I'm James: I'm a Tube-a-holic.... recently, i've been heavily considering going digital. thoughts?

• Thread starter Thread starter JimAnsell
  • Start date Start date
I’ve used digital modeling for about 20 years in some form or another. I like it ok but prefer analog. SS or tube or hybrid and can even include some digital fx and like cab modeling fine. It’s mainly the digital amps I’ve tried. They fall short to my ears and hands in a live playing situation. I don’t mean they sound bad, just that it still is not quite up there with tube/SS/hybrid solutions IME.

I do like modeling though and have a rig I’m 100% satisfied with.

Black Widow Audio Designs MGP-1A Analog Modeling Preamp - 18 amp models, 4 Tung Sol 12ax7’s, Venum Modeling Engine

Plus

Axiom Effects PAE-1 Power Amp Emulator - 9v analog pedal emulating tube power amps to an uncanny level.

I use Line 6 HXFX for my effects and output to a mix of real cabs powered by class D solid state, and incorporate a Two Notes CAB M+ for DynIR to powered PA and mixing that with the real cabs sounds.

You should check out NAM (neural amp modeler). It's complete freeware open source. It's similar to the tech in tonex or the Kemper. There's a massive community dedicated to capturing all sorts of kickass gear and posting it for free.

I have a current helix and NAM kicks it to the curb. Only drawback is you need some kind of hardware to plug your guitar into your PC to get it to work that you may have to buy.

Check it out, hopefully it saves you some $.

badlander combo. small enough, can play with headphones or through the combo, can record direct or go di at the venue. less fucking knob twiddling than kemper or any of that other mess.

So I actually bought an FM9 thinking I might just use the effects. But I experimented with some of the amps and cabs and was getting some enjoyable tones. I used it in rehearsal and in the band context I liked I even more. Then I used it on a gig and I have to say I'm going all in. Probably get a pair of EV PXM monitors. Part of what helped me get this was when I stopped trying to get "the amp in a room" sound. As someone else said somewhere I was reading it's more like an amp with a mic . That makes sense to me. I'll never sell my Redplate Magica 100 and Mesa 2x12 vertical cab. No way in hell. But the FM9 is a very enjoyable alternative.

The digital amp sims are fun when you want to get another tone without buying/building the actual amp.

They're getting better all the time.

The digital amp sims are fun when you want to get another tone without buying/building the actual amp.

They're getting better all the time.
I would be more surprised if they were getting worse and worse :)

Back