Best Recorded SLO-100 tones

• Thread starter Thread starter easstudios
  • Start date Start date
I hear a lack of high mids in the SLO tone. It seems like it has more of a low mid kinda sound.

Oh OK. So it wasn't their fav amp to use then. I'm guessing they mostly use 5150's hey?
They're gear whores. They use something different for each album.

I remember Scott Splawn was raving about them using a Splawn in one of their albums when in fact, they had used a Fuchs or something else.

But yeah, at the time, they were going for a fatter/rounder tone than a bright and cutting tone. Most of the time, they are.

I don't care what anyone says, SLO is a 90s tone, and the 90s were badass. There was so much going on musically, and SLO was smack dab in the middle of it. Grunge, blues, metal, jam band...it was there.

I'm not trying to big-note myself and say this should be in the list of 'great Soldano tones' - but this track I produced maybe 15 years ago is a 90's SLO.

It's really just to highlight it doesn't have to be thick and low-mid focused. It can get fairly Marshally and bitey with the right combo of guitar, cab etc.

In retrospect it sounds like a Recto/2203 blend, but it's all SLO.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to big-note myself and say this should be in the list of 'great Soldano tones' - but this track I produced maybe 15 years ago is a 90's SLO.

It's really just to highlight it doesn't have to be thick and low-mid focused. It can get fairly Marshally and bitey with the right combo of guitar, cab etc.

In retrospect it sounds like a Recto/2203 blend, but it's all SLO.

Did anything ever happen with this band? I like their sound nicely done. They remind me of something I can’t put my finger on

Did anything ever happen with this band? I like their sound nicely done. They remind me of something I can’t put my finger on
No not really. Not much of a scene for that genre down under at that time.

Yeah the singer reminds me of someone but I couldn't never quite pick it.

These guys might be better known with you Northern hemisphere types. I engineered this, producer was David Bottrill (Tool, Mastodon, Muse). Hot Rod 100 on this one, but pretty similar to the SLO in a mix:

Last edited:
No not really. Not much of a scene for that genre down under at that time.

Yeah the singer reminds me of someone but I couldn't never quite pick it.

These guys might be better known with you Northern hemisphere types. I engineered this, producer was David Bottrill (Tool, Mastodon, Muse). Hot Rod 100 on this one, but pretty similar to the SLO in a mix:

Video is showing up as unavailable. What’s the band?

I’m gonna assume Warren used his SLO on 2010s Infestation album . I think Carlos Cavazo used one too during his time with the band here

Mick Mars on 2000s New Tattoo album . I’ll guess he was still using the SLO here

They do, the SLO has made it on to all of like 2 tracks out of 67 KSE records
As Daylight Dies is predominantly SLO to my ear (and knowledge), and I believe they used it on the live album released around then. Pretty sure those records are the only ones where SLO made it onto the record. Probably my favourite tones they ever got though, sounds absolutely huge. Some guy did an interview with Joel on youtube where they talk about it. Its an SLO with an Andre the Giant sticker on it. Supposedly no FX loop and maybe some other tweaks to the circuit.

I managed to recreate the tone pretty close - I actually stumbled on something with my modded Jet City, I noticed boosting the crunch channel with a tubescreamer got me most of the way there. Works pretty well with modellers too, the main thing is that 2001era Mesa cab that Adam uses (the sound of KSE/Times of Grace/All That Remains etc is probably more down to that cab than any other piece of gear).

Back