Built an amp for myself...Twin reverb inspired... with clips!

• Thread starter Thread starter Fusionbear
  • Start date Start date
Here is the pedal board I assembled for it...

20240910_200118~2.jpg

How does the Blackbird sound with the amp cranked up? I have heard those can be on the dark side. You're using a closed back cab I assume?

Open back. It's not a dark speaker contrary to some. It also has a sweet chime to it. When cranked. It compresses nicely. I even like this speaker with my Quickrod! I'll post some clips soon...

Glad to see you're still building. Looks great, I bet it sounds even better. Clips!

When I first read 'Twin Reverb' I thought dang people can't give them away anymore meanwhile Princeton Reverbs are ridiculous prices and they're 1/4 of the amp a TR is.
Well, speaking as someone who went from a '73 SF Twin Reverb to a '74 SF Princeton Reverb, for the sole purpose of tackling a good surf/60's tone, the PR does it a lot better IME. I did replace the crappy Oxford speaker with an Eminence Legend years a go, to give it a more balanced tone.

Well, speaking as someone who went from a '73 SF Twin Reverb to a '74 SF Princeton Reverb, for the sole purpose of tackling a good surf/60's tone, the PR does it a lot better IME. I did replace the crappy Oxford speaker with an Eminence Legend years a go, to give it a more balanced tone.
They just don’t sound the same. Yeah a twin is a “lot more amp” for less in the current market, but louder and cleaner isn’t necessarily what everyone wants.

It’s funny everyone hates the old oxfords, and I don’t like them either from the couple times I’ve actually encountered them, but I actually do like using York audio’s IR’s of the 12” ones with my Deluxe. IR’s don’t fart out and fall apart. Even the IR’s don’t play very well with a lot of OD/distortion though.

Exactly. The Twin was 'more' amp, but just not that character on lower volumes with the drippy reverb that I was looking for.
And the Oxfords indeed crapped out quickly with a drive pedal (OCD, TS9, Marshall Guv'nor), whereas the Eminence kept its cool.
Also tried the Copperhead, and looking back, I maybe should have sticked with that, since it leant itself even more for country/surf/rockabilly tones, but the Legend had a bit more lows and less spikey highs.

Back