Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
shit it's too much information and too many posts and too many people talking

nothing new under the sun,

seems there should be something to limit the amount of bullshit on forums in general?

like a moderator, or someone talks the time to sum up everything answer real questions and then the post/thread ends

that will never happen,

and hence why i try not to post

and now i'm rambling
We’re on the other forum 😂

It was a real dick move from Gibson who sent a male stripper to crash the party with an erotic cake that read, “Sorry you didn’t C+ this coming Randall! Thanks for the circuits and C++ you later!!!”
giphy.gif

Seriously. Have you been to TGP? They are still posting in threads from four years ago with 100+ pages of posts. This forum is much more digestible.
Haven’t spent much time there to be honest, but I heard a lot about “moderator” part 😂

I read an article by one of the design team thanking Randy and it sounded like this was a planned departure. That said, did he sell Mesa Engineering as well as Mesa Boogie to Gibson? Were they not two different companies. I only have my IIB Randy built at home in 79 and Mike B rebuilt to a IIC+ in 85 and own a few other toys but that has been the my work horse for many pleasing years. It will be a change not being able to make the quick trip to Petaluma for tubes or a quick maintenance check. They really were q full customer service oriented buisness focused on taking care of their clients. But Gibson has a chance to do it right, or to fall on their face. Let's see. Only time will tell. But to Randy and Mike B, and all in Petaluma, you came a long way from the Doghouse and the irish pub in the park. Congratulations, Thank You, and enjoy retirement. And if you happen to have acard or two left up your sleeve will look forward to hearing it.

I love that Bendinelli is included here. Unsung hero
Can't think of a person more deserving of that title than Mike. Just an all around good guy with a passion for the business.

It'll be a sad and happy day when he decides to hang up his soldering iron.

Hopefully Gibson realizes what made Mesa Boogie so successful and sticks to hiring good people & providing top-notch service/repair.

An aside: why on Earth did Mesa never put out a signature Hetfield amp? It HAD to be Hetfield saying no, had to be. He was forever a diva and very secretive about his tones.

An aside: why on Earth did Mesa never put out a signature Hetfield amp? It HAD to be Hetfield saying no, had to be. He was forever a diva and very secretive about his tones.
My understanding is he had at least one custom one made. It looks like a Mark but it had a big knob in the middle IIRC. It's popped up in the background of a couple studio vids of Metallica and I remember a couple years ago there was a video with Hetfield talking with a wall of amps behind him, and it was sitting in the background.

Either way, Flemming Rasmussen has published all the notes on the AJFA tones, so the cat has been out of the bag for a while. Plus with AI now you can separate guitar tracks on mastered albums and use even a $80 Mooer pedal let alone a Kemper or Axe FX to tone match it. There's a bunch of free IR packs too that will get you there as well. Plus it's less of a secret now how to get a great metal tone out of an early Boogie Mark amp, as the YouTube information revolution the past 2 decades has really killed the gatekeeping that was so prevalent for so long in the music mixing business.

My understanding is he had at least one custom one made. It looks like a Mark but it had a big knob in the middle IIRC. It's popped up in the background of a couple studio vids of Metallica and I remember a couple years ago there was a video with Hetfield talking with a wall of amps behind him, and it was sitting in the background.

Either way, Flemming Rasmussen has published all the notes on the AJFA tones, so the cat has been out of the bag for a while. Plus with AI now you can separate guitar tracks on mastered albums and use even a $80 Mooer pedal let alone a Kemper or Axe FX to tone match it. There's a bunch of free IR packs too that will get you there as well. Plus it's less of a secret now how to get a great metal tone out of an early Boogie Mark amp, as the YouTube information revolution the past 2 decades has really killed the gatekeeping that was so prevalent for so long in the music mixing business.
For sure. The tones can somewhat be recreated. BUT my angle is Hetfield helping out Mesa. If he agreed to an sig amp it would sell sooooooooo many amps!!!

Back