Iron Maiden fans - Great Adrian Smith video from today 12/7

• Thread starter Thread starter Markedman
  • Start date Start date
I was so happy to see them right next to the stage on this last tour. I was ten feet from Bruce. They are awesome live! All of them

What a cool, cool dude. So easy and relaxed. Just pro through and through. It’s so easy to go down the boutique gear rabbit hole chasing God only knows what. Great to hear someone with so much salt using a very ‘work horse’ kind of overdrive tone - a tone that probably anyone on this forum could duplicate with the gear we already own - and just let his ability do the talking.

He’s talking about Clive Burr. I really prefer Clive over Nico, honestly. Clive had more groove and was more in the pocket. Which made Maiden sound tighter to me.
Same here, and for the exact same reason I prefer Les Binks in Judas Priest over all their other drummers.
Plus, Nicko also has this tendency to speed up during a song; even on albums! Disclaimer, the newer Maiden albums are not really my thing. However, on "Brave New World", one of my favourite songs "Dream of Mirrors", but those tempo increases are annoying. If Nicko's overall style was more fluid, it would probably not be as pronounced.

Btw, Clive's live tempos can be something to behold; "Beast over Hammersmith" '82 (IIRC) you'd imagine they're coked up or something.

Professionally recorded track, with amp at arena volume, vs at TV volume, probably recorded with a phone.

Not to mention the fact that you have to be listening with "rose colored headphones", because the JVM in his room sounds a less scratchy and buzzy than the isolated tone.
I know, Adrian’s impromptu home recording was probably made with zero regard to audio quality so whether or not that JVM sounds amazing in the room, his clip surely didn’t show it, especially since the backing track (with original studio guitar track) is just as loud.

He’s talking about Clive Burr. I really prefer Clive over Nico, honestly. Clive had more groove and was more in the pocket. Which made Maiden sound tighter to me.
Steve Harris says when Clive was on he was great but started getting very inconsistent on the Beast on the Road tour so they fired him. Maiden never sounded aggressive again after Clive.

I doubt it was an old marshall, they used jmp-1`s forever
JMP-1 preamp didn’t exist in 84-85 when Live after Death was recorded. Liner notes for that album confirm 50w jcm 800. and or Jmp Marshall heads

Professionally recorded track, with amp at arena volume, vs at TV volume, probably recorded with a phone.

Not to mention the fact that you have to be listening with "rose colored headphones", because the JVM in his room sounds a less scratchy and buzzy than the isolated tone.

I was going to say... how are you comparing and in the room mic that is likely off a phone or camera with a soundboard recording that has been EQ'd at the board. I love his old tone on that tour , not sure if those were just boosted 800's or not but he has always had an ear for tone.

Steve Harris says when Clive was on he was great but started getting very inconsistent on the Beast on the Road tour so they fired him. Maiden never sounded aggressive again after Clive.
Interesting. I heard that Nico kinda stole the job from Clive by planting the seeds of doubt in the other band members about Clive’s drumming. The implication was that there wasn’t anything wrong with Clive’s drumming but that Nico did it to get Clive out and him in. I have NO idea if that’s true, but I remember hearing or reading that somewhere a long time ago.
Either way, my favorite live footage of Maiden is the live concert they shot with Clive from the Beast tour, circa ‘82. That must’ve been an “on night” for Clive bc I don’t think Maiden ever sounded better or tighter than then. They’re awesome after Clive, for sure. But as the years have passed, I just find Nico’s drumming too...spastic. Kind of like Genick’s stage presence. Man, I REALLY hate that guy. He brings nothing to the table for Maiden, imho.

totally agree with the Gers comment. Saw him with Dickinson solo and was just shaking my head when he was named to replace AS.

Interesting. I heard that Nico kinda stole the job from Clive by planting the seeds of doubt in the other band members about Clive’s drumming. The implication was that there wasn’t anything wrong with Clive’s drumming but that Nico did it to get Clive out and him in. I have NO idea if that’s true, but I remember hearing or reading that somewhere a long time ago.
Either way, my favorite live footage of Maiden is the live concert they shot with Clive from the Beast tour, circa ‘82. That must’ve been an “on night” for Clive bc I don’t think Maiden ever sounded better or tighter than then. They’re awesome after Clive, for sure. But as the years have passed, I just find Nico’s drumming too...spastic. Kind of like Genick’s stage presence. Man, I REALLY hate that guy. He brings nothing to the table for Maiden, imho.

Bit of historical drama there in the Maiden camp.. I love it! I think Clive was awesome, I don't buy him losing steam live at all. I was listening to an old interview the other day and they implied he just lost interest... maybe the physical drop was from him personally losing interest or having some personal problems which affected his physical ability. (Maybe he drank more before shows etc etc) I think Nico is awesome though but two diff styles of drumming. Nico better fits where they went with their band and the sound though. But Clive is killer on Number of the Beast.

ditto

Back