Hetfield guitar book

• Thread starter Thread starter rottingcorpse
  • Start date Start date
49cbb9363e19632378fe0b55ebe3cda6.gif

Thanks for the scans Tone Monster but that's it? Nothing on the obscure elements of their past tones like Aphex EQs and the French market Ride the Lightning amp, etc?

Thanks for the scans Tone Monster but that's it? Nothing on the obscure elements of their past tones like Aphex EQs and the French market Ride the Lightning amp, etc?

There's more than that. There are about 8 pages of dense text talking about amps over the band's career. Some talk at length about the Crunchberries amp, etc. Quite a few pictures with settings visible. They also talk about studio vs live tones but they don't go into detail about settings or gear used outside the amps I don't think. Maybe there's some talk about mics but it's nothing like what an engineer's notebook would tell you. It's more about the stories around the particularly noteworthy amps.

Last edited:
Here’s some additional stuff about the Coliseum amp featured in the book.

IMG_9118.jpeg
IMG_9115.jpeg
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9117.jpeg
IMG_9119.jpeg
IMG_9114.jpeg

After having all the marks here’s how you get these tones closest by just plugging in
Master of Puppets: is a 2c++. Nothing special to add . You plug in and it’s the puppets time after setting to master settings .
And Justice For All:mark 3++ green stripe : it has the highs and extra chunk . It’s like Justice almost straight in.
Black album: mark 4 : you get closest to black album with 4 . It’s missing the Jose highs from the album but it’s close

There's more but not any incredible details. Too many variables to a studio tone.

After having all the marks here’s how you get these tones closest by just plugging in
Master of Puppets: is a 2c++. Nothing special to add . You plug in and it’s the puppets time after setting to master settings .
And Justice For All:mark 3++ green stripe : it has the highs and extra chunk . It’s like Justice almost straight in.
Black album: mark 4 : you get closest to black album with 4 . It’s missing the Jose highs from the album but it’s close

Man I couldn't disagree more about the Mark IV. Its a very nice amp, but next to my ++ it falls short. Sorry. It's that last 5-10%. When you hear it, you just smile and think, "Ahh, there it is!"

Got the autographed version. So on his first 84 explorer says it came with 500T and 496R pickups originally. Very odd since the 500T was released in 1989. It had dirty fingers in it originally for Christ's sake. Did Jaymz even proof read his own book?

Cool book though.

Man I couldn't disagree more about the Mark IV. Its a very nice amp, but next to my ++ it falls short. Sorry. It's that last 5-10%. When you hear it, you just smile and think, "Ahh, there it is!"
I didn’t say it was better . But i like 3 ++
Best of all I’ll say that . I got rid of all marks but that . I’m different. I liked Hermanson ,wizard and an old Diezel better . Do rid of them .But I regret it financially fr . I was dumb there .
Also I didn’t mean 2c++ was bad . I meant you in straight in and it’s master of puppets . Nothing special meant no special eqs or boost to get that tone

Hmm, I wonder if there's a chapter on there on why they cut their hair, sold out, and started writing garbage songs
Amen

Cliff is upstairs waiting for the tidal waves to hit the mainland...

Last edited:
Got the autographed version. So on his first 84 explorer says it came with 500T and 496R pickups originally. Very odd since the 500T was released in 1989. It had dirty fingers in it originally for Christ's sake. Did Jaymz even proof read his own book?

Cool book though.

I doubt that dude had a clue what he had back in the day. Not like they could just jump on the internet and find out info on production years or anything. There’s plenty of debate about the supposed Jose that got stolen in Boston and whether or not it was even a modded head, totally not surprised to see pickups in question.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a chapter on there on why they cut their hair, sold out, and started writing garbage songs
I Always find it funny when people are upset that Metallca cut their hair or changed their sound.

I doubt that dude had a clue what he had back in the day. Not like they could just jump on the internet and find out info on production years or anything. There’s plenty of debate about the supposed Jose that got stolen in Boston and whether or not it was even a modded head, totally not surprised to see pickups in question.
It does make a person wonder where that amp is today.

I didn’t say it was better . But i like 3 ++
Best of all I’ll say that . I got rid of all marks but that . I’m different. I liked Hermanson ,wizard and an old Diezel better . Do rid of them .But I regret it financially fr . I was dumb there .
Also I didn’t mean 2c++ was bad . I meant you in straight in and it’s master of puppets . Nothing special meant no special eqs or boost to get that tone
I kinda disagree there dude, they all get close but there's some definite post EQ'ing that has to be done to get the exact tone of those albums, or at least an additional EQ in the loop of the amp. I had a III red stripe simulclass and it certainly was heavy sounding, but couldn't get MOP tones straight in. There was some mid frequencies that I could not get rid of with that amp, and it could get rediculously bright if needed, like AJFA... that album has a very cold, dry vibe to it IMO.

I Always find it funny when people are upset that Metallca cut their hair or changed their sound.

Especially since it happened 30 years ago and nearly 40 years after the ‘last’ great Metallica album before they ”sold out”. :LOL:

I kinda disagree there dude, they all get close but there's some definite post EQ'ing that has to be done to get the exact tone of those albums, or at least an additional EQ in the loop of the amp. I had a III red stripe simulclass and it certainly was heavy sounding, but couldn't get MOP tones straight in. There was some mid frequencies that I could not get rid of with that amp, and it could get rediculously bright if needed, like AJFA... that album has a very cold, dry vibe to it IMO.
That’s why I picked which amp gets you closest . But 2c++ just is the master of puppets tone . I don’t think that tone on MOP is hard to get . You just need that amp and it definitely in there . The others are just close. .i guess it’s hard to get the MOP tone because of price now though

Back