Herbert or JP2C

• Thread starter Thread starter Fusionbear
  • Start date Start date
Herbert can do so much more than metal , a lot of times I see guys saying it’s one tone but I feel people just don’t understand the mid cut . It can can double scoop your amp . Just too much scoop is possible and guys be doing it

The JP2C, IMO isn't really a good 3 channel amp. Clean and 2 duplicate lead channels. Neither makes a good "crunch" channel, IMO.
I had the amp and thought it was boxy-sounding. Midrange that HAD to be scooped with the EQ. I owned one about a year and got rid of it.
Not to mention the impossible location of the power plug.
60 watt mode and keep the gain way down, the presence up and you have a kickass crunch. I get classic rock tones all day. I do agree the power cord is one of the stupidest designs I’ve ever seen. Took me over 5 mins to finally get that fucking thing plugged in 🤦🏻‍♂️

It really is a toss up, isn’t it?

I've owned the Quad, Triaxis, III, IV. Iknow these amps very well. Even had a Coli III when they came out. Killer amps in their own right...

The JP2C seems like the perfect channel switcher. Especially with the midi implementation...

Well, we'll see. It's a 2025 budget idea for now...

And, to throw another monkey wrench in, my FM9T is a killer tool. I've learned how to dial it in very well now and pretty much killed my G.A.S.....lol... I use the 2C+ model in it quite a bit...

I love my Quickrod for what it does. I've even used it in my cover band even though it's not at its best there.... I use that model in my FM9T quite a bit also convincingly...

I got my new JP-2C rackmount amp at great discount during a one-day-only sale from MF; some Mesa amps on sale recently over Independence day. Worth watching for, I saved several hundred off the retail price IIRC.

I think Ian Crichton used an early Herbert in this live show. A little too much gain sometimes, but very clear overall...

I’d get a VII or a IV. The JP 2c and mark V have this 300-700 hz range that bugs the absolute shit out of me. But that may just be me. Marks are honky Amps naturally and the eq scoops that nastiness out. The problem I had with the 2c and V is it just does not seem to go away and stays boxy.

I’ll add, I have a Herbert and I really dig it. Very different amp from the marks IMO. More of a low mid heavy beast. Can do scooped very well, or the diezel mid sound.

I’d get a VII or a IV. The JP 2c and mark V have this 300-700 hz range that bugs the absolute shit out of me. But that may just be me. Marks are honky Amps naturally and the eq scoops that nastiness out. The problem I had with the 2c and V is it just does not seem to go away and stays boxy.

I’ll add, I have a Herbert and I really dig it. Very different amp from the marks IMO. More of a low mid heavy beast. Can do scooped very well, or the diezel mid sound.

I need to demo a VII!

I have a D-Moll which is marketed as the Herbert's little brother.

I really like channel 1 on the D-Moll which can go from crystal clean to a nice crunch. The mid cut (which can be used as a mid boost... most people don't consider that) opens a lot of options open up across the channel spectrum. I'd imagine the Herbert takes the D-Moll (which I think is a great amp) and elevates it to another level.

I've never been a Mesa Mark guy so can't really comment there.

Totally agreed on the boxy part. I much prefer a IV. It sounds more organic. For my taste the Mark 7, while I also preferred it to the JP2C, still had that pre-recorded/filtered/somewhat artificial sound that I don’t like and it didn’t track that well on faster riffs despite actually sounding tighter and harder than my actual iic+. I find these amps also feel disconnected to play vs the iic+’s and not as responsive to certain nuances

Between these two amps? Herbert.
The Herbert is a versatile beast and while it can do thrash stuff, I do think Marks inherently do the fast stuff better. Herbert is a huge, "wall of sound" style amp, so it takes a bit more careful eq'ing to get there. IME anyways.

I am also in the camp that likes the mk7 over the JP2C. Might be worth checking out.

Between those two, I'd take the JP2C. However, I prefer the Mark series tone over the Dizel tone.

Reactions: rsm
I own both amps and love both,

JP2C is my favorite, the herbert can cover alot of ground but one issue i did have when i played it live in a 2 guitar band was that it wouldnt cut throught the mix as good as my other amps, it would get lost if the other guitarist brought his marshall, i would crank my mids and wouldnt scoop it, but there was times i kept having to turn up just to be heard, also ran into issues when my drummer would crash certain cymbals that it would drown out my amp, i used it live quite a few times with bogner and diezel cabs, when i was in a band where i was the only guitar player i had zero issues, and for recording its great, but for me it was a problem when i played in a band with 2 guitars if the other player used a amp with alot of mids in the voicing.

I love having the two EQ on the Jp, both channels are voiced pretty much the same but you can shape each channel with the eq, and its ok for lower gain, it can do it, but theres other amps thats better for lower gain stuff, but it just depends how you dial it in and what pickups your using, the JP also worked good when i ran pedals through it.

I think Ian Crichton used an early Herbert in this live show. A little too much gain sometimes, but very clear overall...

That is one of the strangest bands I have ever seen. Three keyboardists? it is almost like two different bands playing at the same time.

Back