Does anyone remember smoke soaked gear?

• Thread starter Thread starter VonBonfire
  • Start date Start date
As a non-smoker who was raised by heavy smokers - I can't stand it when guitars smell like smoke. I won't buy it. Have passed on acoustics for this reason in recent memory but can't recall an electric guitar I had that experience with as of yet.

Rivera's always have great sounding cleans, the real question is what kind of gain channel they have going on

Yeah I've messed around with a fandango and a knucklehead a handful of times - they are pretty underrated amps honestly
My Rivera Clubster Royale Recording is an absolute MONSTER on clean/lead/boost. Got it for a great price. They have since gone up.

I've smoked every single day, at least half pack, from when I was 15 till when I turned 33. I'm 50 now, and haven't smoked since I quit. And have never had any wish to smoke again. Addiction was the only reason why I've carried that habit for so long.
Other people smoking around myself doesn't bother me at all, but accumulated smoke smell in a confined space, like house, apartment or a car, do smell like shit. Smokers bad breath are also multiplied.
So, I don't care at all if I'm at a bar, on the streets, concerts, and people are smoking around me. Doesn't bother me at all.
But at my house and car, I refuse to have any kind of shitty smell, including smoking smell.
Like @thegame I also got an amp from Larry that smelled like an ashtray. And it was a brand new amp, that felt like he smoked a pack of cigarette blowing the smoke inside the road case with the amp in there, right before locking it up and shipping it to me.
Some people might love that smell. I don't.

I've smoked every single day, at least half pack, from when I was 15 till when I turned 33. I'm 50 now, and haven't smoked since I quit. And have never had any wish to smoke again. Addiction was the only reason why I've carried that habit for so long.
Other people smoking around myself doesn't bother me at all, but accumulated smoke smell in a confined space, like house, apartment or a car, do smell like shit. Smokers bad breath are also multiplied.
So, I don't care at all if I'm at a bar, on the streets, concerts, and people are smoking around me. Doesn't bother me at all.
But at my house and car, I refuse to have any kind of shitty smell, including smoking smell.
Like @thegame I also got an amp from Larry that smelled like an ashtray. And it was a brand new amp, that felt like he smoked a pack of cigarette blowing the smoke inside the road case with the amp in there, right before locking it up and shipping it to me.
Some people might love that smell. I don't.
That would be ROUGH dude. Getting a new amp that reeked would be bad enough, but.a high price, custom made amp that was brand new? Nigh on infuriating. The only thing that can take the smell out is diluted white vinegar, and even then, can take multiple, multiple cleanings. You don't even have that option with an amp. Definitely no bueno.

That would be ROUGH dude. Getting a new amp that reeked would be bad enough, but.a high price, custom made amp that was brand new? Nigh on infuriating. The only thing that can take the smell out is diluted white vinegar, and even then, can take multiple, multiple cleanings. You don't even have that option with an amp. Definitely no bueno.
Agree 100%

When they passed the bans on smoking in bars etc. I was so stoked. Just got so tired of the smell after, as well enduring it to begin with. With long hair in the 90’s it made the after aroma even better 🤮

I found a pic of Larry trolling the internet back when trolling was not even a term.

bCo0gjC.jpg

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember talking to a small builder years ago that recommended treating speakers with fabric softener to break them in. I think that smell would bother me more than cigarettes

I remember, after 20 yrs of gigs finally really cleaning my 1991 Hamer USA Centaura....I'd always wiped it down after a gig; but I never took and cleaned/polished it. The amount of yellow dried smoke was fn disgusting. Horrible. Then, after polishing it, the finish had a nice checking to it...looked awesome, with every dent/chunk missing and I could tell a story about each lol.
Still kicking myself for selling it 15 yrs ago.

My 1983 JCM 800 was crazy smoky.....had to leave it in garage then I did a major clean on it and it still had that funk on it for weeks.

It is perfectly fine now.

The gain was very much worth the pain.....and some of the best things in life are kinda stinky, right???

Febreze and fabric softeners.

If that doesn't work......subject your amp to my smoky BBQ... I can fix it!

Back