Anyone use WCR pickups?

• Thread starter Thread starter 4nkam
  • Start date Start date
it's like there's a freaking low pass with a shelf around 5k or something, going into the amp! Plugging into a 101b with a riff raff was actually the literal darkest, muddiest high gain sound i've ever played, ever.

I end up dialing amps with actually MORE gain than with lower output non-BKP pickups because i'm trying to get detail and grind that just isnt there out of them.
I agree with this assessment, but to be fair, that kind of works well for taming the fizz on certain amps prone to a fizzy top end (Rectos, Ubers). But they're a horrid pairing with amps that don't require such corrective measures. I had Painkillers that measured 14-15K (IIRC) but they had so little push that it felt like removing a gain stage from the amp. Fuck that!

I agree with this assessment, but to be fair, that kind of works well for taming the fizz on certain amps prone to a fizzy top end (Rectos, Ubers). But they're a horrid pairing with amps that don't require such corrective measures. I had Painkillers that measured 14-15K (IIRC) but they had so little push that it felt like removing a gain stage from the amp. Fuck that!

I don't use rectos or ubers, ever, so this checks out. If something is too fizzy it's immediately disqualified for me anyways.

Maybe that's what I'm missing? It's also possible my playing technique or how I dial stuff in just doesn't respond as well to their stuff, in general.

There are relatively few guitar gear brands I have had experiences that awful with, but they're one of em. And I stupidly did the "well, I must've just got the wrong model for me" thing and went through a half dozen of their pickups.

The first time I plugged in a godwood, or roxy, or ironman, it was just immediate "OH FUCK YEAH THAT'S NICE" instead of incessantly tweaking to try and make it not suck ass.

Yes, but it can be done so much better with other pickups that actually have life/character to their sound like a vintage Schaller Hex neck, ‘70’s Bill Lawrence L100 or for some recent made (but imo not as good options) some of the Wagner’s. I feel choosing a boring/lifeless pickup is creating a new problem to fix the initial one, sorta like how they made progressively worse sounding revisions of amps for the same reasons (Recto’s, VH4’s, Uber’s). The Painkillers I especially didn’t like. Too nasal/honky in the mids

I guess it maybe depends on revisions, but with my Rev 1 Uber and even Rev C Recto I find myself actually wanting brighter, more cutting pickups with upper mid grind to work with their darker, fatter character. Some of my favorites being ‘60’s Gretsch and Guild pickups (incredible). I also prefer brighter speakers with them. I find tubes like the ‘50’s Bugle Boys, RFT’s or Fivre’s can be solid ways to lessen some fizz, yet still add aggression in the right places like the lower and center mid area

Back