Best Recorded SLO-100 tones

• Thread starter Thread starter easstudios
  • Start date Start date
As Daylight Dies is predominantly SLO to my ear (and knowledge), and I believe they used it on the live album released around then. Pretty sure those records are the only ones where SLO made it onto the record. Probably my favourite tones they ever got though, sounds absolutely huge. Some guy did an interview with Joel on youtube where they talk about it. Its an SLO with an Andre the Giant sticker on it. Supposedly no FX loop and maybe some other tweaks to the circuit.

I managed to recreate the tone pretty close - I actually stumbled on something with my modded Jet City, I noticed boosting the crunch channel with a tubescreamer got me most of the way there. Works pretty well with modellers too, the main thing is that 2001era Mesa cab that Adam uses (the sound of KSE/Times of Grace/All That Remains etc is probably more down to that cab than any other piece of gear).

You are 100 percent right homie about Joel’s SLO. No fx loop, and one channel only I believe. I’ve got some screenshots of a text message all about it, I’ll try and find them. But Joel’s is for sure not stock. But I do agree, as daylight dies does sound fantastic no doubt. I’ll listen to this when I get home.

I'm not trying to big-note myself and say this should be in the list of 'great Soldano tones' - but this track I produced maybe 15 years ago is a 90's SLO.

It's really just to highlight it doesn't have to be thick and low-mid focused. It can get fairly Marshally and bitey with the right combo of guitar, cab etc.

In retrospect it sounds like a Recto/2203 blend, but it's all SLO.

Nice job on that track. Sounds really good.

I’m gonna assume Warren used his SLO on 2010s Infestation album . I think Carlos Cavazo used one too during his time with the band here

I saw Ratt on this tour. Warren had SLO's on stage and Carlos had Blackstar's. Didn't really see anything off stage either. Pretty much each had racks on stage with two heads each and a few cabs from what I can remember.

I saw Ratt on this tour. Warren had SLO's on stage and Carlos had Blackstar's. Didn't really see anything off stage either. Pretty much each had racks on stage with two heads each and a few cabs from what I can remember.
You gave me a perfect excuse post this lol

http://www.woodytone.com/2010/04/12/detailed-warren-demartini-gear-rundown/
https://www.woodytone.com/2010/04/30/carlos-cavazo-details-his-ratt-gear/
75C941D8-EE1F-449D-8F6E-8F43F6280A80.jpeg
A05B0BEF-A1CD-4697-A4A5-ABDC76DE304E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job on that track. Sounds really good.
Thanks man. Quality band, great live sound so it translated pretty well.

The guitarist Joel is one of Australia's best really. He's been featured in a bunch of our YT videos but it's live where he really shines, monster player.

This was maybe the 2nd take, and the time signature is all over the place.

I'm not sure about their first album, but all the others feature the Hot Rod 100. Great sounding amp, really up there with the SLO I reckon.
I think I'd read it was a JCM800/900 and a borrowed Les Paul mostly.
It might have been in a guitar mag many, many moons ago, so I could be wrong. I seem to also recall Johns saying he was excited to play a real Les Paul for the album. They were only kids back then and I don't think they had much good gear.

I think I'd read it was a JCM800/900 and a borrowed Les Paul mostly.
It might have been in a guitar mag many, many moons ago, so I could be wrong. I seem to also recall Johns saying he was excited to play a real Les Paul for the album. They were only kids back then and I don't think they had much good gear.
Yeah sounds about right, I don't think a lot of 15 year olds had Soldano's back then!

Did anything ever happen with this band? I like their sound nicely done. They remind me of something I can’t put my finger on
Reminds me of Incubus, and alot of the earlier 2000s drop D bands, like Dust For Life, Pushmonkey...and all those other bands that had post 90s AIC harmonies and kind of a numetal vibe.

Not actually SLO, but Nuno used a Soldano Super Lead 60 for the rhythm tracks on the 3 Sides to Every Story album which was the precusor to the SLO.

Also, while Lostprophets Start Something is not a very popular record and especially now is one that is infrequently listened to (given the horrific crimes of the lead singer), there are stellar SLO tones on there. The leads, midgain tones, and jangly arpeggios are a tele through an SLO (high gain rhythms are Uberschall)

The SLO 30 sounds pretty good in the newer clip by Zach Wish, comparing a JJ100, JVM, JCM800 and SLO30 using an amp switcher.
Start at 3:14.

Love mine, so easy to record! Here it is in more of a shred/instrumental tune vs all the vocal rock stuff posted.

I wasn't set up for video's at this time (2016), kinda lame visual clip but handy way to share a track...

I'm not trying to big-note myself and say this should be in the list of 'great Soldano tones' - but this track I produced maybe 15 years ago is a 90's SLO.

It's really just to highlight it doesn't have to be thick and low-mid focused. It can get fairly Marshally and bitey with the right combo of guitar, cab etc.

In retrospect it sounds like a Recto/2203 blend, but it's all SLO.

I would absolutely take this tone to the bushes :love: :love: :love:

This is what they sound like in the room no IR or DAW colored, pre production

Less noodling, more chugging! It sounds like a good 80's inspired tone with a slight bit of delay on it. Anyone notice the SLO has a grainy quality to it?

Amazon just dropped off the newly released Eric Clapton 24 Nights Rock CD. Eric is getting some really sweet tones on this one as he was on the original 24 Nights. You can see the SLOs in the middle of the pic.
9501D164-0488-4FCC-A0E9-1963F6F13246.jpeg
954FD2F0-F3CB-425F-94EC-AC7EB8610AB6.jpeg

Less noodling, more chugging! It sounds like a good 80's inspired tone with a slight bit of delay on it. Anyone notice the SLO has a grainy quality to it?
right we need more chugga videos, not enough on YT :ROFLMAO: Yes it is grainy. Cannot dial that out. A tone seekers dilemma is raw and a bit grainy or sweet and marshallesque but always traying to get some grain/hair in there. Hopefully that makes sense ?

right we need more chugga videos, not enough on YT :ROFLMAO: Yes it is grainy. Cannot dial that out. A tone seekers dilemma is raw and a bit grainy or sweet and marshallesque but always traying to get some grain/hair in there. Hopefully that makes sense ?
I'm not talking about hair or sizzle, i'm talking about graininess, like little granules of sound in the treble and mids... if that makes any sense?? like sandy or something?? I've heard it before in other amps, but the SLO seems to be the first high gain amp to have that kinda sound to it. I don't really care for that trait, but at least it's unique.

Back