of a specific build manual? If so, can you send a link?

No sorry. All I have is a schematic and basic layout diagram. Both are available at the SLO Clone Forum.

Output jacks, impedance selector, and FX loop return wired up. I'm not going to do the slave out. I never use it. And I can always add it later if I want to run wet/dry or something.

output_by_haftelm-d7rvwcp.jpg

loop_jack_by_haftelm-d7rvwcv.jpg

loop_return_by_haftelm-d7rvwcw.jpg

closeup_by_haftelm-d7rvwcr.jpg

top_1_by_haftelm-d7rvwd2.jpg

So close!

Had to figure out a way to hold the preamp board up off the table, while at the same time keeping the lead I was soldering from falling out since they're installed from the top of the board. That's where these Helping Hands come in handy. Was pretty easy. :)

board2_by_haftelm-d7s66pm.jpg

board3_by_haftelm-d7s66pi.jpg

board_4_by_haftelm-d7s66pc.jpg

preamp_large_by_haftelm-d7s66p1.jpg

Back