Great review of the new BE 50

• Thread starter Thread starter motorboy1
  • Start date Start date
M
motorboy1
Not my amp. I was looking for reviews on Youtube on the BE50 and found this. Probably just a bad tube. I love Friedman stuff as much as the next guy. Just a little sarcasm with the post. RELAX everyone....

I think that Blackstar might be causing some interference...

Great review of the new BE 50

7911534490_6da83f691a_m.jpg

That sucks. But I’m sure you’ll get it resolved.

Frustrating to say the least
I am sure it probably a tube issues or a bad solder joint
But for 3500 it's not a good feeling. I have seen a few of these lately
On Be and the Runt series

Grow a sack or buy solid stated. It happens.

Grow a sack or buy solid stated. It happens.

In all seriousness, it sounds like a relay not clamping or unclamping fully. Since the are additional relays attached to each channel I’m guessing a bad relay. I hade one go my last channel switching build. Acted very similar

Not the way I would handle the situation, but to each his own.

Crap...that stinks! I had a brand new BE-100 go poof on me after 4 times using it back in June when I got it. Man was I sad about that. Ended up just returning it. The store just got it back a short time ago. I wish they had another one in stock as I would have exchanged for it.

Regardless, I really like the features on this amp and would love to try one out at some point. I like the smaller headshell as well. Hopefully someday. The only thing that sucks is that our retailer up here is not the sharpest set of tools in the box. Hopefully they have enough sense to order one of these.

Swap out V1 with another tube, the clean and the HBE channel share the same tube. The tube farthest away from the power tubes.

232cap":2ks3tidu said:
Swap out V1 with another tube, the clean and the HBE channel share the same tube. The tube farthest away from the power tubes.
Man, these new production tubes really cause most of the problems guys have with most new amps. Makes the mfr look bad and it's not their fault.
If I bought a new amp I'd be tube rolling immediately with my stash.

Racerxrated":qqmura5s said:
232cap":qqmura5s said:
Man, these new production tubes really cause most of the problems guys have with most new amps. Makes the mfr look bad and it's not their fault.
Exactly. It is a “tube” amp. Pretty simple to fix most of these things.I understand when you spend a large chunk of money on an amp, you expect it to be perfect, but lots of variables involved the manufacturer has no control over.

Ideal solution:

1. sell it to SavageRifferUberSnowflake
2. profit

Is this your amp OP? If so that sucks but it happens and it will be resolved professionally by Dave and his dealer. Definitelty an inconvenience but you won't lose a dime of your money.
If it's not your amp what is your place to post this? It makes you look bad so I hope it's your amp. It doesn't point negatively to Freidman or his amps at all. Shit happens. We are talking about tubes and electronics. It obviously checked out fine in QC since it worked for 3 days.

glip22":3t9bkvwm said:
Is this your amp OP? If so that sucks but it happens and it will be resolved professionally by Dave and his dealer. Definitelty an inconvenience but you won't lose a dime of your money.
If it's not your amp what is your place to post this? It makes you look bad so I hope it's your amp. It doesn't point negatively to Freidman or his amps at all. Shit happens. We are talking about tubes and electronics. It obviously checked out fine in QC since it worked for 3 days.

Seems like some butthurt here. Who cares if it's not his amp? I agree, shit happens, but it seems shit's been happening with the Friedmans of late.

No thanks. I had some suspect things going on with the Runt 50 I bought before I returned it, and there's been a good handful of issues both here and TGP.

Great service/support or not, $3500 is alot of money. This could be a tube, however. That, you can't avoid. Not sure if they're still using JJ or Chinese, or still mix of both in the preamp, but both suck in the reliability department. Relabeled ARS.

At any rate, it seems the majority of issues have been non-tube related. That's the scary part.

Racerxrated":1agstb35 said:
232cap":1agstb35 said:

Yeah you should be at least prepared to swap tubes on any amp that went through shipping without posting a video bitching online... tubes fail, it's just something that happens. Amps get banged around in shipping, which makes tubes more likely to fail.

Look at the "volume issue" with the Invective.. one guy posted all over the place about it and had other guys claiming there was a problem. Turned out to be tubes not seated properly from shipping and a volume boost switch that needed engaged on the amp...

If y’all read the comments on the video posted under on YouTube... the guy/poster of the video says he already has another amp (small box 50w) at Friedman waiting for repair as well... so...

:dunno: :confused:

I disagree with it being a buyers responsability tondo anything but plug a cord and a speaker cable in turn it on and play it. All the profound statements about *you should be prepaired to swap tubes isnt part of the sale..unless I am missing something, does it say under the agreement or manual* swap tubes in arrival? Not. If it was a made in China mass production amp maybe so. It's a boutique piece of expensive gear so i think its horse shit. His money works* that he purchased it with. I am sure it will be resolved by DF no question. If the tubes are the issue how does it leave the factory? It's the shippers fault? Shipping tube amps is a challange so what the hell do you do ask them to pull the tubes and bubble wrap them individually? Regardless it sucks for a new product line debut that is on backorder.

Bad deal, I can imagine it is frustrating for sure BUT...Like mostly everyone is saying, figure out what the problem is first before giving a "review" or posting a video.

Dave is a stand up guy from what I have seen and is also a genius. I have never even bought a new Friedman product but he has still gone out of his way to help me on the forums with issues I was having with other products.

Dude is cool and makes killer products. Have to respect that, I am sure he would sort out your issues if there were in fact any at all. You probably need new tubes like everyone else has said, the video makes the amp look bad with the QC and that may not be the case at all.

Beandust":11thszc8 said:
Shipping tube amps is a challange so what the hell do you do ask them to pull the tubes and bubble wrap them individually? Regardless it sucks for a new product line debut that is on backorder.

Actually.......This is what I do when I ship an amp ;)

Ok so I'm sure a dealer isn't going to want to do this for every amp sale and have to pay for 2 packages to ship BUT that is the safest way IMO.

I agree with the rest of your post. Yeah, as a buyer when you buy an amp it should work and it isn't your responsibility or whatever to be a tech.

But lets be honest. The guy just bought a Friedman, more than likely not the type of an amp a new found guitarist will be buying. Even if....A quick google search could help. I am no tech by any means, I actually am an idiot when it comes to that stuff but I learned very quickly that tubes get broken during shipping.

It has happened a majority of the time when I have bought an amp.

Back