Best of All Worlds Tour announced by Sammy Hagar

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
Sammy trashed Ed in his book. Fuck him. He is NOT Van Halen.
He wrote the songs with them, he is as much “Van Halen” on those songs as the other writers.

Perhaps he trashed Ed in his book b/c Ed was a dick? I assume Sammy would be a better source on that than randos who never met Ed? 🤷‍♂️

I looked up tickets close to where I live and the worst seat available is $168 and for the good seats were $368 and I just can't pay that price I've seen them three times with Sammy once with Gary cherone and once with David Lee Roth and without Eddie I just can't pay those prices.
That sucks. I grabbed 4 seats for $300 total

He wrote the songs with them, he is as much “Van Halen” on those songs as the other writers.

Perhaps he trashed Ed in his book b/c Ed was a dick? I assume Sammy would be a better source on that than randos who never met Ed? 🤷‍♂️
I respect your opinion and you are a cool dude on this forum so we'll just agree to disagree. Sammy wrote some songs for sure. Some of those songs were super popular. But his stuff was more pop than hard rock - which I missed from the Van Hager time. Sammy solo stuff and Montrose I really liked a lot.

Sammy got more famous due to Ed than he ever could have imagined. Sure Ed was a dick, but it was part of his personality. Ed (and Alex) still gave Sammy the job. I guess Sammy didn't have the forethought to think there might be reunion opportunities in the future. And then to ask Dave to join and then basically take it back? Saying "if you can remember the words". Dick move. Fuck him. Ed and Alex were Van Halen and they had the greatest frontman in DLR for 5 of some of he best Rock ever and Michael to sing those amazing chorus melodies.

I can see this is going to be an on-going watercooler subject for the for the foreseeable future.

There will be folks on both sides of the fence on this. Carry on.

Last edited:
I get it. Sometimes we forget these guys are people, not pieces of a puzzle. I was there when great guitar music was everywhere and now it’s almost nowhere. Any chance to see a glimpse of what we used to have I just really appreciate

I get it. Sometimes we forget these guys are people, not pieces of a puzzle. I was there when great guitar music was everywhere and now it’s almost nowhere. Any chance to see a glimpse of what we used to have I just really appreciate
xRadYh3l.jpg

Really good interview they did with Eddie Trunk the same day they did the Stern appearance. Eddie spends a lot of time talking to Satch and actually has some excellent questions considering Eddie doesn’t play, but it goes a lot more into how all of this came to be, specifically how much time Joe had to prep.

A week and a half, he was given some songs to learn, then those songs were changed throughout the week as Joe studied YouTube vids and bootlegs while learning the songs. Also said he put 11’s on his guitar since he was tuning down and once he was actually playing live realized he went too far because the actual thickness of the strings was fucking with him.

There’s a Guitar World interview where he really gets into some details in regards to getting the tones and everything. The TMP on Stern was (surprise surprise) just something done because it was a radio gig where they were going direct. One thing he mentioned I thought was cool was he noted the difference in Ed’s tone with the singer change and basically said “Some of those songs need to have that basic, guitar into an amp tone. Then other stuff they did lends itself to the effected tones”

As a fan of both eras of the band, I fully agree. I wouldn’t want to hear “Runnin With The Devil” played with the Balance tone, like I wouldn’t want to hear “7th Seal” played with the VH1 tone.

Satch isn’t unfamiliar with 5150’s, he’s got an original one that he’s used one very record and also said he’s got some of the newer 5153’s, so I suspect he’ll be bringing those out.

Now Sammy is basically taking his offer back saying in so many words that he "only meant a song or two at a show - if he can remember the words"

This is yet another example of why I'm going to skip this shitshow. Plus, Sammy trashed Ed in his book. Fuck him. He is NOT Van Halen.

https://www.vhnd.com/2023/11/22/hagar-thats-not-what-i-meant/
Yep exactly why this guy has always grated on me. And good on Roth, he knew accepting would call Sam's bluff.

Just absolutely stunning that Sam ever thinks he was on the same level as VH as a solo artist, mind blowing really. The sales figures don't lie.

That said, no issue with Sam taking these guys out there to play some VH tunes, he's got as much right to play those tunes he did with VH as Dave had going out an opening for Kiss a few years back. And I'm sure Mike and Bonham need the money.

Just don't be a dick about it like he's always been, show respect for original VH which he's always struggled to do because without that mountain you stepped onto, he'd still be singing songs about a speed limit that ceased to exist decades ago.

Last edited:
Just don't be a dick about it like he's always been, show respect for original VH which he's always struggled to do because without that mountain you stepped onto, he'd still be singing songs about a speed limit that ceased to exist decades ago.

Yeah, Sammy’s definitely been the bigger dick. I was stoked when DLR went out with VH in ‘07 and was doing songs from both eras, something Sammy always refused to do because he wouldn’t acknowledge there was a VH before he came along.

Yeah, Sammy’s definitely been the bigger dick. I was stoked when DLR went out with VH in ‘07 and was doing songs from both eras, something Sammy always refused to do because he wouldn’t acknowledge there was a VH before he came along.
No Sam era songs when Dave rejoined in 2007 thru the final show on 2015

No Sam era songs when Dave rejoined in 2007 thru the final show on 2015

I was being facetious. 😉

Dave has never sang a Sammy song and while Sammy has made it clear he can’t stand DLR’s lyrics, he’s recognized the DLR era as being important to the fans and sang DLR era songs.

I was being facetious. 😉

Dave has never sang a Sammy song and while Sammy has made it clear he can’t stand DLR’s lyrics, he’s recognized the DLR era as being important to the fans and sang DLR era songs.
I had a feeling lol . Dave did sing one Sammy/Montrose song way back in the club days , Make It Last but of course that was a different time

Back