Let's Just Put This Right Out There And Talk About It..

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben Waylin
  • Start date Start date
I’d guess the slight variation in tone song to song could have been attributed to this, the tone is just a little spongier in a Winston filled room than Marb reds which have crisper highs
Both better than that Newport sound. Too cold and harsh.

I'm pretty sure (at least from all the interviews with people who were there) that Jose was like the best amp tech available, and EVH availed himself of him.

Tried a master volume, didn't like it, so jose took it out. Jose taught him how to set up his amp with the dimmer switch and blah blah.

The "extra super special secret" is a great marshall that's got great tubes and is running at 83 or whatever the fuck it was - just a superlead/plexi circuit matched to a great player.

People don't want to hear that. They want there to be a magic secret that makes their garbage boomer playing sound like EVH. I honestly think most of what they think is the Legendary Brown Sound (trademark) is just a superlead and greenbacks and a player playing alot of major sounding chromatic passing tones over blues with a 6/8 swing.
The magic secret is the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull…only swing in his playing is from being drunk.

The magic secret is the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull…only swing in his playing is from being drunk.

I mean he was definitely drunk but that isn't where the swing comes from, that's where the sloppy left hand shit and probably some of the live "fire" and energy come from

Both better than that Newport sound. Too cold and harsh.
0A2A5AA9-7B6D-451E-9F79-CFDD37065FC9.jpeg

I mean he was definitely drunk but that isn't where the swing comes from, that's where the sloppy left hand shit and probably some of the live "fire" and energy come from
and this magic “swing”. 😄

Seriously why isnt there a sticky “All things Van Halen” thread and the peeps who want to post in it do so?

That would keep everyone from rolling over every time a new VH thread pops up. Problem solved.

And the VH nerds (me included) are happy

Seriously why isnt there a sticky “All things Van Halen” thread and the peeps who want to post in it do so?

That would keep everyone from rolling over every time a new VH thread pops up. Problem solved.

And the VH nerds (me included) are happy

We've brought it up quite a few times 🤷

I would like to try one of the pedal clones, I guess it’s supposed to act like a very slight compressor from what I read
I like mine. However, I use it out in front of the Bogner Helios(100w) when I’ve got it running in 70s mode, with not too much preamp gain. It feels like the “effect” of the Solodallas goes away the higher the preamp gain in the amp gets.
jmho

Alex Lifeson is an amazing guitarist but I don't want to listen to the shrieking hyrax fronting that band neither. Also, I don't know anyone around here who gets gigs doing VH or hair rock covers so kinda glad I took a different road.
Rush rules in every way . Including the vocals

Back