EVH 5150III 100S EL34 vs Marshall JCM800 2203 [Update]

• Thread starter Thread starter Simon Dorn
  • Start date Start date
I wouldn't agree that the SLO is an apple and a 5150 is an orange.

I'm not going to get an argument wether there is some magic to SLO's that 5150's have or not. There probably is in the room. Plenty of good recordings made with the SLO too. But saying the SLO and 5150 aren't related is simply disregarding facts.

They're not clones, and if one can't tell them apart when having them side by side probably means he is not very experienced with amps or doesn't have very discerning ears, but it's been discussed to death how they're related. I'd classify an SLO and a 5150 as more closely related than not, personally.
I know on paper they’re supposed to be as are Recto’s, yet they sound and feel quite different from each other. I guess both amps have a similarity in midrange emphasis/shape, but otherwise to me have a lot of differences in their sound character (and feel) that I wouldn’t really group them together. Maybe apples vs pears or oranges vs limes, idk lol. I also don’t generally prefer the SLO as much for metal (especially more modern leaning styles), while that’s of course an area where 5150’s excel

The SLO also isn’t necessarily for me the most magical or favorite amp ever. I did sell both of mine very recently, but they are really good amps and at least to me are of a certain level that distinguishes them from amps that are just “nice”. I haven’t tried any BAD era version, so not sure how they compare

Last edited:

Back