Hate for "emo"

• Thread starter Thread starter robb
  • Start date Start date
robb
robb
Played Bu-Fest in Malibu today. Our set was bookend by two whiney emo bands. Of course they brought their people with lame tattoos and all their nice gear ( the obligatory svt bass rig, bogner stacks, and their own in ear monitors ).

With respect... every song sounds the same, and who wants to hear a man (albeit a young man) cry and whine about his girlfriend and his myspace page? I feel sorry for this generation of music. Will these kids look back in 15 years and think this crap is still great? Yeah...

I told our singer, before we play to say "Don't be scared we aren't emo." Even better without offending the other bands she said..
"Don't be afraid.... this is metal..."

Just a rant

With respect to this generation of music, there was more than enough shit in ANY generation of music. I remember in 1991 in my area every so many bands sounded like a really terrible Skid Row wanna be. But most completely sucked.

How bad was the late 80's when every other cheese metal band had to have a gay ballad and they wore more makeup than the girls. All the songs were the same 3 chords and told the same tale about getting drunk on a Saturday night and getting laid. The guitar players of the 80's killed but damm, a lot of the music really sucked.

danyeo":m7kz6s7e said:
With respect to this generation of music, there was more than enough shit in ANY generation of music. I remember in 1991 in my area every so many bands sounded like a really terrible Skid Row wanna be. But most completely sucked.

How bad was the late 80's when every other cheese metal band had to have a gay ballad and they wore more makeup than the girls. All the songs were the same 3 chords and told the same tale about getting drunk on a Saturday night and getting laid. The guitar players of the 80's killed but damm, a lot of the music really sucked.

so true. I think there is good and probally alot of bad music and sound to come out at any period of time. Good probally being completly subjective, but I think those who understand music probally have a better grasp on making that desicion on what is good or bad ;)

Yeah, not a big emo fan here. Now mind you, I'm not a metal-devotee either. As long as it falls into the general "rock" category, I'm open to listen to it and like it.

(There's a few bands that would probably get lumped into "emo" that I love. Jimmy Eat World. Taking Back Sunday. I don't know if AFI falls into that category as well, but I love them too...)

I think my biggest problem with the genre of emo, besides the whiny singing, is the attitude. I feel like it comes from a very introverted, childlike place.

When I was 14-16 or so, in the grunge generation :rock: , the bands that I looked up to and worshipped didn't seem like kids whining... they seemed like grown men, rocking out, being rockstars. Despite their age, bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction, etc... they all seemed larger than life, and they all carried themselves like men. Not like children.

I feel like the "rockstar" needs a comeback. It's hard to "worship" a band when they look like a bunch of skinny effeminate douches in thrift store T shirts, wearing girls jeans, sporting that horrific emo combover haircut... I dunno about you, but that's not my idea of a rockstar.

Does that many any sense?

When I was 14-16 or so, in the grunge generation , the bands that I looked up to and worshipped didn't seem like kids whining... they seemed like grown men, rocking out, being rockstars. Despite their age, bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction, etc... they all seemed larger than life, and they all carried themselves like men. Not like children.

I feel like the "rockstar" needs a comeback. It's hard to "worship" a band when they look like a bunch of skinny effeminate douches in thrift store T shirts, wearing girls jeans, sporting that horrific emo combover haircut... I dunno about you, but that's not my idea of a rockstar.

Does that many any sense?

Well said man. I agree

1212692836318vw0.jpg

sporting that horrific emo combover haircut...

re: the above quote.... :rock:

Lets talk about that haircut...WTF :confused: but the fucked up haircut is not just specific to EMO unfortunately....our own Van Hellion aka Andy "Disease Free" Wood, who is arguably one of the more bad ass guitar players I've heard in a long time - has about the most jacked up EMO haircut I've also seen in a long time...

Sorry Van Hellion - had to say it man...I'm damn near bald and that haircut of your makes me cry :lol: :LOL:

I hate Emo.

