Do I reallllllllly need Floyds on my guitars going forward?

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt300ZXT
  • Start date Start date
Matt300ZXT
Matt300ZXT
I've always been a Floyd dude; not because I do all that cool stuff all those 80s guys did, even though from time to time I'll slap the end of the bar for the flutter or do a little vibrato, but nothing more than a Wilkinson could easily handle. I think I buy them because of a "keeping up with the Jones's" kind of thing. They're sort of a status symbol of 80s rock and almost necessary to be "cool". I don't have a problem restringing them, setting them up, maintaining them, etc, I've just always bought guitars (for the most part) with Floyds.

Some of my recent purchases in the past few years have been a basic run of the mill Tele build with a few upgrades over an off the line guitar. Another would be a Von K relic'ed Tele. Both have compensated brass saddles so they're a little upgraded there, but still a basic Tele style bridge and pickup configuration. I've bought 2 Warriors, both the same body style and have string through bodies with tune-o-matic bridges. And then I inherited that Epiphone Les Paul I made a post about a few days ago. I think once some 9s are put on it and I tweak it for my tastes, it'll play better....damn those 10s are STIFF and hard to play; but then again, I'm also having to rebuild my calluses from really not having played for about 3-4 months.

I have also bought one of those 90s Grover era Washburns with a Schaller Floyd on it. Also, my Chubtone "Reb Beach" inspired guitar has a Floyd as well. So 5 out of my last 7 purchases have been non trem guitars.

I want a hotrodded relic Tele that'll lend itself a little better to solos and hotter tones than the Von K can do, because it has those tall thin vintagey type frets (which I can overcome and still play on) and only 21 frets. I think I need to be talked out of my compulsion to buy Floyd guitars because of a look or image, and instead just buy guitars that kick ass. Is anyone here a licensed hypnotist and can reprogram me? lol I think it'd be a LOT easier for me to find a slick hotrodded relic Tele with more of a traditional style bridge than a Floyd or Wilkinson, unless I wanna pay Luxxtone money.

I'd say just find a MIM Strat and put a humbucker in it and throw it down the stairs a few times

I have three main types of guitars: floating trem guitars (Jackson Rhoads. EBMM Majesty), non-floating trem guitars (EBMM Kaizen), hardtail guitars (Ibanez PS).

Everything else is just a variation of these three main types; except I also have an old, acoustic archtop.

I find I go through phases of playing one type of guitar for awhile, then move on to another type...

so I like having variety in each of these types.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok to have wasted your whole life and tons of money on Floyd guitars, thinking you're a Floyd guy...when you really aren't? lol

What about the Sophia 2.92 tremolo.

It's 400.00 bucks that's the pro direct floyd drop in model.

With all else roughly equal I found Floyd equipped guitars are less resonant, less sustain like others said and they add a little clank to the sound (depends on taste whether that’s good or bad)

If all the other ingredients are there (good finish (aka no poly), woods, etc.) it should still be a great sounding guitar, but can sound even greater with a bridge that allows the strings to go through the body. I’ve even heard one guitar with a before and after changed to a string thru bridge and it was a huge difference to me

If anything, with respect to sound I think there are problematic specs with most stereotypical ‘80’s Super Strats like the Floyd’s and poly finish. Tone clearly wasn’t a priority with those designs even though there are good ones

I have been a big Floyd guy also for years, and I still own several, but I have been buying more hardtails and traditional trems lately. I guess I have ran out of divebombs, lol.

I am liking not having all the bulk under my hand. It feels like I have more room, and also the locking nut makes the strings have more tension and harder to bend. I am liking the slinkier feel of not having the locks.

I can relate…played Floyd guitars for years when I didn’t really care for them, especially changing strings.

I really like the Gotoh 510/locking tuners combo. Stable enough for the occasional evh dive.

If you're complaining about sustain, you're playing too slow.
If your complaining about tone, change the settings on your amp.
If you're complaining because you like to complain, you do you.
And no...you don't NEED a Floyd. Nobody does.

If you're complaining about sustain, you're playing too slow.
That's the most RT thing I think I've ever read on RT

Leo_Toasting_meme_banner.jpg

Floyds kill sustain--if for no other reason than that you should have some non trem guitars. A tele, a LP, a Firebird or 2...

Can someone explain the physics of this please? How does a floyd have less sustain? I can see fret width and pickup height making difference and maybe more resonant wood but don't understand how floyd would.?
I am thinking that once a guitar is tuned to pitch, the tension at bridge and nut would be the same no? Scale length starts right at last mm of where string is touching metal at both ends? I am asking not debating...

Probably because the metal is dense, ergo absorbing the vibrations and deadening sustain.

I love the tuning stability of FRs. However for the last few years I’ve been playing a Strat with vintage trem and I love it. Bridges do not play any bigger role for me when buying guitars like it used to do in the past when it was FR only. 👍

Floyd’s are awesome. I miss having a 6 string with one

Floyd's are great BUT I tried a Vega Trem and never went back....

I hate Floyd's so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Even though I play music that is Floyd centric, I think of them as a tone suck necessary evil for lots of players, especially lead centric players

There seems to be a "deadening effect" floyds have

Back