Built an amp for myself...Twin reverb inspired... with clips!

• Thread starter Thread starter Fusionbear
  • Start date Start date
Well, speaking as someone who went from a '73 SF Twin Reverb to a '74 SF Princeton Reverb, for the sole purpose of tackling a good surf/60's tone, the PR does it a lot better IME. I did replace the crappy Oxford speaker with an Eminence Legend years a go, to give it a more balanced tone.
I'd have more use for a PR than a TR too. I was more referring to the cost of all the parts/wattage...which doesn't matter that much with old amps like that. Nobody needs to be cranked TR loud. :ROFLMAO:

I'd have more use for a PR than a TR too. I was more referring to the cost of all the parts/wattage...which doesn't matter that much with old amps like that. Nobody needs to be cranked TR loud. :ROFLMAO:

When you hear the clips, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the edge of breakup up tones you can get with this amp at low volume. The pre-phase inverter master volume works really well...

But my main intention was to build a high power pedal platform...

Well, speaking as someone who went from a '73 SF Twin Reverb to a '74 SF Princeton Reverb, for the sole purpose of tackling a good surf/60's tone, the PR does it a lot better IME. I did replace the crappy Oxford speaker with an Eminence Legend years a go, to give it a more balanced tone.
I suspect you might be happier with a black or brown panel Twin/Showman/Bandmaster for surf stuff. I have a custom Showman clone with both brown and black panel circuits in it and it is perfect for surf! The speakers player a big role as well.

If Dick Dale, specifically, is what you're after he had a brown panel Showman.

Last edited:
When you hear the clips, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the edge of breakup up tones you can get with this amp at low volume. The pre-phase inverter master volume works really well...

But my main intention was to build a high power pedal platform...
You did that my friend… imagine years ago seeing Johnny winter and Rick derringer in a club and each of them are running through 6 twin reverbs each, stacked in a pyramid shape. But that was sweet.

6GA-4 is mine. One day I’ll take the time to replicate one.

This PTP custom work is nuts. Great job on the execution!
I wonder when the debut of @Fusionbear amps will happen?

Quick clip with no effects. It's a bit long...

Sounds pretty lush :yes:
Nice work
I definitely like what was going on starting at 9:30.
PS: It was really hard to hear you speak volume wise

Back