• Thread starter Thread starter Zado
  • Start date Start date

Your live rig

• Tube amp

• Digital rig, but I have a great amp at home

• Digital, but I don't play analog

• Not gigging atm

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm typically Fractal for anything I leave the house for, whether rehearsal or gigs. I like the consistency, and at this point I'm as proficient at dialing it in as I am with my conventional amps. If I want amp-in-the-room I just disable cab modelling and plug into a power amp and 4x12. A lot depends on the venue, their backline (if any), and things like that.
That is why I'm thinking about getting an FM3. I can do cab modelling if I'm feeling it or go into a power amp and cab, etc. Many options for sure.

I try to approach it as logically as possible, asking myself questions like... Will anyone care? Do I care? Will it all sound shit anyway once pumped through a PA? What is least likely to cause problems? etc etc

I've found overtime that no one gives a shit what you use as they aren't at a show to investigate the nuances of guitar gear. So it falls to what I want personally.

I hate having pedals on stage (I move around alot), so the AxeFX dealing with all that helps. MIDI patch changing is a game changer if running with clicks. If I'm on the other side of the stage and it's time for a solo, the patch change happens automatically. However, I like air pushing on stage, so I have a power amp and small cab on stage behind me with the output from the AxeFX minus Cab Sim.

Sometimes I fantasize about having all the patch changes automated via MIDI, I’m generally singing while playing and it’d be such a relief, but I’m too in love with the aspect of live shows that drive tempos faster/slower depending on the mood that particular gig and I can’t see myself ever willingly playing to a click live.

last few years have been a Bogner Atma, or a 3534 into a pair of cubes. I’m now going a molder into a Quilter, into a Mesa 2-12. Easier and more consistant tone.

If and when I play out again I’ll likely take a head and 4x12. I am currently working on a fly rig ( not that I’ll ever need it at my age) with the Tonex and a Blackstar Amped1 running into whatever cab is available. Running a tuner, Gate and OD of the day into the Tonex.

If I were to ever play out again I'd just take a head and single 4x12 cab. At home I've had a sound treated cab booth for many years and some killer amps (see avatar) but man, once I got comfy with the AXE III I've mostly reached for that, especially when recording tunes. I just think you can't beat the ease/simplicity of an amp+cab and a couple pedals for live use -- it's been a proven winner for ages (sounds great, easy to set up and looks classic).

Sometimes I fantasize about having all the patch changes automated via MIDI, I’m generally singing while playing and it’d be such a relief, but I’m too in love with the aspect of live shows that drive tempos faster/slower depending on the mood that particular gig and I can’t see myself ever willingly playing to a click live.
I totally get it. I often miss the natural tempo sway of playing completely live. But then again, I also can't stand drummers who ramp up the speed jarringly.

The "middle ground" option I used was having a single MIDI Mouse pedal on stage with a Patch UP and Patch DOWN. Then on the AxeFX just lay out the set in a linear way moving one patch up. So anytime I knew there was a tone change, I just hit the up button on the pedal. I could daisy chain the MIDI Mouse and have another one on the other side of the stage just in case. Not ideal, but means I can use my AxeFX MIDI sets without a click.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a tube or fuse blow during a gig? That is something I've always worried about but wondered if that is even a common thing?
Yes - this has happened to me in the last month. User error mostly. It sucked though. I had a cheap sansamp pedal for backup and it sounded like ass direct in. But I got through the gig. Then I used my Flyrig for the last 2 gigs and it sounded great. I still like my amp and will still use it. If the Flyrig was more versatile I would just use it all the time. But its basically a one channel solution for me. I need a good clean channel too.

Du
If and when I play out again I’ll likely take a head and 4x12. I am currently working on a fly rig ( not that I’ll ever need it at my age) with the Tonex and a Blackstar Amped1 running into whatever cab is available. Running a tuner, Gate and OD of the day into the Tonex.
Dude I'm 54 and just started gigging again after like 15 years in an originals band doing punk and hard rock. It is a blast even though I feel sore and everything hurts post gig. Lol.

I'm getting a Tonex One to just dabble in modeling again and sew how it does wirh my Orange Super Crush 100 and Fender FR-12. If that sounds killer, might jump up to a Fractal FM3.

I might trade my Orange Super Crush 100 head for a Pedal Baby but might be a dumb idea since the Pedal Baby is the guts of this amp...

Du

Dude I'm 54 and just started gigging again after like 15 years in an originals band doing punk and hard rock. It is a blast even though I feel sore and everything hurts post gig. Lol.

I'm getting a Tonex One to just dabble in modeling again and sew how it does wirh my Orange Super Crush 100 and Fender FR-12. If that sounds killer, might jump up to a Fractal FM3.

I might trade my Orange Super Crush 100 head for a Pedal Baby but might be a dumb idea since the Pedal Baby is the guts of this amp...
One of my buddy’s said he’s toured with guys using the Pedal Baby, Soundstage and the Blackstar. He liked the Soundstage the best ( I had one. Hated it) and the Orange the least. I have a Quilter and Blackstar. I like the option of the tube emulator on the Blackstar. Both have plenty of headroom.

One of my buddy’s said he’s toured with guys using the Pedal Baby, Soundstage and the Blackstar. He liked the Soundstage the best ( I had one. Hated it) and the Orange the least. I have a Quilter and Blackstar. I like the option of the tube emulator on the Blackstar. Both have plenty of headroom.
I didn't care for the Blackstar but probably didn't give it enough time or thru the right setup.

No digital for me, I already work with computers all day on my day job and don't have the patience or desire to deal with modeling. So I just use my 2203, DSL100H or my Soldano SLO30

But I've been experimenting with the Friedman IR-D as a direct option and I think it sounds pretty good.

[]

I also have a BluGuitar amp that is pretty easy to travel with.

Plenty of options to go DI or have a travel rig without going digital. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater

Last edited:
I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording. I just take the Head to gigs and such a lot of the time and run it through FOH. All the tube amp goodness, with the ability not to have to take a cab. Still like taking my pedal board as well.

I didn't care for the Blackstar but probably didn't give it enough time or thru the right setup.
I have listened to and played a lot of Blackstar. Pass. They all have this same sound to them and I am not a fan at all.

Amps...

Or maybe KSR poweramp with a modeler could be good. I'm still a purist. Not ready yet.

I have listened to and played a lot of Blackstar. Pass. They all have this same sound to them and I am not a fan at all.

Imho Blackstar should focus more clean sounds and light crunch. I've played more than a few Blackstar amps (various models) and most of 'em sounded from very fine to great while clean, and mostly generic, muddy, polished and polite with OD engaged. It's a fine brand, their upper end cabs are fantastic sounding without being super pricey (here in EU at least) and some of their lower end amps are very good, they just need to stop trying to please every guitarist on earth.

Back