Famous musicians you've met

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
I was in a NWOBHM band with James Rivera from Helstar, Seven Witches, Vicious Rumors. We always had guest guitar players as well. Jay Reynolds from Malice and Metal Church played, Mark Simpson from Flotsam and Black & Blue played. Sang with Tod Howarth recently.

Guys I’ve just met and chatted/hung with would be Rudy Sarzo, Mitch Perry, Jeff Loomis, Tracii Guns, Bruce Kulick, Bob Kulick, Rowan Robertson. Spent a day with Pat Travers. We did breakfast and photo shoot for his new guitars. Wicked cool guy.

I see Jeff Duncan from Armored Saint all the time. We are both on the Valkenburg USA artist roster with Mitch Perry, Rowan and Pat Travers. Jeff and I also are part of the build team for those guitars.
Ive met Rudy Sarzo in Omaha.,Pat Travers in Minneapolis,Traci Guns and,Teddy Guns(Minneapolis).Many more.Traci is soooo talented

I won’t count NAMM as that would be too many to list.

Real life experiences that lasted more than 5 minute run ins

Coolest
Johnny Marr - talked with me for 20+ mins about music, gear, life. He’s a badass.

Reggie “Fieldy” Arvizu - Ran into him at Sharkeez in Huntington Beach and we bought each other rounds and chatted for the whole 45 mins or so he was there. Came in with one chick (total coke head but fkn HOT!) and left with 3 🤣

Dave Wakeling - drank whiskey with him at the bar the whole time he was there. He’s a riot! He was hitting on both my lady at the time and my friends lady as well. It was all in good fun. Awesome night.

Cool
Stephen Carpenter
Maynard James Keenan (surprisingly cool)
Dino Cazares
God Forbid whole band
Ken Susi
Zakk Wylde
Slash
Nikki Sixx (even though I can’t stand him or Motley anymore in general as of lately due to their current antics)
Ceasar Rosas
Chris Adler

Assholes
Greg Puciato - dude was drunk which I always thought and heard he was straight edge? I could be wrong. Told me to fuck off and called me a pussy face cunt lol

Dave Mustaine - saw him at Guitar Center Hollywood and tried to say hi. He says “not today fucker, this isn’t a meet and greet signing day. I’m here to check out guitar so step aside”. All I literally said was hey Dave. I didn’t ask him to sign anything or say anything else for that matter.

Kerry King - speaking of cunts…this guy is a walking roast beef sammich. A friend of mine used to bartend at Chilis so I would come and visit regularly since he always hooked me up with free beers during late night happy hour.

Kerry walks in and sits about 4 seats away from me. l’m not even a Slayer fan, never have been but admittedly was a little star struck and said what’s up and tried to start a conversation as most friendly bar patrons do. After 2 attempts and 1 word answers, I got the hint and left him alone. A friend that I was waiting on to meet with me finally shows up and sits next to me. Like a dumbass, I should’ve stuck with taking the hint earlier but I try to be cool and offer him a shot since I was buying my friend one who just showed up and he says “I got my own money thanks”.

Left him alone the rest of the night until my friend and I were taking off. Like a dumbass AGAIN, I was just being friendly and as I got up to say bye to my bartender friend, I told Kerry to take it easy and have a good night. He turns around on his stool to look at me and says “ do I fucking know you or what dude? What’s your deal?” I was kind of taken by surprise and didn’t know what to say so I just walked out and went my own way.

My bartender friend told me he was a regular there but that was my only run in with him.

I met Scott Ian and Frank Bello from Anthrax last year. I've been listening to them since 87 so was cool to meet them. Frank was joking with my Daughter and I and was super down to Earth. Scott was quieter.

I met Tupac in Hawaii at the Hard Rock. He bumped into me and nearly knocked me over. Nobody noticed hom expect my friend and I and then I did what any stalker would do. I waited by his rental car until he came outside 😆😆😆. By that time, a crowd gathered and the cops were holding everyone back but me. He walked up to me, looking paranoid, and then I asked if I could get an autograph. He said "sure!" and we talked a little bit and then the cops let the crowd go and everyone was taking pictures and he was super cool. Unfortunately within a year he was gone.

