Herbert or JP2C

• Thread starter Thread starter Fusionbear
  • Start date Start date
That is one of the strangest bands I have ever seen. Three keyboardists? it is almost like two different bands playing at the same time.

Uh, ever heard of Depeche Mode or Missing Persons?

Reactions: rsm
Probably not much use as I haven’t played a JP2C or a Herbert, but I own a VH4 and a Mark IV so can comment more generally on Mark vs Diezel. Very different amps - the VH4 is stiffer, has loads of gain but is less liquid. I find the Mark IV to cut better and it has a more focussed, percussive low end, but the VH4’s low end is more massive. Both are tight though. I tend to feel a bit more disconnected from the VH4 when playing - it’s probably due to what some describe as the amp sounding high fidelity and also due to the stiffness of the amp (no sag). The flip side is once you get over that and just enjoy the sounds, it does makes a great sound: it sounds expensive and is quite unique. The Mark amp is rawer and has more bounce.

Last edited:
Herbert would be my choice, but I like the bigger and wider tones. The JP2C is tighter and more focused. I ended up selling my JP2C.

Comparison of them:

I own both amps and love both,

JP2C is my favorite, the herbert can cover alot of ground but one issue i did have when i played it live in a 2 guitar band was that it wouldnt cut throught the mix as good as my other amps, it would get lost if the other guitarist brought his marshall, i would crank my mids and wouldnt scoop it, but there was times i kept having to turn up just to be heard, also ran into issues when my drummer would crash certain cymbals that it would drown out my amp, i used it live quite a few times with bogner and diezel cabs, when i was in a band where i was the only guitar player i had zero issues, and for recording its great, but for me it was a problem when i played in a band with 2 guitars if the other player used a amp with alot of mids in the voicing.
This is exactly why mine didn't last long at all. Sounded awesome by itself but as soon as you put it next to an amp with strong mids, it got drown out quick. There's a reason that amp is 180w; it needs sheer volume to cut in the mix right.
Actually the Diezel hidden gem is the Einstein 👽
This. The Einstein is the best Diezel IMO.

Herbert would be my choice, but I like the bigger and wider tones. The JP2C is tighter and more focused. I ended up selling my JP2C.

Comparison of them:

For what I am looking for, the JP2C actually sounded more up my alley in this comparison clip. I love the Herbert's voicing, but I could see how it could get lost...

On a different note, I went to dinner with my wife last night at an upscale restaurant and there was a band playing that totally kicked ass. It was a three piece called Fun'c Martini. Female bass player that sang lead and harmony, guitarist that sang lead, and a ripping drummer. The guitarist was using a Mark 25 head and a 1x12 cab that was mic'd and he sounded awesome! I was so surprised that I had to walk in to see what was making that tone.

This just made me think that the JP2C will work for me better...

The guitarist was using a Mark 25 head and a 1x12 cab that was mic'd and he sounded awesome!
+1! Take it from someone who sold a Mark IV Rev A and got a Mark V:25 for that Mark tone at home. :giggle:
I did replace the internal fan with a more silent one. But man, that Crunch mode in CH1, love it!

I run it as a little mini-stack with two Thieles.

Attachments

• Mesa Mini stack Thiele.jpg
    Mesa Mini stack Thiele.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 17

Comparison of them:

Based on this clip, I hear some room for improvement for the JP-2C's settings;
a tad more gain is welcome, Mids to 9 'o clock, Bass and Treble slightly higher on the knobs, and on the GEQ lower the 240Hz a tad (to get rid of some low-mid wooly honk) and raise the 2200Hz a tad for some added definition and aggression.

And I prefer this over the other tones as well, although the Herbert would be my 2nd choice.

This is exactly why mine didn't last long at all. Sounded awesome by itself but as soon as you put it next to an amp with strong mids, it got drown out quick. There's a reason that amp is 180w; it needs sheer volume to cut in the mix right.

This. The Einstein is the best Diezel IMO.
This post makes me chuckle. Not because you are wrong, but because it brings back an early band memory from the early 00's that fits this exact scenario.

Our other guitar player picked up a Herbert mk1. He would play on channel 2+ or 3 with the depth up and that mid cut way up. Only way he was cutting through was with sheer volume from those 180 watts!. Lol! Thankfully, that insanity didn't last too long. No soundguy is going put up with that.

This post makes me chuckle. Not because you are wrong, but because it brings back an early band memory from the early 00's that fits this exact scenario.

Our other guitar player picked up a Herbert mk1. He would play on channel 2+ or 3 with the depth up and that mid cut way up. Only way he was cutting through was with sheer volume from those 180 watts!. Lol! Thankfully, that insanity didn't last too long. No soundguy is going put up with that.

This reminded of a gig where I ran sound for a Rush tribute band. The guitarist just bought a Bogner Uber. He was getting buried in the mix. Rush is all about mids for guitar. So, I patched a 31 band EQ at the board and cut bass and highs and added a boat load of mids.. Everyone loved the band and gushed on the tone. I didn't have the heart to tell him what I did at the board.....lol..

lol that’s a myth Not in my hands . Most guys do the mid shit really scooped . It’s terrible
I for my brief experience didn’t like Diezel sound too much. And don’t find it too appealing on vids too for some reason.

Just been thinking about some amps I really like and thought I would ask the RT crew their opinions on which of these two amps you would get and why...

My thought on these two is basically which is the best three channel switcher I could use from alt/shoegaze to tight metal and thrash, and throw a little psychedelic prog for good measure....
Once again, the only way to really know...

I look forward to your comparison. \:D/ However, Zenamps has to have covered these two amps. My computer is being a bitch or I'd post the videos.

I’d be looking at the VII in this scenario. Though my xtc classic still does it for me 20+ years later.

Back