• Thread starter Thread starter Zado
  • Start date Start date

Your live rig

• Tube amp

• Digital rig, but I have a great amp at home

• Digital, but I don't play analog

• Not gigging atm

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tube amps… Current live set up for the past 2 years, and putting together a fly rig based around the IR-X. I’m not a tweaker, set it and forget it works for me. The digital thing doesn’t do it for me.View attachment 313389
What setup are you doing with your IR-X? I just got a Fender FR-12 and using it right now with my IR-X but haven't giggied or even had a practice with it yet. I may get a second FR-12 down the road. Still debating. I'm thinking about a Fractal FM3 too, we'll see.

I get a great tone with my Orange Super Crush 100, I really do. The crunch channel is great but the IR-X sound pretty killer into the effects loop.

A local guy is the primary member of a couple bands around town. He used to be a touring pro and everytime I see him play, he has never had anything more than a Line 6 Spider, Mooer tiny floor thing, or something similar. Still sounds good. Not great but good enough.

A local guy is the primary member of a couple bands around town. He used to be a touring pro and everytime I see him play, he has never had anything more than a Line 6 Spider, Mooer tiny floor thing, or something similar. Still sounds good. Not great but good enough.
Billy Morris?

Reactions: fek
I saw a DIO tribute band a few weeks ago and was talking with one of the guitarists and he is using an SD 170 power amp with some type of modeller and sounded awesome!

I do love that classic setup with a 4x12 and a great tube head. Just too much for someone l8ke me these days. I think it is great that we have more options for weight, tones, etc. Like others have said, it is probably not a better tone but it is close.

I currently have two setups: A bigger board with a bunch of stomp boxes into a Simplifier DLX and a Kemper Player for smaller gigs. I haven't owned a tube amp in 10 years, however, there's nothing like a real amp. I've been thinking about getting another, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a tube or fuse blow during a gig? That is something I've always worried about but wondered if that is even a common thing?

I've been touring and gigging for 26 years now, and have never had a tube or fuse blow at a gig.

I have had a tube blow in a recording studio, however.

I've been touring and gigging for 26 years now, and have never had a tube or fuse blow at a gig.

I have had a tube blow in a recording studio, however.
I had one pre tube go bad, at the end of a set back in 2008 with a Vintage Modern. Of course, it was a JJ. This was back before I learned about tubes, and tube rolling. Ran home and pulled a tube out of another Marshall I had, and was good the rest of the way.
No other issues during a gig, or even a rehearsal. But I have had modern production tubes fail at home. No vintage stuff has ever failed me; and I've never bought NOS stuff only used/tested strong.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a tube or fuse blow during a gig? That is something I've always worried about but wondered if that is even a common thing?
I have, twice. Once in the studio around ‘89 in my 2204 JMP. Filled the live room up with smoke. GE6550
A short time later blew another GE6550 at a gig. Was using my load box rig and just swapped the amp I was using for the power section and played the rest of the gig.
Early 90’s the GE6550’s were getting to the bottom of the barrel and were not very trustworthy.
First rig was a Yamaha solid state amp. Spunded good but would get thru first set then no sound. Had a crack in the pcb I was told. Would love to find another of those.

I had one pre tube go bad, at the end of a set back in 2008 with a Vintage Modern. Of course, it was a JJ. This was back before I learned about tubes, and tube rolling. Ran home and pulled a tube out of another Marshall I had, and was good the rest of the way.
No other issues during a gig, or even a rehearsal. But I have had modern production tubes fail at home. No vintage stuff has ever failed me; and I've never bought NOS stuff only used/tested strong.

I was hip to the NOS/Vintage tube thing pretty early on, so I've just never had problems, I guess.

I hear all these horror stories, but as long as I've used good glass and biased right i haven't had any issues

What setup are you doing with your IR-X? I just got a Fender FR-12 and using it right now with my IR-X but haven't giggied or even had a practice with it yet. I may get a second FR-12 down the road. Still debating. I'm thinking about a Fractal FM3 too, we'll see.

