James Hetfield and his Marshall’s used on Black Album to restore lost frequencies

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
I find some of the tracks sound more like a Mark IV to me, so it's cool to see it actually got used on the album, and not just the demo like I previously thought. As far as the Marshall... I think it's more in the 2k range that you hear it. It's those upper mids that also get scooped out a bit when you bring the 750 way down like that. They could have remedied that by bringing the 2200 up a little but it wouldn't have been quite as natural sounding I think??
Definitely mark iv wss used too

Mark IV's are used a lot by Metallica. Mike B confirmed Hetfield's 2C++ has a Mark IV power transformer. :2thumbsup:

I'd love to find a mint Mark IV, but I refuse to pay these stupid prices they fetch.
When I saw them as a kid they both had mark 4s on 1992 tour

Only Kirk used a Mark IV live. James used IIC+ throughout TBA tour.
I see hetfield with a mark iv once for sure live. I’ll post the tour gear list . Hetfield used mark ivs a lot even on black album
And justice tour

I see hetfield with a mark iv once for sure live
I’ve never seen James’s rig with a Mark IV. All the rig pics from TBA tour I’ve seen has the IIC+. Please post if you have!

I see hetfield with a mark iv once for sure live. I’ll post the tour gear list . Hetfield used mark ivs a lot even on black album
And justice tour
Ehm, Mark IV didn’t even exist on the Justice tour.

And justice tour
James Damaged Justice tour rig:
0A103D56-B5A8-4E6A-A5B2-0AAAA3A98BC8.jpeg
293B09C2-F3B2-48AE-AA67-E6CB298F7062.jpeg

James’s TBA tour rig:

C217CAE9-E4A1-4530-B30B-D238FD3912EE.jpeg

This shot can be seen at 1:10:50 of the "Metallica: A Year And A Half In The Life" DVD when they're moving gear out of the studio.

AXylLa7.png

This doesn't mean that every other Mark wasn't in the studio as well (they almost all surely were), or that the Mark IV was even used at all, but there was definitely one in the studio at the time.

I meant San Diego video . I was thinking Seattle . So I was wrong but San Diego is mark 4
That doesn’t make any sense though. This backstage video is from Holland, December 1992. Around the 17.20 mark you can clearly see the IIC+ head. Sounds unlikely that he started the tour with the IIC+ head, switched to the Mark IV early in 1992, switched back the IIC+ later the same year and kept the IIC+ to when they hit Japan in 1993, where the pic I posted earlier is from.

Early on in the tour, it still has the red Metallica logo over the Mesa/Boogie logo:
8D25FAD9-E31D-4D8D-A467-9A2BEBDC2C41.jpeg

December 1992:
8853A93B-E507-4A5F-A764-1B5526E69834.jpeg

March 1993:
1AEC4F12-03CD-4171-822E-69E6CF166476.jpeg

Last edited:
That doesn’t make any sense though. This backstage video is from Holland, December 1992. Around the 17.20 mark you can clearly see the IIC+ head. Sounds unlikely that he started the tour with the IIC+ head, switched to the Mark IV early in 1992, switched back the IIC+ later the same year and kept the IIC+ to when they hit Japan in 1993, where the pic I posted earlier is from.

Everytime I saw them it was mark iv or dusk rectifiers through Marshall . Even James uses a rectifier once . I was right in front of .

Everytime I saw them it was mark iv or dusk rectifiers through Marshall . Even James uses a rectifier once . I was right in front of .
How could you see the amps? The amps were hidden under the stage on TBA tour.

Dude I have a page just like above scout hetfield saying he used mark 4 then . Let me find it and I’ll post it . He tells Guitar World . Give me time to get home snd find it .
Have you found that article yet?

I love the Mark IV and I’ve really been trying to find some evidence that Hetfield used it to a greater extent. All I’ve found (so far) is that he used it on the demos for TBA. I’ve never seen it on any pics of his live rig.
I’ve never seen any interview where he talks about Mark IV. When talking about what he used for TBA he always says the IIC++. He says he used other amps for “texture”, so maybe the Mark IV is in there, but I haven’t seen him specifically mention it. The only other amp that I’ve seen Hetfield actually mention for TBA is the ADA MP-1 preamp.

The Mark IV was absolutely present in the studio. And in the A year and a half in the life of Metallica outtake videos from TBA box he can be seen tracking The Unforgiven with the Mark IV. But he has also said in interviews that he tried a bunch of amps, but ended up with the same old C++ that he used on previous albums. So it could very well be one of the amps he tried out but didn’t use. Or as I mentioned earlier, for texture.

My guess is that the Mark IV in the studio is Kirk’s. He used Mark IV for the entire TBA tour.

The Guitar World article you posted sounds more like guesses than facts. And that’s actually what it says as well. “Here we can cover only about 60% of what went into crafting Hetfield’s sound, and even then we have to speculate”

Per Bob Rock they didn’t use the B&B/Aphex EQF-2 parametric that they used on Puppets and Justice, but instead used the ADA MQ-1 for tone shaping.
The “Asshole” Marshall is not a JCM 800 etc. So I wouldn’t take that article as facts.

I’d love to see that article where he talks about the Mark IV.

Last edited:
Ross Halfin's 'Black Album in Black and White' book is now out, I wonder if there are any good pics in there.

Mark IV's are used a lot by Metallica. Mike B confirmed Hetfield's 2C++ has a Mark IV power transformer. :2thumbsup:

I'd love to find a mint Mark IV, but I refuse to pay these stupid prices they fetch.
Was just telling a friend how I got my last mark iv for $850 from someone on here…

Should have just kept that thing but had too many marks at the time

Have you found that article yet?

I love the Mark IV and I’ve really been trying to find some evidence that Hetfield used it to a greater extent. All I’ve found (so far) is that he used it on the demos for TBA. I’ve never seen it on any pics of his live rig.
I’ve never seen any interview where he talks about Mark IV. When talking about what he used for TBA he always says the IIC++. He says he used other amps for “texture”, so maybe the Mark IV is in there, but I haven’t seen him specifically mention it. The only other amp that I’ve seen Hetfield actually mention for TBA is the ADA MP-1 preamp.

The Mark IV was absolutely present in the studio. And in the A year and a half in the life of Metallica outtake videos from TBA box he can be seen tracking The Unforgiven with the Mark IV. But he has also said in interviews that he tried a bunch of amps, but ended up with the same old C++ that he used on previous albums. So it could very well be one of the amps he tried out but didn’t use. Or as I mentioned earlier, for texture.

My guess is that the Mark IV in the studio is Kirk’s. He used Mark IV for the entire TBA tour.

The Guitar World article you posted sounds more like guesses than facts. And that’s actually what it says as well. “Here we can cover only about 60% of what went into crafting Hetfield’s sound, and even then we have to speculate”

Per Bob Rock they didn’t use the B&B/Aphex EQF-2 parametric that they used on Puppets and Justice, but instead used the ADA MQ-1 for tone shaping.
The “Asshole” Marshall is not a JCM 800 etc. So I wouldn’t take that article as facts.

I’d love to see that article where he talks about the Mark IV.
Still looking I will . It’s here somewhere . I have 5 piles it’s an issue with rigs like 15
E8930DA5-9CF3-4799-BBA5-985E3C6385DC.jpeg

Back