How far you willing to travel for a CL or Marketplace deal ?

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
Buying...less than 80 miles apparently because I see stuff up in Austin all the time I'd be interested in, but it's not worth the effort to go get. lol

Selling....my front door.

I’ve driven close to two hours one way before, from here in the north Georgia mountains to just outside Greenville, SC. For the right deal that isn’t too far. It wasn’t as annoying as driving down to Atlanta at least.

I went to Chicago...twice...which is about 6 hrs one way. First time, for a Jubilee AV cab(from 1987) for 250$...that was my first experience with those first version Marshall Vintage speakers.
Second time was for a Cameron Jose MiG 100...900 bucks. Didn't work right...until I sprayed the shit out of it with deoxit....all the pots were dirty as hell. Sounded killer after.
This was all over ten yrs ago....don't know if I'd do it again, that's a LOONG day.

Probably anywhere in the PNW.
Mostly because it's so pretty (mostly, :ROFLMAO:).
Though only if it's something rare I've been looking for/wanting vs it just being a deal.

I think my longest drive was LA to San Diego for a pair of EVM12S Pro-Lines. So about 200 miles round-trip.

Edit: Actually, that was an Ebay deal. Driving was cheaper than shipping the two EVM's in their cabinets.

What am I getting? I've gone 2+ hours for the right deal. Fuck, I drove 5 hours in a snow storm to trade pedals. I guess if I need it, I need it.

I have people in all sorts of places.. Texas, LA, MS, AL, FL, Ga, NC, Va, Ok, Ky, WV, Mass, Ca, NM. A wide net makes things easier. Having said that I would not ship a 4x12

Furthest I've driven is 100 miles NYC to Philly, but these days the max I look is 50 miles and even then if the Google Maps time is over an hour I bail.

I have taken up scouting new markets when visiting family though. Scored a MIJ Fender Bass for $500 when it probably should have gone for 50% more than that but the location was remote so no one wanted it.

Depends. I'd drive to south Austin to buy a guitar pedal but I'd go to Louisiana or Mississippi if I was getting a good deal on a pedal steel because they usually command less $ over there. Shipping costs and being able to see stuff in person counts for something on more expensive and harder to find items.

I’ve driven close to two hours one way before, from here in the north Georgia mountains to just outside Greenville, SC. For the right deal that isn’t too far. It wasn’t as annoying as driving down to Atlanta at least.
I hear you. I live about 35-40 minutes outside of Atlanta and almost all the guitar stores I care to visit and the amp tech I like, involve passing though or really close (perimeter) and it can be a real drag traffic wise.

Back