How do I get my Soldano to sound like this?

• Thread starter Thread starter ceremony5150
  • Start date Start date
lordriffenstein":2peo9j0f said:
Was recorded at my ampfest.

SLO was LOUD, really LOUUUUUUUUUUUUD.
Cab is old JCM800 with G12-65s
LP is a Burny and tuned down, think a full step down
LP has MotorCity Afwayu pickup at the bridge.
Hotplate was there to feed the rack but was not used in this clip.
No attenuation.
It was LOUD!

Many thanks for the advice! My next amp has to be a SLO100!

JB6464":2du4zayd said:
gtrwun":2du4zayd said:
gmcelroy":2du4zayd said:
JB6464":2du4zayd said:
gmcelroy":2du4zayd said:
I've have an SLO and the only way I have found to truly get the goods is to open it up on the master volume! Unfortunately, in my situation I can't open it up like I used to be able to and have found myself very frustrated and displeased with the amp at lower volumes. I know there are a lot of guys out there that say they can get great tones at lower volumes but in my experience once you are able to experience it at loud volumes anything less is disappointing.

Simple solution , re-amp it .
Run your amp to a load resistor , then go slave out to a SS power amp for desired volume.
Now you can open the amp up to it's sweet spot and get the goods at any level.

Here is the resistor i use ( recommended by Bill Sundt @ Soldano) and any clean power amp will work:
http://www.parts-express.com/8-ohm-200w ... r--019-030
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM200L

It's simple and you don't have to spend big money to do it.

I understand the concept but looking at the load resister I don't understand how you would connect the amp to it? is there anywhere that may have a diagram or picture?
Or, you can just buy one of these, and have it all in one small, safe package that works killer! :rock:

And spend hard earned cash for nothing or save your cash and spend $32.00 and buy other gear with the rest. :confused:
Unless you want to attenuate your volume down , it's a waste of money in my opinion.

Yeah, spend the money for nothing, thats exactly what I was implying. Nice comment.The unleash is made for reamping, which is what you were suggesting to the OP. btw, for the price of that Carvin power amp, you could easily pick up an Unleash on the used market.
And yes, I agree the Unleash is not perfect, but it does work well for what it is and the loop alone is worth the price if your using an amp with no loop or a questionable one? The Soldano I had was very finicky in regards to the loop and what you ran in it. My opinion.

gtrwun":40rurr70 said:
JB6464":40rurr70 said:
gtrwun":40rurr70 said:
gmcelroy":40rurr70 said:
JB6464":40rurr70 said:
gmcelroy":40rurr70 said:
I've have an SLO and the only way I have found to truly get the goods is to open it up on the master volume! Unfortunately, in my situation I can't open it up like I used to be able to and have found myself very frustrated and displeased with the amp at lower volumes. I know there are a lot of guys out there that say they can get great tones at lower volumes but in my experience once you are able to experience it at loud volumes anything less is disappointing.

Simple solution , re-amp it .
Run your amp to a load resistor , then go slave out to a SS power amp for desired volume.
Now you can open the amp up to it's sweet spot and get the goods at any level.

Here is the resistor i use ( recommended by Bill Sundt @ Soldano) and any clean power amp will work:
http://www.parts-express.com/8-ohm-200w ... r--019-030
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM200L

It's simple and you don't have to spend big money to do it.

I understand the concept but looking at the load resister I don't understand how you would connect the amp to it? is there anywhere that may have a diagram or picture?
Or, you can just buy one of these, and have it all in one small, safe package that works killer! :rock:

And spend hard earned cash for nothing or save your cash and spend $32.00 and buy other gear with the rest. :confused:
Unless you want to attenuate your volume down , it's a waste of money in my opinion.

Yeah, spend the money for nothing, thats exactly what I was implying. Nice comment.The unleash is made for reamping, which is what you were suggesting to the OP. btw, for the price of that Carvin power amp, you could easily pick up an Unleash on the used market.
And yes, I agree the Unleash is not perfect, but it does work well for what it is and the loop alone is worth the price if your using an amp with no loop or a questionable one? The Soldano I had was very finicky in regards to the loop and what you ran in it. My opinion.

I'm sure the Unleash is a good unit and I've heard good things about it
But new at $450 , you can buy a nice light weight power amp cheaper and slip it in a small rack with other effects and not have to lug a box around .
If we're talking used , well you can find used power amps everywhere pretty cheap since they are not in that big of demand on the used market and then you have the option of different styles of power amp choices verses the unleash which will again not be easy to find on the used market and those who have one most likely won't sell it.
I agree though , the loop on a Soldano sucks pretty bad . Not only is it set up for a +4 db unit , it's placed in the wrong part of the preamp design , before the tone stack.
But in the end it's all just personal choices , I just can't see spending that kind of money for the unleash when there are cheaper options and with those options you get more choices as to what you want to re-amp with to create your tone .

The Unleash works well. The problem I had with it is the fact that it's reamped solid state...therefore losing some of the edge with the Marshall I had...I think getting a tube power amp and doing the wet dry thing would be better.

Racerxrated":36q24dxh said:
The Unleash works well. The problem I had with it is the fact that it's reamped solid state...therefore losing some of the edge with the Marshall I had...I think getting a tube power amp and doing the wet dry thing would be better.

Agreed. My least favorite aspect is the loss of bite and it is noticeable for sure.

Back