How do I get my Soldano to sound like this?

• Thread starter Thread starter ceremony5150
  • Start date Start date
Sounded good (as much as you could tell from a vid camera). Looked like a hotplate on top and a rack of gear so who knows what's going on.

I usually can't stand the 80's/marshall/friedman thing, but that Soldano did sound really good.

Sounded a little darker than how I have mine set up but you can tell how articulate they are. If you can get some volume out of it the SLO will not disappoint. I boost mine just a little and it sounds so huge.

Sounded great. I've only had the chance to play a SLO at moderate volume. It didn't sound anywhere near that good.

One trick is to pull either the 2 inner or outer power tubes and halve the impedance to the cab and you can get that tone at a lower volume because of the half power. Full tube compliment sounds best but this way works well too.

ceremony5150":22rtschq said:
How do I get my SLO to sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYTuPIwtVA

Sounds like the power stage is working in that vid, so the attenuator is part of the tone. I've heard lots of guys say the SLO doesnt give up the goods at lower volume,so makes sense to me. I'd reccomend a Badcat Unleash. Best product ive used at getting the power stage to cook a bit on my bigger amps.

That sounded awesome. I wonder what kind of speakers were in that cab...also sounds a bit detuned which may be helping it sound darker, heavier.

Sounds like a hot pickup slamming the front end with the Soldano gain around 6-7 .
MV probably opened up enough to hit the sweet spot and that Marshall cabinet has something to do with it to.
Never liked the Soldano speakers/cabinets and found my Soldano to sound much better on Marshall style rear loaded cabinets.
When I went from PAF low output pickups to the Duncan Distortion (SH6) , I got that raw RNR mojo with ease.
I then realized why a lot of heavy players used high output pickups with modded amps , it gives you the raw RNR tone and you don't have to push the front end with a pedal to get it either .

This is a pretty standard SLO sound. The trick is to hit 5-6 on the master to have the power section cooking and it's plenty loud. It's really crushing. The other thing is, that the SLO is not a forgiving amp like an old plexi, your chops will shine or leave you in the dust with this.

Was recorded at my ampfest.

SLO was LOUD, really LOUUUUUUUUUUUUD.
Cab is old JCM800 with G12-65s
LP is a Burny and tuned down, think a full step down
LP has MotorCity Afwayu pickup at the bridge.
Hotplate was there to feed the rack but was not used in this clip.
No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

lordriffenstein":19qh1bsf said:
Was recorded at my ampfest.

LP has MotorCity Afwayu pickup at the bridge.

Well there you go , a 16k high output pickup.
With that and a high gain preamp design and added volume , we have the answers.

mmmmm g12265s! I have my Bogner loaded with some on the way right now for my SLO Clone :D

Yeah, i listen to that clip now and then and it always gets the Soldano gas brewing.

I've have an SLO and the only way I have found to truly get the goods is to open it up on the master volume! Unfortunately, in my situation I can't open it up like I used to be able to and have found myself very frustrated and displeased with the amp at lower volumes. I know there are a lot of guys out there that say they can get great tones at lower volumes but in my experience once you are able to experience it at loud volumes anything less is disappointing.

Back