Is the Katana THAT good?? Best clips??

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
errrrrl":2p27gcek said:
napalmdeath":2p27gcek said:
Currently, I have nothing but a 4x12 cab. I sold my Marshall head & had to move. The cab is in storage, I'm kinda starting over. I can really only go at-home low volume.

Really sorry to hear that brother, I hope things manage to turn around for you soon. As for the Katana, I did try one for shits and giggles once and it sounded ok to me for just about everything except metal stuff... I didn't care for it's distorted metal tones.

Not sure if it's the crack i'm smoking but to my ears the Peavey Vypyr rips the Katana a new one for metal tones (in the world of low cost modeling amps)... everything else I think the Katana might be better at doing... I like to mess around with all kinds of stuff but my primary sound is usually metal chuggery about 97% of the time spent playing guitar for the last 30 years. Pick wisely friend and best of luck! :rock:
Yeah it excels at Rock/Hard Rock for sure. It is a good pedal platform too but I would not use it for modern metal. I had one for a bit and liked it well enough. Just wasn't a keeper for me.

oldmtlhed":3vzjjiv0 said:
Mr. Willy":3vzjjiv0 said:
Mine will be here Thursday. Thinking about real world testing it at my gig this Friday night.

You can set up all your tones and presets in one day?
I would need more time with it.

I only need three basic sounds: clean(ish), crunch, and dirt. If it takes me longer than an hour messing with it to get a decent tone to work with, then I don't want it.

Mr. Willy":wx4j34gw said:
I only need three basic sounds: clean(ish), crunch, and dirt. If it takes me longer than an hour messing with it to get a decent tone to work with, then I don't want it.

Sounds like you are easy to please. You should be fine.
Me... I would spend days tweaking with all the effects it has.
Katana has a USB port. You can edit everything with your computer.
More options. More fun.

errrrrl":23faj40o said:
napalmdeath":23faj40o said:
Currently, I have nothing but a 4x12 cab. I sold my Marshall head & had to move. The cab is in storage, I'm kinda starting over. I can really only go at-home low volume.

Really sorry to hear that brother, I hope things manage to turn around for you soon. As for the Katana, I did try one for shits and giggles once and it sounded ok to me for just about everything except metal stuff... I didn't care for it's distorted metal tones.

Not sure if it's the crack i'm smoking but to my ears the Peavey Vypyr rips the Katana a new one for metal tones (in the world of low cost modeling amps)... everything else I think the Katana might be better at doing... I like to mess around with all kinds of stuff but my primary sound is usually metal chuggery about 97% of the time spent playing guitar for the last 30 years. Pick wisely friend and best of luck! :rock:

Agreed.

errrrrl":e2nqxd6l said:
Not sure if it's the crack i'm smoking but to my ears the Peavey Vypyr rips the Katana a new one for metal tones (in the world of low cost modeling amps)

I sincerely hope not. :scared:

I checked out the Vypyr 100 Pro. Peavey doesn't make a HEAD version.
The combo is $599. It has no "speaker out" connection on the back.
The foot controller for it is another $299.

I'm sticking with the Katana head.
I hope I can tweak and squeeze a decent modern metal sound out of it.
If I can get close... i'll be happy.
For what it costs, I'm not expecting it to sound like a wall of ENGL tube amps
cranked-up in an outdoor amphitheater on a cool autumn night!

:lol: :LOL:

I've gigged my katana 100 head all summer..It even got soaked at 2 outdoor shows..I have not had one issue with it..I even bought another for backup. If the band sounds good and your a good player no one cares what amp your playing..at least that's what I've learned.

I have the boss katana 100 head.
I have used it at practice in a full band setting.
It works really well ! It's the loudest solid state amp I've ever heard.
I also have one of my Bogners at the rehearsal
studio. Do I prefer my Bogner , absolutely!!
The boss is hard to beat for the money !!

oldmtlhed":1gdiseen said:
the Katana head.
I hope I can tweak and squeeze a decent modern metal sound out of it.
If I can get close... i'll be happy.
I slap a clean OD Boost in the front (Katana or an actual 808) and then a strategic Katana EQ in the loop- hi pass around 60, boost at 160, cut at 400...and BAM- METAL :rock:

Kidkramer71":2s3beh6t said:
The boss is hard to beat for the money !!

THAT's what I want to hear! :thumbsup:

Tonight... I shall place the order.
( Next week.... we shall see. )

Just testing the image posting from iMGUR.
Hopefully this works....

qfqFF

( Dusty OLD Cube-30 rig! ) :lol: :LOL:

Okay, that didn't work.

Maybe this will work....

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/qfqFF"><a href="//imgur.com/qfqFF">Guitar Gear</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Three strikes and YER OUT! :doh:

08a5eCXl.jpg

Holy crap.... it worked! \:D/

( Nice RIG huh. Dusty old Cube-30! )

Boss katana is in second place on my list after tube amps. I can't hear such a nice clean sound and Crunch in Katana. But I choose Boss because it is universal. To help you with everything from practice at home, to mini concerts. In addition it has very cool effects and excellent Distortion. Read the review of the Boss katana VS Tube amp https://stereodamage.com/boss-katana-amp-vs-tube-amp/

Back