Hate for "emo"

• Thread starter Thread starter robb
  • Start date Start date
danyeo":i8tebde1 said:
With respect to this generation of music, there was more than enough shit in ANY generation of music. I remember in 1991 in my area every so many bands sounded like a really terrible Skid Row wanna be. But most completely sucked.

How bad was the late 80's when every other cheese metal band had to have a gay ballad and they wore more makeup than the girls. All the songs were the same 3 chords and told the same tale about getting drunk on a Saturday night and getting laid. The guitar players of the 80's killed but damm, a lot of the music really sucked.

Truth! :thumbsup:

EWSEthan":381ayqav said:
Lets get back to songs about partying all night and banging chicks. Thats what rock n roll should be about.

Tell that to Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, Rush, SRV, et al who wrote great rock music that had more substance to the lyrics than banging some chicks and getting drunk.

Hate for emo! Try living in san diego and finding a gig that isnt hardcore/emo my band i hope isnt catergoized in this. Are singer bitches about his life and his boyfriend in his lyrics :doh: ....thank god we kicked him out, Music is anything but emo ,im curouis to see if you guys think it is....

If you choose only one to listen to listen to epic it is my "orchestral baby"

https://www.myspace.com/thehaven

sebby123":pwc7lffr said:
Hate for emo! Try living in san diego and finding a gig that isnt hardcore/emo my band i hope isnt catergoized in this. Are singer bitches about his life and his boyfriend in his lyrics :doh: ....thank god we kicked him out, Music is anything but it but hey im curouis to see if you guys think this is emo,

I like it. It has a tiny tiny bit of emo in the singer's phrasing but it sounds way more grown up. One of those bands yesterday was from San Diego. I won't saw their name but they sucked, ran long and shortened our set.

robb":2s9rzqcz said:
sebby123":2s9rzqcz said:
Hate for emo! Try living in san diego and finding a gig that isnt hardcore/emo my band i hope isnt catergoized in this. Are singer bitches about his life and his boyfriend in his lyrics :doh: ....thank god we kicked him out, Music is anything but it but hey im curouis to see if you guys think this is emo,

I like it. It has a tiny tiny bit of emo in the singer's phrasing but it sounds way more grown up. One of those bands yesterday was from San Diego. I won't saw their name but they sucked, ran long and shortened our set.

Misdelphia? Might be there name there the only san diego band that are on tour that i know of, they are horrible and i am ashamed to be in san diego, hardcore bands sell out venues in seconds here as were good bands non emo and hardcore cant sell more then 20 tickets.

I think my band might have better luck in LA, weve played a couple shows there including taste of chaos and have alot more fans just from those couple of shows.

ejecta":3omtbr7c said:
EWSEthan":3omtbr7c said:
Lets get back to songs about partying all night and banging chicks. Thats what rock n roll should be about.

Tell that to Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, Rush, SRV, et al who wrote great rock music that had more substance to the lyrics than banging some chicks and getting drunk.

Lots of rain and telephones down is not going to win any pultizer prizes anytime soon either :lol: :LOL:

Me? I would take the entire Dokken and Ratt collection and wipe all vocals off them :thumbsup:

Minor threat/ Fugazi = emo? Seriously? I can see where they might get some influnce from 80's punk/ hardcore bands, but a totally different sound.

robb":2d2m2jnl said:
Nigel":2d2m2jnl said:
Emo began in 1994 with a Seattle band called Sunny Day Real Estate and an album called Diary.

Image and no substance has been an aspect of music business aspirations since the dawn of time.

God bless the kids out there making an attempt. There are enough great artists out here to keep us content.

:rock:

Not really... emo is older than that. Emo really started about 1981 with a few bands.. 7 seconds, Descendants, and of course Minor Threat. Don't forget they all worship Fugazi. Listen to the album Milo Goes to College by the Descendants. It's fucking awesome and sort of emo at the same time.

Dude, not to get in a massive silly arguement, but...

7 Seconds are old school punk, Descendants are pop punk and Minor Threat are hardcore straight edge punk. There's nothing emo about them

Proper early and mid 90's emo is actually pretty good. But now any music where the band have floppy hair and wear eye liner, they call emo, it's not. It's mostly just rock music. Call it commercial rock etc or whatever. Bands go on about being emotional, doesn't mean they're emo. It's far to much of a cliché! Just because a country band said 'fuck the system', wouldn't make them punk. Again, i'm simplifying things, but i'm sure you get it.

But, to go back to the original post. I hate that kind of music too, and the scene it's become. Just bandwagon jumping kids.

H Golf Sport":ld0ocxf1 said:
Minor threat/ Fugazi = emo? Seriously? I can see where they might get some influnce from 80's punk/ hardcore bands, but a totally different sound.

+ 1000

and please don't lump the Descendants in with any pre EMO movement

So what happened to Mall Punk? Is that crap the same as Emo?

Well..the way I see it is....If I was wearin my little sisters pants that are 4 or 5 sizes too small...yeah...I'd be cuttin myself too..Gotta relieve the pressure somewhere and thats why they do it... :D

Sure, they crop up every 4 to 6 months, but these topics are always amusing on an epic Armageddon-type scale....not that Armageddon is amusing...unless it's the movie, then :hys:

robb":3cecegch said:
and all their nice gear ( the obligatory svt bass rig, bogner stacks, and their own in ear monitors ).

Dude, why bag on their gear? Wish I could have had Bogners and PEMs growing up. Might not hear an alarm clock ringing in my head constantly now. Not referring to the OPs original post as much as this entire thread, but - Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like jealousy? "They get all the gigs, They fill the rooms, They have the nice gear." Not trying to be an ass, but if Emo and Rap are what speak to this generation, whatever. None of us have to listen to it. Anyone who doesn't like some type of music always says the same thing, "it all sounds the same." I've heard somebody say that about every genre and era there is. From country to metal.

