P-Bass or Modern Bass

• P-Bass

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Modern Bass

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
midnightlaundry
midnightlaundry
I've come to identify and appreciate the sound of a P-Bass style Bass.. I have a Bass with Soapbar style pickups with a neck-thru Body that might be considered Modern but it doesn't seem to be as punchy.

POLL: There can only be one.
P-Bass or Modern Bass

For most stuff nothing even comes close to a good P-Bass except for a good Music Man/G&L. Nothing sits in the mix as well. Maybe it's different for heavy stuff but if both bassists are equal in every way I'm hiring the guy with the p-bass.

I have this thing but it doesn't sound like this..

BASS.jpg

P-bass for when you need it to sit well-above the kick and project that mid-rangey old-school vibe. Motown and the Quincy Jones' "Roots" soundtrack spring to mind.

J-bass / modern bass for everything else, especially when you need non-tubby lows and punch.

Awesome
I am the only one that voted modern.

Probably the only one that played bass a few years before switching to guitar. Played drums a few years before bass.

Awesome
I am the only one that voted modern.

Probably the only one that played bass a few years before switching to guitar. Played drums a few years before bass.
I played bass a few years before switching to guitar. Played clarinet a few years before bass :)

@midnightlaundry That AP5 is a great bass. I played it once, guy was selling it for 500 Eur and I regret not buying it.

Back