Best high end strat for the money?

• Thread starter Thread starter VanMalmsteen
  • Start date Start date
I have an EJ Virginia that is great, and a 2014 CS ‘54 that is really really good. Although I don’t own one, every James Tyler I have picked up has been amazing.

I’ll have to throw nash in the mix . I had a relic”d s63 I really loved .

some great information in this thread...some stuff i've never heard of...

curious on the OP's budget... Robert Cray Start new is little over 1K..the EJ Strat new is over 2.1K ??

Anderson for me, they always seem to play and sound amazing.

My favorites are late 90s American Deluxe. Mine turnes out to be the rearer one with the Floyd Rose 2 locking trem and humbucker. That version gets some hate for the LSR ruling nut, but I love the set up. With the locking tuners the tuning is as stable as a regular Floyd Rose.

At this time this was the best you could get before you got into the custom shop. The neck is what makes this guitar. Don't know why but this guitar punches way above its class. Giving the choice between my 99 strat and 88 Jem, the strat every time.

In 1993 I was on serious hunt in L.A. for a good Strat, willing to spend a couple of Gs for it. Tried everything... from any boutique "you name the brand" ones to anything else. Dozens!!! All of them missed something I wanted... could be the neck feel or the pickups sound or else... so I gave up!
I tried a mexican Fender Strat, lake placid blue... and man... 300 bucks... got it.
Then I had my friend luthier working the fingerboard radius AS I LIKE and installed the frets I LIKE; bought a set of Duncan "Vintage Rails" which I LIKE a lot... added the first Wilkinson VS100 tremolo and Sperzel tuners I LIKE and an Alembic Strat-o-Blaster preamp I LIKE and pickguard/straplocks I LIKE.
It became a fantastic guitar I have been using a lot in the last 28 years! I spent a lot less than buying any of those super strats which didn't have all the things I liked on board... and it really feels "mine". Fantastic guitar! Whoever has played it... remained speechless!
I'd do the same today or probably look into Warmoth parts.

MightStrat.jpg

In 1993 I was on serious hunt in L.A. for a good Strat, willing to spend a couple of Gs for it. Tried everything... from any boutique "you name the brand" ones to anything else. Dozens!!! All of them missed something I wanted... could be the neck feel or the pickups sound or else... so I gave up!
I tried a mexican Fender Strat, lake placid blue... and man... 300 bucks... got it.
Then I had my friend luthier working the fingerboard radius AS I LIKE and installed the frets I LIKE; bought a set of Duncan "Vintage Rails" which I LIKE a lot... added the first Wilkinson VS100 tremolo and Sperzel tuners I LIKE and an Alembic Strat-o-Blaster preamp I LIKE and pickguard/straplocks I LIKE.
It became a fantastic guitar I have been using a lot in the last 28 years! I spent a lot less than buying any of those super strats which didn't have all the things I liked on board... and it really feels "mine". Fantastic guitar! Whoever has played it... remained speechless!
I'd do the same today or probably look into Warmoth parts.

View attachment 80282
Very cool, and the money you saved bought you all that serious rack gear.

Very cool, and the money you saved bought you all that serious rack gear.

Nope! But I saved a LOT of money buying that cool supergear buying it when people started to buy crappy pedals.
RIGHT THERE I saved a fortune, trust me!

It’s a strat, build it yourself. Or pay a good luthier a couple hundy to assemble it for you. No reason to spend more than $2k on any ‘Fender’ IMO—parts and finishers are out there and very reasonable.

Of course I have very large hands that love a fatback Warmoth neck profile so I’m usually not a fan of any off the rack anything

For non Fender Strats the Lee Levinson Blades that were made in Switzerland (90's) are some of the best I have ever played. I have 3 of them. The quality control was exceptional and they play and sound fantastic. The proprietary VSC control is sick and adjustable. You can get so many strat sounds and tailor it to your liking. That's why I prefer them to Fenders.

The only Fender strat I kept was the 6oth Anniversary. Its awesome too. If you want to stick with Fender I highly recommend it.

My fave Fender. The HM strat. Think late 80s early 90s. They are incredible guitars.
I had forgotten about those. Haven't played one in years. I remember the first time one came through the store I was working at. Our jaws dropped.

I haven't played it in a while, but I forgot to mention my Riggio Sierra is actually I think the best recent made Strat I've had. Very resonant, great tone on it. I never liked any of the Grosh's I've tried. I remember them being sterile and kinda stiff feeling. Nash's imo are decent, good for the price, but nowhere near as good as Riggio and a few other Strats I've been through, and I really shouldn't be saying that since I'm selling a Nash myself haha

Back