Joined a RATT tribute… which guitar??

• Thread starter Thread starter JerEvil
  • Start date Start date
Obvious answer is to get both and play the one you like the most. Keep one in standard and one in Drop D.

So I’m going to be the “Warren” in a RATT tribute. Looking to grab one of these for sure. If it actually gets “out of the cellar” and some shows get booked, then I’ll get another for a backup.

I believe these are MIM, so what upgrades are needed? Are the Floyd’s on these garbage?

Now… both can be had for ok’ish pricing used. I’m leaning toward the blood splatter.

Thoughts?
My MIM snakeskin has a pingy floyd when the trem arm is in, the spacer for the locking nut fell out, and I had a lifted skunk stripe I needed to get glued back. It plays great and sounds great but I don't know how this passed inspection. God knows it cost enough. But I'd go for either. I'd also make sure i played some songs off of Reach for the Sky. That album cooked.

Finally, Warren is in my Top 5. That's not an easy gig. He's such a unique player in the context of that band. Don't f-ck it up or I'm coming for ya with a nasty unsupportive comment!

I really do g the blood splatter too, and I’ll end up with both if this takes off.

I’m way stoked for it. Should be a lot of fun for sure.

This is what we’re going to start with. First rehearsal is on about 2 weeks.

Dance

Slip of the Lip

Body Talk

I Want a Woman

Lovin You's a Dirty Job

Round and Round

Lay it Down

You're in Love

Wanted Man

Way Cool Jr

Back for More

We’re going to end up doing almost everything from Out of the Cellar for sure.

Missed this. I approve this set list but one piece of advice I would give you is to really practice Warren's swing feel. It's like he lags behind the rythm with these big bends and blues licks but then he catches up with these awesome runs and bigger stretches before doing the legato vibrato thing he ripped off of Lynch. He has 4 or 5 signature licks he repeats a lot so if you can't learn the solo exactly ( they are tricky learning by ear because his timing and note selection at times) make sure you do it in the style of his repertoire of licks and it will work. He's such a good player, very tough for anyone to replicate but I think you can do it if you wood shed!

I have a recto custom guitars snakeskin going up for trade

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4377.jpeg
    IMG_4377.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 31
I was a huge Ratt fan in high school and still think their impact is overrated, especially the early stuff.

You guys should do "Sweet Cheater" "I'm Insane", and "You think You're Tough". Dumb question, are you going to dress up like them and do the stage moves, etc. That would be badass to have a full 80s experience.
We will do a proper RATT show. All my tributes do that. I’m not a fan of tributes that don’t do the look.

My MIM snakeskin has a pingy floyd when the trem arm is in, the spacer for the locking nut fell out, and I had a lifted skunk stripe I needed to get glued back. It plays great and sounds great but I don't know how this passed inspection. God knows it cost enough. But I'd go for either. I'd also make sure i played some songs off of Reach for the Sky. That album cooked.

Finally, Warren is in my Top 5. That's not an easy gig. He's such a unique player in the context of that band. Don't f-ck it up or I'm coming for ya with a nasty unsupportive comment!
Missed this. I approve this set list but one piece of advice I would give you is to really practice Warren's swing feel. It's like he lags behind the rythm with these big bends and blues licks but then he catches up with these awesome runs and bigger stretches before doing the legato vibrato thing he ripped off of Lynch. He has 4 or 5 signature licks he repeats a lot so if you can't learn the solo exactly ( they are tricky learning by ear because his timing and note selection at times) make sure you do it in the style of his repertoire of licks and it will work. He's such a good player, very tough for anyone to replicate but I think you can do it if you wood shed!
To both of you, I’ll say I’m definitely most stoked for the challenge of this. Warren is SUCH a cool player that I had to say yes when asked.

I’m going to do my best to not only play shit as accurately as I can but yeah, also get the right feel for his playing.

What rig?

Wasn't there a famous Rig Talk quote something like "I can't Lay It Down on a fucking toaster!".

I find MIM Charvels to be kind of hit or miss (the old USA pro mods were just better in quality I’ve found). It’s not the Floyd 1000 that bothers me so much, but overall quality feel and sometimes fretwork. With a good setup though these should be totally fine.

As for looks, I’ve had both of these in the USA models, and while I much prefer Warren’s original and actual snakeskin, the painted look in hand of the snakeskin signature model never really grabbed me. So personally I’d go blood splatter in this instance.

Ratt is such a great band, my favorite out of the 80’s hard rock scene, sounds like an awesome gig!

Are you a fan of matte finishes? Both the MIM and USA are snakeskin matte.

I remember Warren said he picked the matte for the snakeskin models because he thought it looked more natural than gloss. I agree with him, I had a non-Warren Charvel yellow snakeskin that Dan Lawrence did a great job on, but in person the gloss finish did make it a little more "fake" looking IMO.

I'm not personally a matte finish person in most cases though, but seems like a lot of people are these days. And no knock on people who have the Warren snakeskin guitar and love it, I get the argument the blood splatter is a little cheesy but it fits the era, I don't think there's really a wrong answer here. Warren had some of the coolest guitars back in the day.

They don't make that one in a MIM pro mod, though I've always thought they would sell well if they did. Crossed Swords is definitely my fave.

If they ever did this, I'd be first in line. As long as the graphic represented true to the original. IF they were to ever do this, I figure it would probably be some kind of "photo" type graphic which would be cool with me. But, I've seen some pretty cheesy copies out there. Way back when, I had a GMW Guitarworks "Crossed Swords" painted by Dan Lawrence that was spot on to the original. I wish I still had it.

snakeskin,

demartini was in my top 3 as a teenager, still love it. played a LOT of ratt back, but so tired of the voice nowadays

would love to hear your band though 🤟

I am… what I’m most not a fan of is how different the colors are on the MIM and his actual snakeskin…

I may get the splatter first then splurge on one of the USA’s of the gigs pick up.

Who am I kidding… I’ll get a USA “just cuz!” lol. Likely the crossed swords though.

Back