I met all of Heart, in Central Park, they had some kind of free practice gig at the band shell, totally unknown, because just a few people were there who were just passing by, same for me...I just happened to be walking by. I knew they were "someone" but this was right before they got real big. Anyway....they started with a Led Zep Song, don't even remember which one, but a fast rockin' one....and I was instantly in love with Nancy, she was such a powerful singer and so small back then it was amazing the voice coming out of her! Nancy was great too, as was the entire band. Met them after the show, which was short, there were only a few people there, and they just came down off the stage and was talking to us all for awhile. It was a really cool fun time, and completely by accident.
I met a few others, but the best story was meeting Joe Pass. My friend and I were in Alex Axe store on 48th Street. This guy and his son walk in. My friend Louie (RIP) starts jabbing me with his elbow..."that's joe pass". I didn't know who Joe Pass was, of course I looked him up later. So the store guy asks us, "in or out?", of course we said "in"....and he locks us all in. We sit on a couple of amps, and he sits across from us. The store guy starts handing him one guitar after another, and he just plays and plays. Even though it wasn't my kind of music, I see how great this guy was. He sometimes played leads with chords, I can't even accurately describe it, it was so complex. At one point the store guy hands him a GuitOrgan, Joe is shaking his head "no" to the guy, but the owner knew him and insisted. He played it great too (that was another thing I had to look up, had never heard of a guitorgan befoe myself). Joe barely spoke, he just sat quietly played and smiled at us the entire time. He must have realized what a big deal it was for us. It was a great day.
Plenty of others, but not with much of a story.

Highlights- Vai when I was 16 and worshipped him. I punished him, too. Totally rushed him when he was getting out of a cab, but he was cool about it and that day de-mystified him for me. I realized he was a regular human who just REALLY wanted to be good at what he did, not a superhuman. That was a life changing sentiment.

Doug Pinnick at the Dean NAMM Jam, we met walking into the Grove, I bought him a drink and he watched the whole show with my ex and I, screaming along with me and just shooting the shit casually. Saw him the next day at the Hilton and he walked right up like we were friends. Such a good dude.
The NAMM guys I barely consider “meeting” because it was so fast, but the one that always pops in my head is Claude Schnell, who just seemed happy that someone under 40 recognized him. :LOL:
Only person I got star struck by was Paul Stanley. I didn't want to geek out so I just kept my mouth shut, had him sign my real deal PS10 Iceman and then he offered to buy it, this was '93. Once he did that I chilled out lol.

Ran into Pinnick and Tabor at the ESP booth one year at NAMM, I was jamming Dogman in the booth, turned around and there they were. I handed the guitar to Tabor and said you know it better than I do lol. Nobody even bothered them and we talked for about 10 mins. Oddly I had almost been run over by Tabor several years before backstage (I worked for the big promoter) while he was riding a bike through one of the hallways lol.

At another booth at another NAMM I was wailing away while Guthrie Govan watched not knowing who the hell he was at the time, only to see him later playing in the booth, jaw dropped, we spoke, I apologized, he laughed.

Actually most of the artists I've meet besides NAMM were in a working environment so you couldn't geek out. I did eat catering sitting next to Rachel, Snake and Gene Simmons which was cool. I was going through the catering line with Rachel and Snake, in walks Simmons and the girl managing the line asked for his meal ticket, which you had to have to eat catering. Simmons didn't have it, was goofing with the little girl and Snake yelled out, he is the meal ticket. So me, Kiss's wardrobe lady who was a friend, Snake, Rachel and Gene sat down and had dinner. It was cool.

I met Scott Ian and Frank Bello from Anthrax last year. I've been listening to them since 87 so was cool to meet them. Frank was joking with my Daughter and I and was super down to Earth. Scott was quieter.

I met Tupac in Hawaii at the Hard Rock. He bumped into me and nearly knocked me over. Nobody noticed hom expect my friend and I and then I did what any stalker would do. I waited by his rental car until he came outside 😆😆😆. By that time, a crowd gathered and the cops were holding everyone back but me. He walked up to me, looking paranoid, and then I asked if I could get an autograph. He said "sure!" and we talked a little bit and then the cops let the crowd go and everyone was taking pictures and he was super cool. Unfortunately within a year he was gone.

I met Andy Wood in a Guitar Center in the early 2000's. Super chill and nice dude. He even invited me to play on stage with him and his old band at a local bar he used to play at a couple times. I've seen him around a few times over the years and I always try to say hello. Let me tell you... however good of a player you think Andy Wood is, he's better than that. He is one of the best guitar players alive today.

I also met Bjorn Gelotte of In Flames after a show back in the mid 2000's. Also a cool dude. I asked him how he got his sound and he said "Les Pauls, EMG pickups, 5150's. A lot of wood." lol.

Oh and when I worked in a music store a long time ago I helped Brent Mason pick out a pedalboard. He was still using it even as recently as a few years ago last I saw.

