Let's Just Put This Right Out There And Talk About It..

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben Waylin
  • Start date Start date
I’d guess the slight variation in tone song to song could have been attributed to this, the tone is just a little spongier in a Winston filled room than Marb reds which have crisper highs
We were talking about how smoke filled rooms attenuated highs the other day.

WTF is this ?

9XIwhZY.jpg

tXkJJpN.jpg
Looks like the Greatest Rock Guitarist that ever lived to me :)

Everyone talks about the tone on his hands . But damn his tone sure changed when he was done with Marshall’s and switch to SLO and 5150

Notice there is a rip only in the left top corner on the back of the head, I really gotta believe if Eddie though that rip would sound better on the bottom left corner, the fucking left corner would have the gash
Actually I wonder why Ed just didn't remove the tolex completely, that and the combo of stripped cabs...brown sound would have been even more brown. Clearly he missed that opportunity to improve his tone even more.

Probably the master volume that jose installed, then removed and put back to stock for eddie.
I mean I get that . Idk . That don’t make my much sense . I’d say Jose was the secret to Eddie’s amp tone and he made up a lot of bullshit about he did it . I coujd see Ed doing that for sure . Not saying he did . Saying I think would

I mean I get that . Idk . That don’t make my much sense . I’d say Jose was the secret to Eddie’s amp tone and he made up a lot of bullshit about he did it . I coujd see Ed doing that for sure . Not saying he did . Saying I think would

I'm pretty sure (at least from all the interviews with people who were there) that Jose was like the best amp tech available, and EVH availed himself of him.

Tried a master volume, didn't like it, so jose took it out. Jose taught him how to set up his amp with the dimmer switch and blah blah.

The "extra super special secret" is a great marshall that's got great tubes and is running at 83 or whatever the fuck it was - just a superlead/plexi circuit matched to a great player.

People don't want to hear that. They want there to be a magic secret that makes their garbage boomer playing sound like EVH. I honestly think most of what they think is the Legendary Brown Sound (trademark) is just a superlead and greenbacks and a player playing alot of major sounding chromatic passing tones over blues with a 6/8 swing.

People overlook the DLR factor. DLR drove EVH nuts with his antics so it made Eddie take out his aggressions on the guitar. When SH joined, the VH camp was all smiles for a long time and EVH’s playing was not nearly as aggressive.

HNNGGG EVH, I just WISH I could unlock that MAGIC from 45 years ago...ohhh that CHEW, THAT CHIRP, THAT SIZZLE GOD I AM SO HARD RIGHT NOW. That's when tones were tones and men were real men. I wish Eddie would manhandle me, it's 5150 time when I leave my wife and kids to be with Eddie in heaven, see you all on the other side yeeeahhhhhhh
1727802094892.png

People overlook the DLR factor. DLR drove EVH nuts with his antics so it made Eddie take out his aggressions on the guitar. When SH joined, the VH camp was all smiles for a long time and EVH’s playing was not nearly as aggressive.

49FHyev.jpg

copious amounts of alcohol was also a contributing factor.

HNNGGG EVH, I just WISH I could unlock that MAGIC from 45 years ago...ohhh that CHEW, THAT CHIRP, THAT SIZZLE GOD I AM SO HARD RIGHT NOW. That's when tones were tones and men were real men. I wish Eddie would manhandle me, it's 5150 time when I leave my wife and kids to be with Eddie in heaven, see you all on the other side yeeeahhhhhhh
1000012571.jpg

LISTEN UP LIBRAL IVE GOT A STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT AND I NEED CASH NOW

BECAUSE BACK IN 86 I WAS BOTTOMING FOR MICHAEL ANTHONY AMD EVH PUT HIS CIG OUT ON MY ROSE BUDDING ANUS

Eddie was the greatest thing to happen to electric guitar ... but he was also the worst thing to ever happen

They want there to be a magic secret that makes their garbage boomer playing sound like EVH. I honestly think most of what they think is the Legendary Brown Sound (trademark) is just a superlead and greenbacks and a player playing alot of major sounding chromatic passing tones over blues with a 6/8 swing.
I used to think there was some sort of secret sauce because the amps had been around for so long yet nobody else sounded like that. But once I found (i.e. built) the right Marshall my garbage boomer playing went to another level. No longer hot garbage.

At this point I don’t really care what he actually used…at least as far as influencing what I use. I found what I want/need. I still get sucked into talking about it tho.

I used to think there was some sort of secret sauce because the amps had been around for so long yet nobody else sounded like that. But once I found (i.e. built) the right Marshall my garbage boomer playing went to another level. No longer hot garbage.

At this point I don’t really care what he actually used…at least as far as influencing what I use. I found what I want/need. I still get sucked into talking about it tho.
That's where I am at now.

I've done all the experimentation at this point, satisfied all my curiosity with alternate setups and love the tones I get and to my ears they are as close as I ever hoped to get and shit load of fun to play as it's a very cool tone.

It's still fun to discuss about the possibilities....as we used to say on Metro.....the sum of all the parts into a Marshall Plexi or Superlead ran the ways he ran them will get the tone.......so I understand it might be a letdown to those that insist on a secret part or parts. I think all the info is out there in 2024. If you use Occams razor with the history of 12301 being a house amp at the Rose Palace, chances are the knob is master volume. Now what master and installed by who is where ya have to do your own experiments to confirm or deny all the urban legends. Some say Jose..........

Last edited:

Back