It’s turning into a buyers market

• Thread starter Thread starter LP Freak
  • Start date Start date
I never really understood why low ball offers annoy people so much? I just click the X in the corner of the message and go about my day lol
I guess because it suggests you're an idiot or greedy, or it's annoying because you're clearly not going to accept half of what you're asking when reasonably priced. But IMO, some people are kinda idiots or greedy for asking what they do. I don't hesitate to "low-ball" and if it seems proper I'll include an explanation, like their price is double the average of the past 10 sales same condition :ROFLMAO:

I guess because it suggests you're an idiot or greedy, or it's annoying because you're clearly not going to accept half of what you're asking when reasonably priced. But IMO, some people are kinda idiots or greedy for asking what they do. I don't hesitate to "low-ball" and if it seems proper I'll include an explanation, like their price is double the average of the past 10 sales same condition :ROFLMAO:

i just laugh at both these greedy fucking bastards and these low balling sons of bitches, but what makes me laugh seems to really tender up others feelings :LOL:

It's a wild time to be buying or selling anything. New prices have gone up so much, that it justifies some of the used prices being so high, but most gear just doesn't seem to be selling regardless.

I've scored some killer deals the last year or two, all locally because it's hard to move anything decent in this area.

I get it but you never know what motivates people to sell things . I sometimes go in a little low depending on circumstances kinda like I'm a liquidator . People typically hate those guys but in the end they are helping people get rid of things they no longer want , need , or maybe can afford. You want be fair but there's all kinds of desperation for sale posts for everything everywhere.

It's a wild time to be buying or selling anything. New prices have gone up so much, that it justifies some of the used prices being so high, but most gear just doesn't seem to be selling regardless.

I've scored some killer deals the last year or two, all locally because it's hard to move anything decent in this area.
You are so right .

Lowballing is business. It is logic. Next time you want a piece of gear, before buying, low ball.
You were literally about to pay their price anyway. But if you hold out, you get it at discount.

I dont do this on rt, but with strangers, absolutely. You do it ten times, thats enough money for a new amp.

And lowballers on my stuff? Just ignore. I cant imagine it bothering me at all unless they came to my house and wasted a lot of my time first

The inverse of this is also true. I often put gear higher so that someone offers me something closer to a reasonable asking price and feel like they get deal. Lowballers are most of the reason things have higher asking prices.

Just remember, you dont have to sell at someone else's price.
You dont have to buy at someone else's price.
Just pretend you've got a pair and live your life

Last edited:
Another thing that amuses me is when you have something nice for sale, and someone asks if you will trade for a lot of mediocre gear.

The amount they paid for a collection of mediocre gear cumulatively could have bought them something nice.

This is simple shit

I’m not seeing any changes. The Music Zoo got in three new nitro aged Charvel’s…priced near $4,500-$5,000 each and all three sold within a few days. 🤷

The days of over priced gear really seems to be coming to an end. I watch as they just sit and rot in the classified

Yep, this. A few years ago I traded my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo for another amp that I ended up not liking. I wanted to replace it but the prices had shot through the roof after Ed's passing. Now prices for a 5150 combo have come waaaay down. Same amp with a 6505 badge goes for even less. After all these years I figured out what I want is a Peavey 5150 combo run through my Celestion loaded 4x12 for gain and a Fender Twin for clean.

Funny, the few companies that panicked last year and laid people off? They've been scrambling to re hire those positions.

I was at my orientation for my new job last week. They said 15 to 20 percent of the RNs quit during covid. There was already a shortage of RNs to begin with. This has made for a better market for RN pay in my area. Some positions are offering 20K for a sign-on bonus.

And it's not just nurses. A significant portion of all healthcare workers quit.

I’m not seeing any changes. The Music Zoo got in three new nitro aged Charvel’s…priced near $4,500-$5,000 each and all three sold within a few days. 🤷
Daaaaamn-- they could have bought a couple of mine for 2/3 the price !!

Well, yes, there are still people stupid enough to buy a parts guitar for that kind of money 😉

It definitely seems harder to move guitars and amps these days, both for retailers and for us guys trying to sell stuff on the forums. I know I've been doing my part to keep things moving though. I sold 3 guitars this year (at very fair prices) and turned around and bought a few new ones.

With respect to prices... with some retailers being over stocked and very motivated to move product right now, I would not make the assumption that the listed prices are what people are actually paying.

Well, yes, there are still people stupid enough to buy a parts guitar for that kind of money 😉
I think this is the biggest problem. Houses too—people seem happy to pay effin’ anything. Guess everyone’s rich…or in debt. 🤷 Hard to blame sellers!
They do now (excluding shipping)
Really, how can you see it? The last I checked it just showed the crossed out list price.

Really, how can you see it? The last I checked it just showed the crossed out list price.
I sold a Mark VII recently and the final offer price was shown in the transaction history on the amp page for the Mark VII.

Reverb should really post sale prices, but I guess it’s in their interest not too.
My point was more in relation to buying directly from dealers without going through reverb. Personally, I've never bought or sold a thing through that site.

It's pretty well known that people are amassing loads of debt and/or also dipping into 401Ks to maintain a standard of living. It is denial. The 'jobs reports' are a joke because many people are having to take on a second job to maintain. That is not a sign of a healthy economy. I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to stuff like this though. Let's see if the rally from the last week or so can hold. Hoping for a soft landing for sure.

Last edited:

Back