Alternatives to Suhr Aldrich?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rex Rocker
  • Start date Start date
I actually find the JB kinda dark. It definitely has a rolled off high end in my opinion, where it peaks out is the upper mids IMO.
I agree. I also find it’s midrange a little bit bloated. I still can enjoy them in a lot of guitars, but there’s just better stuff out there imo, even with the vintage versions I have. I’ll sell them eventually

The Duncan SH-5 Custom is supposed to sound very similar to the aldrich, it might be the ticket. I got one and I dig it in some guitars.
I got the Custom in my Strat. I actually replaced the Custom with the JB in my LTD. I think they're almost polar opposites as far as EQ goes, LOL.

Is the Aldrich like that as well, then?

I actually find the JB kinda dark. It definitely has a rolled off high end in my opinion, where it peaks out is the upper mids IMO.
Upper mids with the JB are very present for me. I do enjoy the pickup though.

I got the Custom in my Strat. I actually replaced the Custom with the JB in my LTD. I think they're almost polar opposites as far as EQ goes, LOL.

Is the Aldrich like that as well, then?
Custom is a good pickup. Just gotta find the right guitar for it though.

Yeah, if you thought the Custom Custom was brittle, I doubt you'd like the JB or most other Duncans. The Custom Custom has got to be one of the smoothest most well-behaved pickups in the Duncan line.
I can't imagine a "hotter JB". Yikes.

I know it's a blade pick-up, but the Wes Hauch Jupiter 6 impressed the hell out of me.

Reactions: D20
Toying with the idea of swapping pups on my Les Paul. I'm enjoying the JB in my LTD. Kinda want something along the lines of a slightly hotter, tighter, and meaner JB, but not as different as a Duncan Distortion is. Kinda want something in between a JB and a Distortion leaning more towards the JB. I want something Alnico 5 in the 17K range.

So I know the Aldrich is sorta that. What else should I be looking at?

Anyone tried the Alex Skolnick Duncan? Maybe a Suhr SSH+ as well? I know the Tone Zone is kinda that as well... but can a Tone Zone handle downtuned Metal being in a Les Paul? Probably not, right?

How about a Duncan Metal Fatigue? May also want to try a Duncan RTM if you're not hung up on having an Alnico 5

For higher output LP tones, I love the Aldrich, Rebel Yells, Holy Divers. If you’re looking for a different flavor of JB, try the RTM. It is definitely hotter than the JB and. Little smoother.

Try a Notso Sure Ostrich it's supposed to be a more mean overly aggressive version they started offering them in 2023 by request.

BKP Nailbomb Alnico
BKP Crawler
BKP Holy Diver
those 3 a what I'd try in the LP

Very interesting suggestions so far! There is an Anderson H3 for sale locally. Is that JB-ish at all, though? I thought those were very broadband with lots of lows and highs.

Very interesting suggestions so far! There is an Anderson H3 for sale locally. Is that JB-ish at all, though? I thought those were very broadband with lots of lows and highs.

IMO, no. I've had both in the same guitar (an Anderson)

Way different things in EQ and feel.

I'm itching to try a Norton in the bridge of a Les Paul....

ToneNerd Roxy was made to replace the middy JB in a particular guitar, shooting for something like the SSH+ in my Suhr Modern. More lows, highs, clarity, less mids. What came out was something in between, with plenty of lows, a bit tighter than the SSH+, mids a bit shifted, great articulation and cleanup. I wish I still had the Roxy to try in other guitars. Sold it with the guitar it was made for.

FWIW, I like the SSH+ in my Modern, which has a mahogany body and maple top, like an LP. Despite the maple neck/fretboard and long scale, it sounds ballpark to my Les Pauls.
It has more low end than my other guitars, and it's pretty hot, but it's open and reactive. I can get any kind of sound I want out of it.

Try to find a Duncan super v, great pickup, but they haven’t been made in a long time. Its a lynch signature.

Back