Any Love for Floyd Rose Bridges?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
Suhr Purpleburst Modern_C.jpeg
My Guitar.jpeg

I keep at least one Floyd rose style guitar around at all times. Right now it’s a 1987 Kramer Pacer!

Yup. I especially love them blocked so they stay in tune when a string breaks. Extra benefit is if the string breaks near the bridge, you can reinstall it and keep going without changing it out.

Yup. I especially love them blocked so they stay in tune when a string breaks. Extra benefit is if the string breaks near the bridge, you can reinstall it and keep going without changing it out.
Agreed, all my floyds are blocked and have big brass blocks and esp arming adjusters
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.26.03 AM.png

I used to despise them, but then took some time to figure out how to adjust them better and now I like them way better. They still are more of a hassle than fixed to me, but they are comfortable and I enjoy playing them. I never use the wammy bar, but I don’t mind a floyd now when I used to just gloss right passed them.

Best thing about them is rock steady tuning. I used to order custom builds with Floyd for that reason. I would add the big brass block. Pretty chunky tight tones. Palm mutes and epic galloping are rad on Floyd’s.

But, I got so sick of changing the strings in Floyd’s. But besides string changes I like them. I never even use the bar and manipulate the sound with it. Maybe I would grab the bar to mess with the sound of feedback but that would be it.

I can restring a Floyd guitar start to finish in about 15 mins counting steel wooling the back of the neck, the frets and the fretboard and stretching out the strings. I can restring a locking tuners standard trem in about 5 minutes doing the same steel wool cleaning treatment. So yeah, I lose about 10 minutes stringing a Floyd guitar but then I spend about a combined 2-3 hours tuning the non-Floyd guitar between string changes :)

I have too many - it's a love/hate relationship. I DO love that purple guitar in the OP though!

I can restring a Floyd guitar start to finish in about 15 mins counting steel wooling the back of the neck, the frets and the fretboard and stretching out the strings. I can restring a locking tuners standard trem in about 5 minutes doing the same steel wool cleaning treatment. So yeah, I lose about 10 minutes stringing a Floyd guitar but then I spend about a combined 2-3 hours tuning the non-Floyd guitar between string changes :)

Well said!! All my guitars have floyd bridges.
I rarely use the whammy. But once that bridge is set spot on maybe a 1/8 inch turn on the fine tuners. But I can play the guitar really aggressive and it’s always in tune. My Les pauls I had seemed I just looked at the strings. Thing went out of tune. Haha 😂

Nice to see some love for Floyds here. -- all my floyds are blocked and have big brass blocks and esp arming adjusters. I actually have not used the bar in the past 10 years but stuck with Floyd due to the tuning stability, look and feel.

I'm a big fan of the Floyd, so long as it's blocked for dive-only action. String changes for me are no hassle at all.

I've got a Non-Fine Tuner bridge waiting in the wings for my Strat project. Looking forward to trying that for the first time.

when they are set up yes. setting them up can be a hassle. just did mine about 10 minutes ago on that Kramer 84 I just got. Dude had it all outta wack. Not leveled. Post on the bottom E side was all raised up. Strange. Everything is good to go now. This is the only one I ever had that was dive only. Intonation was spot on though. It's a 1000 series....

Really dig that guitar Steve.
dude it is awesome. and jb is coil tapped. great for playing cleans....It was missing the trem arm and I ordered a replacement off ebay. instead of chrome they sent black(which looks cool btw), but it sticks up and out really high. It's been years since I had one...maybe it's normal?

I’m not sure if I was using my trem arm last couple years I played. But I haven’t picked up a guitar in over a year

Back