Probably best if you don't sound like them. From my limited experience it seems that if you are playing music that sounds like what the radio is saturated with you are all ready behind the times if you are up and coming. It will have burnt out before you do anything substantial. Sorry if I offended anyone, but there's a lot of, "be a man, don't play whiney Emo" going on, that seems to be a little hypocritical when your whining. I wonder if Zack Wylde or Metallica whined that Tiffany was getting more air time than them?

My only bitch is that Emo acts like every other genre of music isn't emotional. Music is nothing if not emotional.

Again, not trying to piss anyone off. Always better to worry about what you are doing, and not what the others around you do. The OP's female singer had exactly the right attitude IMO. Just go out and play and rip their face off with your material. :rock:

Funny how all the stuff in my original post gets turned around.

I'm not bagging on gear... HELLO this is rig talk. The point is the posing with gear.... having all the stuff the other bands have.

And my commentary on the start of emo are my opinion. Influences people, I didn't say Fugazi was emo... I said all the older emo guys worship them. 7 Seconds were never early emo??? I was there in 1986 when they played stuff from their New Wind album. I wanted my money back and people booed them off the stage. Descendants... after they moved out of their house on Western Ave across from the old Wienerschintzel my friends moved in and they practiced in their same spot for few years. Sorry I didn't post my punk rock credentials with my early commentary. :doh:

I've got the emo long bang comb over "haircut" at the moment, but only because it isn't long enough to part in the middle at the moment. (I just shaved it and started fresh due to some......fire...)

robb said:
" Emo really started about 1981 with a few bands.. 7 seconds, Descendants, and of course Minor Threat. "

Sorry sounds like you were calling these bands emo. I do get the influnced by thing though. " Punk rock credintials." (Chuckling)

robb":1rm8kgsw said:

I'm not bagging on gear... HELLO this is rig talk. The point is the posing with gear.... having all the stuff the other bands have.
:

Not sure I'm turning it around. If you want to sound like band X you are probably going to buy what band X uses. Not sure that's posing? How different is that than all the guys who buy Marshall because the EVH played them? You want that sound, you buy that gear. Maybe Bogner is just marketing to that audience. Quick question - Is it the Line 6 Bogner stuff, or the real stuff? It's all good, I wasn't trying to turn anything around. Actually, you are fairly close to me and I would love to come see you play. Website? My Space?

Funny, all the Emo guys around here use Mesa. One of the kids who works for me is in an Emo band and I remember his guitarist was talking to me about gear. He wouldn't even listen to anything else. Just wanted Mesa because he wanted to sound like bands, X, Y, and Z. I tried to tell him he should use that as a starting point, and then find his own sound. He wasn't having it. Sad.

H Golf Sport":1ywqylg5 said:
robb":1ywqylg5 said:
" Emo really started about 1981 with a few bands.. 7 seconds, Descendants, and of course Minor Threat. "

Sorry sounds like you were calling these bands emo. I do get the influnced by thing though. " Punk rock credintials." (Chuckling)

You're right. It did sound like that a little. I would never call those bands emo. A whole genre of music doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.. It has a root. Even if the people playing now don't know the roots. Punk credintials did sound stupid but I watched the whole thing go from great to shite over my time. I saw Black Flag when I was 11 years old and was hooked on punk forever..

Shark Diver":dqq1wvex said:
robb":dqq1wvex said:

:

Not sure I'm turning it around. If you want to sound like band X you are probably going to buy what band X uses. Not sure that's posing? How different is that than all the guys who buy Marshall because the EVH played them? You want that sound, you buy that gear. Maybe Bogner is just marketing to that audience. Quick question - Is it the Line 6 Bogner stuff, or the real stuff? It's all good, I wasn't trying to turn anything around. Actually, you are fairly close to me and I would love to come see you play. Website? My Space?

Funny, all the Emo guys around here use Mesa. One of the kids who works for me is in an Emo band and I remember his guitarist was talking to me about gear. He wouldn't even listen to anything else. Just wanted Mesa because he wanted to sound like bands, X, Y, and Z. I tried to tell him he should use that as a starting point, and then find his own sound. He wasn't having it. Sad.

Your right too. I've experienced the same thing with some bands I was around. They only wanted the stuff other bands had, but not just to sound like them.
As far as the Bogner stuff it was the real deal. It sounded good. I forgot to say the bands all sounded good. Just the style of singing was not for me.
Absolutely come out and see us play we're gonna play again in Long Beach soon. I'll let you know.

robb":1lac8nlk said:
H Golf Sport":1lac8nlk said:
robb":1lac8nlk said:

You're right. It did sound like that a little. I would never call those bands emo. A whole genre of music doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.. It has a root. Even if the people playing now don't know the roots. Punk credintials did sound stupid but I watched the whole thing go from great to shite over my time. I saw Black Flag when I was 11 years old and was hooked on punk forever..

That seems just like the cycle of things. Hip-hop, punk, metal, grunge, whatever. All starts off good, underground, raw and agressive, new sound, etc... By the time the majors pick up on it and gets radio play its starting to get homoginized and played out. Then the clones start popping up and the music starts going downhill fast yet becomes the next big thing.
There was always something fresh bubbling under the surface though. Which leads me to the problem today.
I havn't heard any thing bubbling up. seems like the same old crap recycled over and over, dumbed down and safe for mass consumption. Sure there are some good bands here and there but nothing that's going to kick your ass and get you stoked on something new. Maybe its there and I hav'nt heard it. Any one know what it is?

Aloha, Rob

Back