It's a sad day...

• Thread starter Thread starter DanTravis62
  • Start date Start date
Bro I gigged not one but two 5150 half stacks in parallel with a g major for effects and no boosts FOR YEARS and never had one fucking problem with the amps themselves. I think the parts problem was a worn out footswitch DIN connector on my 5150 II and that was it. Insane how bad quality is anymore with anything including tubes.

Bro I gigged not one but two 5150 half stacks in parallel with a g major for effects and no boosts FOR YEARS and never had one fucking problem with the amps themselves. I think the parts problem was a worn out footswitch DIN connector on my 5150 II and that was it. Insane how bad quality is anymore with anything including tubes.

I believe you - however, every single one I've owned has shit the bed in some form :dunno:

Including a block letter that caught fire in like 2007 or 2008

It sucks because I DO like them, this shit just irritates the fuck out of me

I've had problems with boogies too - especially the road king and roadster series and that ridiculous channel switch relay

It's just annoying because I've never had a big issue with any other brand of amp, and everyone always talks about how their 5150s are brick shithouses and apparently I am not allowed to experience this by the peavey gods

....For every who called me out for saying 5150s are unreliable in the 1992 nad post

WHAT DO YOU KNOW MY BRAND NEW 1992 THAT IVE HAD FOR 2 MONTHS HAS BLOWN THROUGH HALF A DOZEN FUSES AND A QUAD OF TUBES

It's still under warranty unless I crack the hood open, so it's headed back to sender

Please feel free to inform me how my brand new amplifier blowing fuses and tubes constantly is some kind of user error while I pack this up, to ship it back to AMS, and pray to Crom the replacement they send isn't a great sounding but poorly built piece of shit like every 5150 I've ever owned 🤣

At least the white/gray loom with all the wires on it didn't catch on fire this time.

Pics related

View attachment 350225
View attachment 350228
Crom laughs at you on his mountain….

I believe you - however, every single one I've owned has shit the bed in some form :dunno:

Including a block letter that caught fire in like 2007 or 2008

It sucks because I DO like them, this shit just irritates the fuck out of me

I've had problems with boogies too - especially the road king and roadster series and that ridiculous channel switch relay

It's just annoying because I've never had a big issue with any other brand of amp, and everyone always talks about how their 5150s are brick shithouses and apparently I am not allowed to experience this by the peavey gods
I feel for you as I have dealt with amp issues. But goddamn it is a bit funny that you had an amp catch fire. I can't imagine how pissed I would be If my amp catches on fire...I mean, I guess I could take it as a compliment that my playing was on fire.

Seriously, though. You should be golden for the replacement. No one could have that much bad luck

AMS is always good to me. I’m sure they will sort it out

Same, they've always been straight up with me as well.

A few years back I got a really awful Les Paul Supreme from them; then an even worse replacement (this was during gibsons really dark period for QC) and they honestly did everything they could to take care of me. There's a reason I went through them and not guitar center, sweetwater, etc.

I feel for you as I have dealt with amp issues. But goddamn it is a bit funny that you had an amp catch fire. I can't imagine how pissed I would be If my amp catches on fire...I mean, I guess I could take it as a compliment that my playing was on fire.

Seriously, though. You should be golden for the replacement. No one could have that much bad luck

That's what is absolutely infuriating. Apparently everyone else's 5150s are just like these monolithic stonehenge monsters that never die, and EVERY GOD DAMN ONE I OWN shits the bed.

A few years back I got a really awful Les Paul Supreme from them; then an even worse replacement (this was during gibsons really dark period for QC) and they honestly did everything they could to take care of me. There's a reason I went through them and not guitar center, sweetwater, etc.

That's what is absolutely infuriating. Apparently everyone else's 5150s are just like these monolithic stonehenge monsters that never die, and EVERY GOD DAMN ONE I OWN shits the bed.
Perhaps poker's not your game.

Dan, sorry for your troubles. I'd be pissed too...esp since EVERY DAMN ONE YOU'VE OWNED has shit the bed from what you've said. I wanted a 5150 in the worst way when they came out. Then, a few yrs after we played a club that had one as backline...couldn't wait to plug in...and it sounded like absolute shit and cut out halfway through the first set.
Back to my mini rack ADA/DIgitech/Mosvalve for me.
I've heard them live enough times to like what I hear but after my experience with one, and another friend who gigs with one but by the end of the weekend his backup is up there lol, I wouldn't touch one.

Dan, sorry for your troubles. I'd be pissed too...esp since EVERY DAMN ONE YOU'VE OWNED has shit the bed from what you've said. I wanted a 5150 in the worst way when they came out. Then, a few yrs after we played a club that had one as backline...couldn't wait to plug in...and it sounded like absolute shit and cut out halfway through the first set.
Back to my mini rack ADA/DIgitech/Mosvalve for me.
I've heard them live enough times to like what I hear but after my experience with one, and another friend who gigs with one but by the end of the weekend his backup is up there lol, I wouldn't touch one.

Every few years, i get talked into it again.

"It'll be different this time, apparently everyone else on the planet's 5150 is this immortal juggernaut that never dies"

Then i get one

Then it dies

And then I lose money fixing it and selling it at a huge loss because I can't stand to look at it anymore

Every few years, i get talked into it again.

"It'll be different this time, apparently everyone else on the planet's 5150 is this immortal juggernaut that never dies"

Then i get one

Then it dies

And then I lose money fixing it and selling it at a huge loss because I can't stand to look at it anymore
Yeah, I do the same damn things over and over expecting a different result but it NEVER HAPPENS.
There's a saying that it's the definition of insanity. Lol

Have the opposite experience with Engl.
Slagged by alot of people for their build quality, but worked great for me

Have the opposite experience with Engl.
Slagged by alot of people for their build quality, but worked great for me

I've owned a couple for short periods of time and didn't have problems

But then someone paid me to work on their powerball

And now that I've seen the inside of one, I would only own one of the less complex models like an artist or something

Where I grew up Peaveys was for country music. Maybe you're using it wrong. :LOL:

I've owned a couple for short periods of time and didn't have problems

But then someone paid me to work on their powerball

And now that I've seen the inside of one, I would only own one of the less complex models like an artist or something
Bro it does not matter what is inside of the amps. Amp value these days are if some fucking geeks hype them up and convince everyone else they are great, so they can resell them for profit.

Bro it does not matter what is inside of the amps. Amp value these days are if some fucking geeks hype them up and convince everyone else they are great, so they can resell them for profit.

Errr yes that's true

Back