Is the Katana THAT good?? Best clips??

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
Mailman1971":c3vrsd4j said:
It's all relative. Same as buying cars. Tons of different models. Different accessories. But they all get us from 'A TO B' correct?
Why not all drive chevettes? Since none of us are NASCAR racers?
People buy what they want. Coming on like someone's mother 'your wasting your money Charles!!' Is just laughable. :lol: :LOL:
If that was the case we would all be playing Hondo guitars thru Crate amps.
I think my hobby is cheap compared to my bud who is restoring a 68 Camaro.
Does he plan on racing it? No. Just reached a point in his life where he is doing what he wants.
Showed him this thread over a couple beers ago. He laughed and said 'tell that' guy to go fuck off' :lol: :LOL:
So if someone thinks buying a piece of twenty five cents bubble gum is crazy.
Then they don't get it. :yes:

The Katana is probably the best bang for the buck you can find. LOTS of FX included.

indespise":h9sut7zc said:
I'll have to second the nod towards the current gen vypyr amps. Those things have no business sounding that good for high gain extreme metal stuff at their price point.

Is current version the best? Is that the "Vypyr Pro"?

OP, have you ever played the old 80s Randall RG80/100? The tubelike feel of those amps is spot on to the Katana IMO. Those old Randalls sound pretty damn good and you'd be hard pressed at first to really know it was SS. After a while though you can tell, but they both have by far the best tubelike thing of any SS that I've played. Not including the AXE, I played one through a tube power amp so that doesn't count.

Racerxrated":tebxdjnm said:
OP, have you ever played the old 80s Randall RG80/100? The tubelike feel of those amps is spot on to the Katana IMO. Those old Randalls sound pretty damn good and you'd be hard pressed at first to really know it was SS. After a while though you can tell, but they both have by far the best tubelike thing of any SS that I've played. Not including the AXE, I played one through a tube power amp so that doesn't count.

Is this any good?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/msg/d/ ... 10086.html

Do you not have a PC? There's a lot of free amp sims that sound really good. That's really all I do anymore. I actually prefer them to my axe fx ultra.

slyym":ui6q76bc said:
Do you not have a PC? There's a lot of free amp sims that sound really good. That's really all I do anymore. I actually prefer them to my axe fx ultra.

Have a laptop. How's it work?? I have killer headphones as well.

I thought about exploring some web-based stuff, but I don't know much about it. Any insight would be great!

napalmdeath":q6lrx1v9 said:
Racerxrated":q6lrx1v9 said:

Is this any good?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/msg/d/ ... 10086.html
No. Here's one......
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Randal ... 3278754.gc

You can actually find them cheaper, I had one that I paid 149 for...but it was a combo. Lynch recorded Tooth and Nail with one from what I remember....

napalmdeath":w40grnxl said:
slyym":w40grnxl said:

Have a laptop. How's it work?? I have killer headphones as well.

I thought about exploring some web-based stuff, but I don't know much about it. Any insight would be great!

You would need a daw if you didn't have one. I know protools makes a free one that should work. Also an interface to get your guitar signal into your pc.

oldmtlhed":393zlr1l said:
Shask":393zlr1l said:
once I got it home and dialed in an OD boost before the amp, and a Parametric EQ afterwards, it came to life. The heavy sound I use normally is something in the neighborhood of the sound Death got on Human

That is exactly what I plan to do with mine, when I get it.
Maxon OD808 in front, and MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. ( Along with my TC Electronic g*Major )
I will have more effects than I will know what to do with.

If I can get anywhere near Chuck Schuldiner tone... i'll be super stoked. \:D/

Just use the built in Tubescreamer boost, and 10-band EQ, or Parametric EQ. You can dial in all the boost and EQ settings, and just save it as a sound on the amp. You can have all this pre-programmed to sound like this when you turn it on, every time. You don't really need any external units.

napalmdeath":3te01u01 said:
indespise":3te01u01 said:
I'll have to second the nod towards the current gen vypyr amps. Those things have no business sounding that good for high gain extreme metal stuff at their price point.

Is current version the best? Is that the "Vypyr Pro"?

I haven't played on a Pro. I have a VIP 2, and the other guitarist in my band has a 3. He's currently using the VIP 3 at practice, it has no problem hanging with my Fireball 100 and V30 2x12. Granted, our drummer is using an electronic kit, so we're not playing super loud, but I'd say playing with acoustic drums would be no problem for it.

Shask":1djpeeie said:
You don't really need any external units.

I don't "need" them... but I already "have" them.... so I want to "use" them.

:lol: :LOL:

sgill72":31zzpzjs said:
Love mine.

Nice.
I'm detecting some "Have a Drink On Me" by AC/DC.
Cool lick to test-out those crunchy tones.
:thumbsup:
I'm ordering the Katana head at the end of this week.

Mine will be here Thursday. Thinking about real world testing it at my gig this Friday night.

Mr. Willy":18bl31fe said:
Mine will be here Thursday. Thinking about real world testing it at my gig this Friday night.

You can set up all your tones and presets in one day?
I would need more time with it.

Back