I agree with danyeo, there was a lot of crap when we were growing up, no doubt, but emo takes it to the next level. At least the crappy hair bands were having fun, even if their music sucked. Emo music sucks, and the bands all take it sooooo fucking seriously. It's hilarious. Really, what does a rich kid from Orange County have to be so depressed about anyway? Oh, his parents only bought him a Mustang and not a Mercedes. :doh:

The only thing good to come out of emo are emo chix :inlove:

This era in music is so bad IMO, for the first time in my career in music (I'm 45 and have been a full-time musician since 15 y/o) I want out. I hate today's music with a passion and I hate the music business. Every now and then there's a cool band or artist but then it's usually like nails on a chalkboard to listen through and entire album, all-in-all I feel sorry for kids today, they really missed out. All era's of music have had there not so glorious moments but this era has almost no great moments. If I wasn't up to my ass in debt I'd leave LA today and never look back. Honestly, I'm the guy who's always positive but I feel beaten down lately by the music business and God forbid I turn on the radio, then I just want to off myself and Indie music sucks more then the radio. Listening to Indie 103 in LA is like watching paint dry. Fuck it, I'll just do my thing and block out the pain with some Starbucks...lol Maybe buy another Les Paul or have an amp shootout. lol :D Is that Emo enough for you guys! You don't have to be 15, living with your parents and under sexed to be Emo. You can be 45, with bills and under sexed to be Emo.

Wow, sorry about this post....

If its good, Ill listen to it. Whether its pop, metal, country, emo. I don't care. Good music is good music.

Whether you think 90s grunge was good or not, it doesnt change the fact that all it was was a bunch of dudes wearing flannel and complaining about how much their life sucks about becoming famous or whatever. Maybe it didnt SOUND whiney, but its the same idea as emo as far as Im concerned. And, I hate to say it, but alot of these emo dudes can play circles around alot of these famous 90s seattle grunge guys.

Lets get back to songs about partying all night and banging chicks. Thats what rock n roll should be about.

Emo began in 1994 with a Seattle band called Sunny Day Real Estate and an album called Diary.

Image and no substance has been an aspect of music business aspirations since the dawn of time.

God bless the kids out there making an attempt. There are enough great artists out here to keep us content.

:rock:

James Lugo":1ku3lgti said:
This era in music is so bad IMO, for the first time in my career in music (I'm 45 and have been a full-time musician since 15 y/o) I want out. I hate today's music with a passion and I hate the music business. Every now and then there's a cool band or artist but then it's usually like nails on a chalkboard to listen through and entire album, all-in-all I feel sorry for kids today, they really missed out. All era's of music have had there not so glorious moments but this era has almost no great moments. If I wasn't up to my ass in debt I'd leave LA today and never look back. Honestly, I'm the guy who's always positive but I feel beaten down lately by the music business and God forbid I turn on the radio, then I just want to off myself and Indie music sucks more then the radio. Listening to Indie 103 in LA is like watching paint dry. Fuck it, I'll just do my thing and block out the pain with some Starbucks...lol Maybe buy another Les Paul or have an amp shootout. lol :D Is that Emo enough for you guys! You don't have to be 15, living with your parents and under sexed to be Emo. You can be 45, with bills and under sexed to be Emo.

Dude........... you're so emo :D

jonny toetags":8ch61yhu said:
James Lugo":8ch61yhu said:

Dude........... you're so emo :D

:D :D :D

That post was written because I love you guys.

Nigel":2ym4yvq7 said:
Emo began in 1994 with a Seattle band called Sunny Day Real Estate and an album called Diary.

yeah, and they self destructed and now make up 2/3's of the Foo Fighters...

thats pretty EMO :lol: :LOL:

What is wrong with playing SVT stacks :confused:

That whole scene thing is a laugh no matter the music, some early 20 something yelling all this death and blood while living in the burbs with mommy and daddy is just as silly ;)

A slap to the face, to all that is emo (give em something to cry about).. :D

And just so you guys know, Velcro Fly sports a pretty rad emo hair cut. He started styling it that way shortly after he and I both lost our jobs. I told him, dude! It's not that bad, things will turn around! But he was all like, but dude..... dude.... and started crying over the phone. I just hung up...

J.B.":en6wkjvo said:
And just so you guys know, Velcro Fly sports a pretty rad emo hair cut. He started styling it that way shortly after he and I both lost our jobs. I told him, dude! It's not that bad, things will turn around! But he was all like, but dude..... dude.... and started crying over the phone. I just hung up...

3/4 chrome dome is about as EMO as it gets....so yeah :lol: :LOL:

Nigel":aaecig90 said:

Image and no substance has been an aspect of music business aspirations since the dawn of time.

God bless the kids out there making an attempt. There are enough great artists out here to keep us content.

:rock:

Not really... emo is older than that. Emo really started about 1981 with a few bands.. 7 seconds, Descendants, and of course Minor Threat. Don't forget they all worship Fugazi. Listen to the album Milo Goes to College by the Descendants. It's fucking awesome and sort of emo at the same time.

* velcro-fly *":1bd3mkj2 said:
J.B.":1bd3mkj2 said:

3/4 chrome dome is about as EMO as it gets....so yeah :lol: :LOL:
:lol: :LOL:

Back