I feel dirty for buying this, but...

• Thread starter Thread starter sahlomonic
  • Start date Start date
sahlomonic
sahlomonic
Couldn't pass it up for $315 at GC. Presence and Master Volume pots were wonky, but DeOxit cleaned up most of the issues pretty quick.

I've seen a few bands use them live and have been impressed with how they sound especially for heavier tones. Mostly got this to compliment my son's Spider Valve MkI combo when we jam.

I'm not really a fan of the solid state Spider amps, but mating those to a tube circuit is a pretty good tone improvement.

Bring on the flames!

PXL_20230928_210151286.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

No flames here, with the right settings, maybe a boost, Line 6 gear can sound pretty damned good. They get such a bad rap, mostly from people who want a plug and play amp, which they just aren't.
I’d love to hear one in person

I knew a guy that used one of these for his main amp and it did sound good but he always ran it through 2 Marshall 4x12 bottoms. Alot of oddball rigs can be tweaked to sound decent in the right hands.

No flames from me! With the right speakers those amps can rip. I jammed with a friend of mine awhile back, and he around 10 different amp heads to choose from. He decided to use the Line 6/Bogner (same as yours) that day, and damn, I was surprised. It sounded very good. Those heads are a great bargain.

Don't quote me but I think Andy LaRocque used these at some point.

These were cool amps. I liked the Vypyr Tube models a bit better (and own the 60w combo), but nothing wrong with the Spider Valves - they look way more cool, for one!

I can't say much, I have a dt25 and think it's pretty cool. Never tried a spider valve. It can't be too bad with a Bogner designed power section. Line 6 earned the bad rep from their early days. Stuff has been much improved since then.

Well to be fair, the rep was good in the recording world 'cause ProTools used L6 models in "Amp Farm" back in the '90s and the POD bean units were everywhere 'cause they delivered good, warm tones.

They may not have been accurate by today's standards but folks overlooked that for the convenience and quality of results. I'm talking for pop music of course and some rock. Don't know about metal.

IMHO their reputation took a hit during the HD500 (and model upgrades) era. Personally I struggled with that unit, a first for me with L6, and it took me 2 years to finally get some good tones out of it.

Couldn't pass it up for $315 at GC. Presence and Master Volume pots were wonky, but DeOxit cleaned up most of the issues pretty quick.

I've seen a few bands use them live and have been impressed with how they sound especially for heavier tones. Mostly got this to compliment my son's Spider Valve MkI combo when we jam.

I'm not really a fan of the solid state Spider amps, but mating those to a tube circuit is a pretty good tone improvement.

Bring on the flames!

View attachment 252320
I do not ‘hate’ L6 by any means but I had that head up for sale an hour after I got it home. Still don’t feel the same way about R Bogner for slapping his name on it.

I hope it jives better with you!

Craig from Forbidden was using one of these when I saw them in 2010. It sounded great!

line 6 gets a bad rap. I can make it work. It might not be an exact copy of an amp but it can still be something usable and decent....the real low end amps....yeah...hard to work with.

Those are fun amps man. I was doing the metalcore thing when they came out and a lot of local bands were using them.
Sweet deal for $315

Craig from Forbidden was using one of these when I saw them in 2010. It sounded great!
I saw the Omega Wave tour as well but I honestly thought Steve Smyth's EVH tone was superior to Craig's tone. I was mainly in the front row and hearing all stage volume. At least I caught a Smyth guitar pick!

Back