How do I get my Soldano to sound like this?

• Thread starter Thread starter ceremony5150
  • Start date Start date
lordriffenstein":1qjmrjgf said:
Was recorded at my ampfest.

SLO was LOUD, really LOUUUUUUUUUUUUD.
Cab is old JCM800 with G12-65s
LP is a Burny and tuned down, think a full step down
LP has MotorCity Afwayu pickup at the bridge.
Hotplate was there to feed the rack but was not used in this clip.
No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

I have a 4x12 with g12-65s...they sound better IMO as you get them pushing some air. People say they're like a higher wattage greenback. They are worlds better than the T75s...which to me sound so brittle and ice picky.

gmcelroy":24ttfma4 said:
I've have an SLO and the only way I have found to truly get the goods is to open it up on the master volume! Unfortunately, in my situation I can't open it up like I used to be able to and have found myself very frustrated and displeased with the amp at lower volumes. I know there are a lot of guys out there that say they can get great tones at lower volumes but in my experience once you are able to experience it at loud volumes anything less is disappointing.

Simple solution , re-amp it .
Run your amp to a load resistor , then go slave out to a SS power amp for desired volume.
Now you can open the amp up to it's sweet spot and get the goods at any level.

Here is the resistor i use ( recommended by Bill Sundt @ Soldano) and any clean power amp will work:
http://www.parts-express.com/8-ohm-200w ... r--019-030
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM200L

It's simple and you don't have to spend big money to do it.

lordriffenstein":36h3084s said:

No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

Out of curiosity, what other Soldano products achieve the same signature sound in smaller power stage configurations that can be pushed harder to avoid LOUD? Or is the SLO 100 a unique beast without a smaller equivalent?

mdc1mdc11":1qxy9hib said:
lordriffenstein":1qxy9hib said:

No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

Out of curiosity, what other Soldano products achieve the same signature sound in smaller power stage configurations that can be pushed harder to avoid LOUD? Or is the SLO 100 a unique beast without a smaller equivalent?

HR25
http://www.soldano.com/products/guitar- ... ot-rod-25/

there is a combo of things that get this clip sounding really good.

actually a good sounding room, big with a decent amount of reflective surface for natural ambience

loud. my soldano loves loud. at least 9 oclock on the master volume. but sweet spont is at noon.

that gets the speakers cooking and cab resonance going.

i usually use my rockcrusher to knock down a few dbs.

g1265 speakers. a little warmer and a little more bass than greenback, much less honky.

afwayu. hot and dark pickup, well maybe not so much dark as rolled off on the highest highs.

tuned down. man i have always been surprised at how mean and modern my slo can sound with downtuned guitars.

keeps the clarity without the mud, especially with the depth knob off or turned way down.

i love my SLO!

Notice also how the tone changes dramatically starting at about 1:05 as the mic moves around. There is a LOT of room sound at the beginning and end of the clip, which really warms it up.

In any case, that's a great sound. Getting the power tubes involved makes such a difference.

I can only hope my Avenger sounds this good when it shows up tomorrow.

RevolverRT":1znkwbjc said:
lordriffenstein":1znkwbjc said:

No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

I have a 4x12 with g12-65s...they sound better IMO as you get them pushing some air. People say they're like a higher wattage greenback. They are worlds better than the T75s...which to me sound so brittle and ice picky.
This is almost exactly my setup. No LP but Charvel Custom with same pickups, old Marshall G12 65 cab and I boost it just a little with an eq pedal. Sounds awesome. If I droptuned and darkened it a little..I always wanted one and really understand the hype. Gotta turn it up though...

DET1973":19z01cvk said:

I had an Avenger 100 with DeYoung transformers and it will do it with ease.
I have a HR100+ now and i can get that easily with just a hot pickup into the amp . :rock:
No pedals are needed , but you will need to run the MV above 5 to hit the sweet spot though.

JB6464":rqcxm69r said:
DET1973":rqcxm69r said:

I had an Avenger 100 with DeYoung transformers and it will do it with ease.
I have a HR100+ now and i can get that easily with just a hot pickup into the amp . :rock:
No pedals are needed , but you will need to run the MV above 5 to hit the sweet spot though.

My Avenger is the Hot Rod Avenger with the FX Loop. I use Les Pauls and EMG'S? I also use a Maxon OD-9, BUT since i don't have the Avenger yet not sure if i will need the boost or not?