Last edited:
Back in 89, our drummer's girlfriend was a late night DJ at a Mpls station. We got tix/meet/greet passes for Mr Big; they played a small club called the Cabooze if I remember right. Everyone in the band was super cool, esp Gilbert. Super humble and answered any and all stupid questions I asked him lol.
Played 5 Rock Fests here in Eau Claire over the years(Cadott Wi actually) and 2 of them, being the local band on the main stage on Saturday we each got to pick an artist to meet/greet. In 01, Robert Plant. Super nice and was pre show apologetic since Atlantic prevented any Zep members from playing most of the hits...I think he only played 3. The rest were mostly acoustic songs. In 02 it was Ronnie Dio....when/if you ever watch that documentary about him, it's 1000% accurate. Totally gives you all of his attention and time; just a great guy.
Honorable mention goes to the first Rock Fest we played, which was the first ever there back in 94. We again were the main stage openers on a Sat, but no meet/greet...we were however allowed to drink/eat all the stuff the main acts had access to..so after our quick setup/soundcheck we got to go have a drink or two, up comes this smoking hot blond.....me and the bass player were just flirting away with her, we did a shot with her and all of a sudden here comes Eddie Money...says "Hey stop hitting on my wife!" ...as he laughs and laughs....he was great; and said it happens at every show, someone hits on her....oh man we were embarrased..but he was totally cool and laughed it off. Lol

Is Ron Jarzombek considered famous? Lol. I met him when I was 17 and even took a lesson with him when I was starting out playing guitar.

I've met a handful. These are the ones that come to mind...

Lynch (three times)
Jon Oliva
Steve Morse
Rod Morgenstein
Derek Sherinian (actually had a few phone conversations with him)
Tony MacAlpine
Dennis Chambers
All the guys in Phish

Reactions: rsm
Both MegaDaves, Satch, Jennifer Batten, and Blitz from Overkill. All were very nice.

Told my co-worker I had tickets to see Steve Vai at a local theatre. Turns out she is related to him. Got me back stage passes. He was so cool and absolutely sincere about chatting with a fan. He was engaged and interested. Not that I had anything to say other than... "dude, you're like.. AMAZING, man.. " but he wanted to chat more, and I didn't want to take up his time, so I excused myself quickly. He could not have been ANY COOLER. I could never say enough good things about Steve Vai.

Billy Sheehan on the other hand, was too busy hitting on 2 old soccer mom's to be bothered to say hi to me.

Steve Vai, coolest guy in the world.

I taught Jack Johnson how to play guitar....as cool, humble and mellow as it gets, he deserves everything he's worked for. Got to watch most of a Ben Harper show from next to the drum riser standing with Jack, one of the most profound music related moments I've ever had watching 25,000 people completely lose their shit when he started. His music puts me to sleep though :ROFLMAO:

When I was a kid, Paul Stanley, in a guitar store when I was buying my first real guitar (which ended up being a new '78 Gibson Les Paul Custom, black with gold hardware).

Met Frank Aresti and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) during a break at a show my (prog metal) band was playing. One of the guys in the band knew Frank.

Met the band Man-o-War in an airport lounge when they were returning from playing Rock in Rio.

Met Richie Havens on a flight.

Met Steve Pearcy outside a club they were playing,

Ian Anderson in a shopping mall, outside of Tiffany's; I had seen the show (Rupi's Dance tour) the night before, also met his band at the food court. Their hotel and the venue were near the mall.

I'm forgetting a few. I never really went out of my way to meet anyone. I would have liked to have met Steve Marriott and Allan Holdsworth tho

Jeff Scott Soto
Micheal Romeo
Joe Stump
Paul Stanley
Gene Simmons
Mike Portnoy

Watched Ratt and Icon play a club in Chicago before they were huge. Standing literally 10ft in front of both bands. Chatted with a few of the members. Don’t remember much of the night after that 😂

1992:
Flotsam & Jetsam
Wrathchild America
Sacred Reich
Pantera
1998:
Dave Mustaine
2004:
James Hetfield
Jason Newsted
2014:
ZZ Top
2018:
Machine Head
(Took my son who was 12 at the time and those guys were so cool to him at the meet & greet. Phil Demmel gave him a pick and said "here take this and don't tell anybody")
No ego whatsoever

Last edited:
'Met' Jeff Loomis and Keith Marrow as they walked past me after their Conquering Dystopia set opening for Animals as Leaders. Shook their hands and congratulated them on an awesome set. Nothing to write home about but they were cool.

Had a 1 on 1 private lesson with George Lynch back in 2011. Absolute bucket list moment for me. Talked more about gear then actually jamming or getting a "lesson" but it was an awesome experience.

Back