I get a great tone with my Orange Super Crush 100, I really do. The crunch channel is great but the IR-X sound pretty killer into the effects loop.
Sorry for the delay, signal chain on pedal board ~ Gtr > tuner > CH-1 > input IR-X / IR-X send > DD-3 > RV-3 > ( Stereo RV-3 I,m using as my splitter) One side > IR-X return > the other to effects loop return to rented back line, balanced out to the FOH. This is the way I prefer to run this, it fits on a 17x12.5 board and is easy to travel with on a plane. You can also just use FOH to wedges or in ears. The IR-X for me sounds great to my ears, Im all about set it and forget it.

Sorry for the delay, signal chain on pedal board ~ Gtr > tuner > CH-1 > input IR-X / IR-X send > DD-3 > RV-3 > ( Stereo RV-3 I,m using as my splitter) One side > IR-X return > the other to effects loop return to rented back line, balanced out to the FOH. This is the way I prefer to run this, it fits on a 17x12.5 board and is easy to travel with on a plane. You can also just use FOH to wedges or in ears. The IR-X for me sounds great to my ears, Im all about set it and forget it.
No problem and thanks!

I've used mine with cable splitter to return of two Orange Super Crush 100s and split to one Super Crush and into the input of the Fender FR-12. I'm still wondering if I'm better off with using the IR-X into FR cabs or a power amp and speaker cab?

It really sounds great either way. I'm thinking about getting an Orange Pedal Baby instead of using an amp but I'll have to see.

No problem and thanks!

I've used mine with cable splitter to return of two Orange Super Crush 100s and split to one Super Crush and into the input of the Fender FR-12. I'm still wondering if I'm better off with using the IR-X into FR cabs or a power amp and speaker cab?

It really sounds great either way. I'm thinking about getting an Orange Pedal Baby instead of using an amp but I'll have to see.
Other options? SD power stage 100, synergy 50/50 with some 1x12 cubes???

The Class D stuff sounds fine at lower volumes and in certain genres. If you don’t have to compete with a hard hitting drummer, it’ll generally fair quite well. Add a drummer with balls to the mix and it starts falling apart.

It’s that exact threshold that made me say “I’ll only use tubes live” because once you start looking into power options greater than a PS170, you’re getting into tube amp territory in costs, as well as generally adding some extra step/equipment to plug into. Seems 700 watts of Class D is the entry point of competing with a 100 watt tube amp and at that point, you’re already in a 2-space rack unit you’re dragging around for something you most likely see as a concession to begin with by using modeling.

Other options? SD power stage 100, synergy 50/50 with some 1x12 cubes???
It's funny, I'm in this middle area right now, lol.

I have a 1x12 Friedman cab, Orange 100 watt combo, Orange 100 watt head, and now the Fender FR-12.

So my thought is I could get another FR-12, another 1x12 cab, another Orange combo, etc., lol. The Friedman IR-X sound killer thru the effects loop return of the Orange combo so a part of me is like "why get a pedal baby or another FRFR or cab, when I could just run two Orange combos in stereo?"

If I were playing live, I would bust out my OD100 Classic Plus. It gives me an awesome clean and a big, round, Marshall dirty tone.

I try to approach it as logically as possible, asking myself questions like... Will anyone care? Do I care? Will it all sound shit anyway once pumped through a PA? What is least likely to cause problems? etc etc

I've found overtime that no one gives a shit what you use as they aren't at a show to investigate the nuances of guitar gear. So it falls to what I want personally.

I hate having pedals on stage (I move around alot), so the AxeFX dealing with all that helps. MIDI patch changing is a game changer if running with clicks. If I'm on the other side of the stage and it's time for a solo, the patch change happens automatically. However, I like air pushing on stage, so I have a power amp and small cab on stage behind me with the output from the AxeFX minus Cab Sim.

yes, but only once. Bad\dirty power at a venue, smoked the fuses in amp. Didn't have a spare, borrowed a head from another band. That was before I had a direct option. Now you could literally throw an IR loader after a preamp style OD and be good for the show. Been thinking about getting a Tonex One just for that reason too.

Yes. I blew a fuse right before a label showcase. Thankfully I always carry spare tubes and fuses. Granted, that was one show in the 30 years that I've been gigging.

I'm typically Fractal for anything I leave the house for, whether rehearsal or gigs. I like the consistency, and at this point I'm as proficient at dialing it in as I am with my conventional amps. If I want amp-in-the-room I just disable cab modelling and plug into a power amp and 4x12. A lot depends on the venue, their backline (if any), and things like that.

Back