Maybe with DeYoungs it will sound better than the regular Avenger but there's a reason the SLO is king. A friend who just sold an Avenger was over the other day and tried my SLO. He said it wasn't even close. He plays a VH4 and said he liked the SLO a little better. I used to have an HR100 and it was a nice amp. But it's not an SLO..all Soldano stuff is good but all the pros that have paid Soldano for their amps chose the SLO. Good luck with the Avenger and I agree it is a very good amp. But after playing this amp everything else pales in comparison. IMO only.. :rock:

Racerxrated":2t2fnifo said:
Maybe with DeYoungs it will sound better than the regular Avenger but there's a reason the SLO is king. A friend who just sold an Avenger was over the other day and tried my SLO. He said it wasn't even close. He plays a VH4 and said he liked the SLO a little better. I used to have an HR100 and it was a nice amp. But it's not an SLO..all Soldano stuff is good but all the pros that have paid Soldano for their amps chose the SLO. Good luck with the Avenger and I agree it is a very good amp. But after playing this amp everything else pales in comparison. IMO only.. :rock:

I've heard an avenger now with the Deyoungs and with the MM tranny's & even with the current Tranny & they all sounded very similar to each other. where i have noticed the largest difference is which tubes are being used. I'm not looking for that exact tone, close would be nice. i play Hardcore Punk Rock so anything that gets me in the ball park is cool with me.

I've had all 3 mentioned (SLO , HR100 , A100) and they all have the Soldano tone .
It's just a matter of personal taste of which one you like for your style of music.

This is how i broke it down between the amps from my opinion of them:

SLO = Singing lead tone and very dynamic with great string definition but also more Hi-Fi sounding of the three.
There is no room for user error because if you suck it will show your weaknesses real fast .
The SLO has it's own signature sound , no other Soldano amp sounds exactly like it.

HR100+ = Everything a SLO has minus the Clean/switch channel and DeYoung iron.
To me it sounds more like a hot rodded Marshall (preamp) and Fender (power section) in one amp , basically a souped up amp with the signature Soldano sound. The lead channel is identical to the SLO , but without the clean switch you really can't get super clean. It is real close to the SLO / DeYoung tone wise but with the MM iron there's enough differences to make it sound more like a hot rodded RNR amp and not so Hi-Fi sounding like the SLO .

Avenger 100 = Slightly more modern sounding than the regular HR amps but without channel switching , if Soldano lead gain is all you need the Avenger does just that.

That's a great way to sum them up. I really liked my HR, but sold it to fund a Cameron I think? But always wanted an SLO. Glad I took the plunge. I can tell you this..they have amazing customer service. When I got this SLO it started popping fuses. I thought "oh no, it's the OT.." and I didn't have any spare 6L6s since I've been a Marshall guy. Called Soldano and Mike himself called me back in like 20 minutes! Pretty cool to talk to him..he said just pull 2 of the inner or outer power tubes and halve the impedance to find out which power tubes were bad. Of course that was the solution and I just ordered a new matched set. Pretty cool to talk to the owner of the company!

JB6464":25j3mrzr said:
gmcelroy":25j3mrzr said:
I've have an SLO and the only way I have found to truly get the goods is to open it up on the master volume! Unfortunately, in my situation I can't open it up like I used to be able to and have found myself very frustrated and displeased with the amp at lower volumes. I know there are a lot of guys out there that say they can get great tones at lower volumes but in my experience once you are able to experience it at loud volumes anything less is disappointing.

Run your amp to a load resistor , then go slave out to a SS power amp for desired volume.

Here is the resistor i use ( recommended by Bill Sundt @ Soldano) and any clean power amp will work:

I understand the concept but looking at the load resister I don't understand how you would connect the amp to it? is there anywhere that may have a diagram or picture?

gmcelroy":1skttk0j said:
JB6464":1skttk0j said:
gmcelroy":1skttk0j said:

I understand the concept but looking at the load resister I don't understand how you would connect the amp to it? is there anywhere that may have a diagram or picture?

Clip the eyelets off the two wire ends and solder a standard 1/4" jack to them .
You can mount the resistor anywhere , i mount mine in the back of a small 4 space rack.
Warning , the resistor does get hot but that's normal and Bill Sundt@Soldano says that's normal with regular use..
Set Soldano to 8ohm load on back of amp and run the speaker cable from amp to load resistor.
Now go from Slave output jack on back of amp to effects or straight to power amp of your choice . :rock:

gmcelroy":2f7m6cfg said:
JB6464":2f7m6cfg said:
gmcelroy":2f7m6cfg said:

Or, you can just buy one of these, and have it all in one small, safe package that works killer! :rock:

gtrwun":2sn16a56 said:
gmcelroy":2sn16a56 said:
JB6464":2sn16a56 said:
gmcelroy":2sn16a56 said:

Or, you can just buy one of these, and have it all in one small, safe package that works killer! :rock:

And spend hard earned cash for nothing or save your cash and spend $32.00 and buy other gear with the rest. :confused:
Unless you want to attenuate your volume down , it's a waste of money in my opinion.

I had an Unleash. Great concept, used it with a Cameron Aldrich I had for the loop. But to my ears it took some of the bite out of the tone. I would hate to lose some of that SLO bite..

Back