Does anyone remember smoke soaked gear?

• Thread starter Thread starter VonBonfire
  • Start date Start date
I’ve played one but didn’t realize channel 1 on these is the gain channel. Channel 2 is cleans. I couldn’t get channel 2 to sound gained up at all then found this out before it sold to give it a try.
Rivera's always have great sounding cleans, the real question is what kind of gain channel they have going on

Yeah I've messed around with a fandango and a knucklehead a handful of times - they are pretty underrated amps honestly
Way back in the real late 80's or mid 90's, I walked into a club and a friends band was playing or it might have been a jam session I don't remember. What I do remember is that they wanted me to get up a play and I did. They handed me a guitar and we kicked off whatever tune it was and I had some of the best feeling and sounding tone I've ever experienced. I had no idea what I was playing though and turned out to be some little Rivera 1x12 combo. Still don't remember the model but..I remember the tone..it was glorious!! :)

Way back in the real late 80's or mid 90's, I walked into a club and a friends band was playing or it might have been a jam session I don't remember. What I do remember is that they wanted me to get up a play and I did. They handed me a guitar and we kicked off whatever tune it was and I had some of the best feeling and sounding tone I've ever experienced. I had no idea what I was playing though and turned out to be some little Rivera 1x12 combo. Still don't remember the model but..I remember the tone..it was glorious!! :)
The blue haze attenuated the highs nicely in those clubs. After they started making no smoking bars the volume complaints increased because of it.

I've been watching the m100 on reverb for a G for a while now - how does the gain channel sound? I've played the knucklehead and a couple of others, but never an m100
I’m currently running my m100 into x2 KSR 2x12(oversized), for my Ibanez 7-string. I’m not dialing it in to be super-tight/modern, but it’s ferocious sounding. I use either a Friedman Buxom boost, a Revv Tilt boost, or a Precision drive to tighten it up a little.(this is on Ch.1)
The clean channel is sooooooooo good.(ch.2)

I should just start messaging overpriced craigslist ads "was this kept in a smoke free home" Answer "Absolutely" . Me: "Aw shucks. Ok thanks for the reply, not interested." :LOL:
"Does it come pre-loaded with spare drugs in the cabinet?"
"No"
"kthxbye"

Despite many happy memories of smoke-filled venues, I don't like the smell of smoke on equipment.
Some of my older gear is darkened; the inlays on my main gigging Les Paul are literally yellowed after thousands of sets.

I sweat a lot when I play - especially onstage - and wet leather straps will make your cases pretty funky in the long run.
For decades I've been leaving a few sticks of myrrh incense in each case to keep them and the guitars smelling sweet.
I swap the sticks out once or twice a year. Still do it nowadays even though I'm not playing hundreds of shows a year anymore.
I keep a box of Nag Champa in the map pocket of my car, too, another longtime habit.

Despite many happy memories of smoke-filled venues, I don't like the smell of smoke on equipment.
Some of my older gear is darkened; the inlays on my main gigging Les Paul are literally yellowed after thousands of sets.

I sweat a lot when I play - especially onstage - and wet leather straps will make your cases pretty funky in the long run.
For decades I've been leaving a few sticks of myrrh incense in each case to keep them and the guitars smelling sweet.
I swap the sticks out once or twice a year. Still do it nowadays even though I'm not playing hundreds of shows a year anymore.
I keep a box of Nag Champa in the map pocket of my car, too, another longtime habit.
That is gorgeous

I've never smoked, but my folks chain smoked in the house, car and when we when out to eat. I went thru all of school reeking of cigarettes apparently. To this day if I smell cigarette smoke it makes me want to puke and gives me migraines. I've rejected gear that smelt like smoke. It's gross.

I miss it.

You could sniff through the used amps and immediately tell which ones were contenders for a possible purchase. Plus a reminder of a gig the night before when in your house. When amp not loud, smells loud. I think it was as good a tone secret as spring water treated speakers. I hope this thread filled with my most dear reminiscing of the past finds the you, the reader, well this sunday morning. Blessings.
Hell, had a few amps I purchased come soaked in the smell of memories from the past. Glad I quit smoking ages ago.

My mark III++ Coli came to me smelling like smoke. Brought back a lot of memories of band practice spaces mid winter with a space heater going and hanging out with friends. Back then I used to smoke cigarettes and have since quit but it’s a time period long gone.
Really? That amp was owned by Sam and I for years without being exposed to cigarette smoke.
My wife’s got the nose of a bloodhound and a hypersensitivity to that horrible smell and NEVER noticed even the slightest hint of it.

Really? That amp was owned by Sam and I for years without being exposed to cigarette smoke.
My wife’s got the nose of a bloodhound and a hypersensitivity to that horrible smell and NEVER noticed even the slightest hint of it.
Oh yeah dude it wreaked. I thought you were an avid smoker 😂

Because I used to smoke I didn’t mention it nor do I care.

Oh yeah dude it wreaked. I thought you were an avid smoker 😂

Because I used to smoke I didn’t mention it nor do I care.
Man that shit must linger forever. Lol
I quit around 15 years ago.

Clearly the smoky tone was built in to the amp. This thread is pretty much about amps and other gear with the cigs built into the system.

My Mark 3 Coli smelled really bad when I got it. The cooling fan made it worse was when I turned it on. I would put the headshell outside all day in the sun to air it out. It took a couple of years but it barely smells now. Back in the 80's and early 90's I had to leave my clothes outside after a gig because of the smell. I can't believe people used to smoke on airplanes!

My Mark 3 Coli smelled really bad when I got it. The cooling fan made it worse was when I turned it on. I would put the headshell outside all day in the sun to air it out. It took a couple of years but it barely smells now. Back in the 80's and early 90's I had to leave my clothes outside after a gig because of the smell. I can't believe people used to smoke on airplanes!
People used to smoke in hospitals. Doctors even.

I can’t believe so many people whine about it.

I once bought a DR RevG. Very good sounding example of an RevG in nearly mint condition apart from smelling like an old ashtray. But the whole house of the dude I got the amp from smelled like that.
I didn’t care too much as I do smoke as well, but I had to give the HS some cleaning and put the cover outside for like two weeks.

A old black Les Paul Custom with nicotine stain. Oh, yeah.
I had an ‘83 that was just like that. The binding was yellow and the finish was “weathered”. When I first pulled it out of the case, it was quite something. I have never smoked. But have spent many years in bars and gigs full of smoke and my mom was a heavy smoker. Really dug that guitar though, all the same.

Back