Combo Recommendations

• Thread starter Thread starter NowYou'rePlayingWithPower
  • Start date Start date
Very underrated!
Hell yeah. It was my grab and go, and when at home I ran in into a 4x12. Boosted and EQ in the loop, it nailed 80's thrash and beyond. I even had the 100 watt head. Killer amp.

So, we found a tweed Peavey Classic 50 mini full stack thing with 4x10 and a 1x15 cabinets for about 1/3 of the budget. Picking it up tomorrow with the truck. It wasn't really the direction we were trying to go, but it has the reverb and loop and separated the pieces aren't super heavy. We did try a hotrod, an ac30, an ad30, a bassbreaker, and a rocker 32 (which I think I'm going to also pick up for her, since she was gravitating toward it early.) This stack is cute. Not sure the relation with the classic 30, but I want it for myself. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Stock pic, will update:

1721264424203.jpeg

After 30 years of service to myself and now my Daughter, my JTM30 2x10 has died an honorable death.
It's probably the board, but I'm not going to fiddle with it right now as she has a couple shows coming up on Friday and Saturday.
Wanted y'all's opinions on a good somewhat lightweight combo for shoegaze/grunge/riot type tunes that's common enough.
Looking for something with reverb and a loop with a fenderish clean if possible.
I have a 65 Twin, but it's too heavy and too loud for her solo shows that are usually at cafes/houses/mic'd.
Thanks ❤️
I don't think you need to go as big as a Twin. I have an 18 watt Brown Deluxe that's loud as fuck. No reverb though. I'd maybe look into one of the older Fender 1x12 combos. Hotrod Deluxe or something.

I see my advice is a little late. An AC-15 would have been a solid choice too.

After 30 years of service to myself and now my Daughter, my JTM30 2x10 has died an honorable death.
It's probably the board, but I'm not going to fiddle with it right now as she has a couple shows coming up on Friday and Saturday.
Wanted y'all's opinions on a good somewhat lightweight combo for shoegaze/grunge/riot type tunes that's common enough.
Looking for something with reverb and a loop with a fenderish clean if possible.
I have a 65 Twin, but it's too heavy and too loud for her solo shows that are usually at cafes/houses/mic'd.
Thanks ❤️
Late to the discussion...

Not fender-ish, but my Marshall Origin 50 (I have the 1x12 combo and head) sounds great, can be low volume and loud, has a loop, maybe one of the 20W studio models?

I'm not a fan of reverb, why I opted for a Super Twin vs a Super Twin Reverb; but I do use my HX-Effects in 4CM with amps that have a loop, so I'd get reverb that way...i.e., maybe amp with reverb isn't necessary?

Not fender-ish, but my Marshall Origin 50 (I have the 1x12 combo and head) sounds great, has a loop, maybe one of the 20W studio models?

I'm not a fan of reverb, why I opted for a Super Twin vs a Super Twin Reverb; but I do use my HX-Effects in 4CM with amps that have a loop, so I'd get reverb that way...i.e., maybe amp with reverb isn't necessary?
I have two Twins and don't have the spring tanks in either of them. I personally think Fender combo reverb mostly sucks. Not enough parameter control. No mix and dwell controls is a deal breaker. But I had the stand alone Fender tank which will pretty much wreck your chances of finding another reverb that is worth a shit, especially digital. For good reverb-gain tones I have never found one. I have a nice Meris Mercury7 that sounds so lush and fat played clean but adds the same harshness to the high end under breakup like every digital reverb unit I have tried. By and large digital effects suck compared to their analog counterparts.

Reactions: rsm
I have two Twins and don't have the spring tanks in either of them. I personally think Fender combo reverb mostly sucks. Not enough parameter control. No mix and dwell controls is a deal breaker. But I had the stand alone Fender tank which will pretty much wreck your chances of finding another reverb that is worth a shit, especially digital. For good reverb-gain tones I have never found one. I have a nice Meris Mercury7 that sounds so lush and fat played clean but adds the same harshness to the high end under breakup like every digital reverb unit I have tried. By and large digital effects suck compared to their analog counterparts.
I'm just not a reverb user; washes out the tone; even in low "ambience" settings I'm like why even bother. That said, I've seen Dick Dale live doing his surfer music drenched in reverb which works great for that, and I enjoyed it, but not for what I want. I try to avoid amps with built in reverb as much as possible, since it's not something I want or need

So, we found a tweed Peavey Classic 50 mini full stack thing with 4x10 and a 1x15 cabinets for about 1/3 of the budget. Picking it up tomorrow with the truck. It wasn't really the direction we were trying to go, but it has the reverb and loop and separated the pieces aren't super heavy. We did try a hotrod, an ac30, an ad30, a bassbreaker, and a rocker 32 (which I think I'm going to also pick up for her, since she was gravitating toward it early.) This stack is cute. Not sure the relation with the classic 30, but I want it for myself. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 324879
now that's big and retro; and probably unique compared to what others around her are using!

I'm just not a reverb user; washes out the tone; even in low "ambience" settings I'm like why even bother. That said, I've seen Dick Dale live doing his surfer music drenched in reverb which works great for that, and I enjoyed it, but not for what I want
Me neither for exactly the reason you said....wash out. It's hard to get a combo tank at the right setting. Either there is no reverb or it's a wash out. Like I said, the Fender stand alone tank is a different beast but it's also like carrying an extra amp to every gig....and you need some medium length cables which further adds to the load and hassle since it's not really pedal board sized either and needs 110v. Mix and Dwell allow you to avoid the wash and dial in exactly what you need and the unit itself has a nice warm preamping effect to it that sounds great through a big Marshall or Fender both.

Me neither for exactly the reason you said....wash out. It's hard to get a combo tank at the right setting. Either there is no reverb or it's a wash out. Like I said, the Fender stand alone tank is a different beast but it's also like carrying an extra amp to every gig....and you need some medium length cables which further adds to the load and hassle since it's not really pedal board sized either and needs 110v. Mix and Dwell allow you to avoid the wash and dial in exactly what you need and the unit itself has a nice warm preamping effect to it that sounds great through a big Marshall or Fender both.
Still. I'm in the John Petrucci reverb club,

"I don't like it on electric. I don't know why." Dream Theater's John Petrucci singled out the one guitar effect he's not a fan of, telling The Captain : "I don't like reverb.

Preachin' da troof!

Still. I'm in the John Petrucci reverb club,

"I don't like it on electric. I don't know why." Dream Theater's John Petrucci singled out the one guitar effect he's not a fan of, telling The Captain : "I don't like reverb.
Get back to me after you tried the tank. I was, and am still the same way as you thanks to most reverb units being shit. But if the tank is provided, I will have me the most awesome sounding subtle reverb without washing out or ruining pick attack and dynamics. That's the problem with most reverbs...even set low they destroy the punch of your pick attack. It's also why I don't very much like echo/delay either. I probably would like a high quality unit but I haven't heard it yet.

Get back to me after you tried the tank. I was, and am still the same way as you thanks to most reverb units being shit. But if the tank is provided, I will have me the most awesome sounding subtle reverb without washing out or ruining pick attack and dynamics. That's the problem with most reverbs...even set low they destroy the punch of your pick attack. It's also why I don't very much like echo/delay either. I probably would like a high quality unit but I haven't heard it yet.
that's a pass from me. just don't like reverb, I can appreciate good reverb, like Dick Dale, but it's not for me.

My main effects are EQ, comp, chorus (on cleans), and delay; secondary include fuzz, univibe, wah, octave fuzz, envelope filter. Mostly just go straight into a tube amp without effects, and for single channel amps, I use an EQ for a lead tone and boost.

Just got the Ibanez Pentatone 5-band PEQ (backordered since January), though my Source Audio EQ2 will be tough to beat, as it has presets and many options, whereas the Ibanez is a WYSIWYG pedal that's much easier to tweak on the fly.

What I would like for effects in a pedal format, I have a software plugin that does it, is 8 x parallel modulated delays like Yamaha UD-Stomp / MagicStomp UB99. I doubt Yamaha will reissue, but maybe something from Line 6?

that's a pass from me. just don't like reverb, I can appreciate good reverb, like Dick Dale, but it's not for me.
If all you ever was served was greasy crock pot ribs you might say "that's a pass from me" until you tried some Carolina ribs. Meaning done right. I sold the tank cause it was too much BS to carry but tone wise it was outstanding. As I said EVEN I HATE REVERB but this is different so I was taking the time to talk to you about term life insurance haha.

• Haha
We're going to look at an orange rocker 32 and a fender hotrod of some sort later today. I should have added that she uses a decent amount of reverb and ambient effects (shimmer, space echo, some other crazy stuff sometimes), so reading about the rocker seems like it may be a good way to go for pedals like that. We'll probably hit up a few pawn shops before deciding, because you never know. Thanks for y'all's input!
SLO-30 combo didn’t make it to the final list it seems

View attachment 324879
KILLER SETUP

So she ended up using just the 4x10 with it on friday at a show in Seattle and last night in Tacoland. She doesn't seem totally stoked with the weight, so we're going to go through the 4x10 with some alnico speaker swaps to see if we can find something that works and cuts down a bit on the chunk for her to be more comfortable when she's by herself.

Right now it has blue marvels in it, which I think are eminence legends of some sort? I dunno, but I have a set of eminence k alnicos in 10s (3lbs each?) as well as a bunch of vintage speakers in 10" that we're going to try, so hopefully we find something good. It's a shame because we came across an Orange 4x10 cabinet that had all celestion golds in it for $550, which I kind of regret not buying if even for myself to play with. :ROFLMAO:

May still pickup a lighter weight 20-30w head in the near future, also. The rocker 32 is apparently two 15w amps to be used in stereo with effects and not really 30w capable. Still sounded awesome though. Regarding y'all's reverb comments; it's not my amp :ROFLMAO: And it's a fairly light touch, tbh.

So she ended up using just the 4x10 with it on friday at a show in Seattle and last night in Tacoland. She doesn't seem totally stoked with the weight, so we're going to go through the 4x10 with some alnico speaker swaps to see if we can find something that works and cuts down a bit on the chunk for her to be more comfortable when she's by herself.

Right now it has blue marvels in it, which I think are eminence legends of some sort? I dunno, but I have a set of eminence k alnicos in 10s (3lbs each?) as well as a bunch of vintage speakers in 10" that we're going to try, so hopefully we find something good. It's a shame because we came across an Orange 4x10 cabinet that had all celestion golds in it for $550, which I kind of regret not buying if even for myself to play with. :ROFLMAO:

May still pickup a lighter weight 20-30w head in the near future, also. The rocker 32 is apparently two 15w amps to be used in stereo with effects and not really 30w capable. Still sounded awesome though. Regarding y'all's reverb comments; it's not my amp :ROFLMAO: And it's a fairly light touch, tbh.
Bro start lifting

Bro start lifting

Well, not everyone is 6'6" he-men like y'all.
She does rock a xxx with a 4x12 and a sovtek mig50, too.
Her band wagon forces her to lift over the edge of the back to get out so it's not super easy without help.
When and where and whatnot.

Back