Look, another new Metallica song "Screaming suicide" RED MEAT!! Go attack them guys... lol

• Thread starter Thread starter lessarti
  • Start date Start date
I've been a huge Metallica fan since I was 13 or sth. My all time favorite band. The massive rhythm guitar tones, the interludes and James powerful voice... Hell I even dig some St Anger riffs. Death Magnetic could have been an awesome album had it not been mixed - produced like shit. I didn't care for HW that much tho I believe it has its moments. But these 2 new songs, meh...

James' vocals haven't sounded this good in years. They're not quite back up to the Black album but pretty damn close. Whatever he's doing to get his voice back in shape he needs to keep it up.

Overall the new songs remind me of bands that influenced the back in the day; Diamondhead, Budgie, Misfits, Motorhead, etc. Sounds more heavy rock and roll than metal; which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Has a good upbeat pace, though it probably could have been shortened by 2 minutes. It get a bit repetitive pushing the 6 minuet mark.

What fucks this hard is Kirk's shitty solo. Song has a good flow going then Kirk bumble fingers throws a big wrench in to kill it. Is he even trying anymore? Nowhere near professional level. I've heard weekend warriors play better than him.

The song is actually decent. The production doesn't allow it to have the energy that should be there, the drums just exist, with no groove or nastiness.

Ya know, reading your guys’ comments before listening to the song, I expected way worse 🤣

It just sounds like a B-side from Hardwired. Nothing memorable whatsoever. Kirk was just doing his lazy blues licks he prefers. His solo was miles worse on Lux. James does sound pretty damn good though.

What they really need to do is stop using drum samples and record this stuff as raw as they can. That should give them a "produced" 80's or 90's sound .

They should also hire Marty Friedman. Kirk is below dad bod on the weekend crushin beers who only ever learned the pentatonic box.

Let's just call it what it is...this new stuff sounds like Nickleback.

What they really need to do is stop using drum samples and record this stuff as raw as they can. That should give them a "produced" 80's or 90's sound .

They should also hire Marty Friedman. Kirk is below dad bod on the weekend crushin beers who only ever learned the pentatonic box.

Let's just call it what it is...this new stuff sounds like Nickleback.
I thought they tried that already, they should just stop.

You guys remember that little pause in Sad but True, just before the main riff kicks in? If they could stretch that out for 65-70 minutes, it'd make for a great modern Metallica album. Then again maybe not because I bet Greg Fidelman could fuck up the mix on silence too.

I actually kinda dug this one, aside from the leads which I knew were gonna be shit as always

look inwards....ask yourself...."is there really anything they could put out that I would like?" the answer is no, because we associate RTL and Master of Puppets with a specific time in our lives, not just because they kicked ass.

The problem is, they are no longer living the life of a struggling musician.

They have become useless spoiled assholes.

Their music is insincere and soulless.
Famous Hagler quoute: It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas

Reactions: Geo
I’m glad I discovered Metallica right when everyone REALLY started to hate them in the Load era. I don’t have any nostalgic ties to their earlier albums or who they once were and while I can easily listen to the first few albums without skipping any songs (can’t do that past AJFA) they’re just a band that has a long legacy and puts on killer shows for me.

Kirk’s still getting a ton of shit, but he’s actually improved his playing quite a bit in the last 5 years. That doesn’t mean he’s reinvented himself, but he’s at least able to play his older material up to par again and in most cases, he sounds better these days than he did in the 80’s. He’s much more consistent now.

I jus randomly picked two shows a year apart, I definitely can’t give Kirk any shit for his playing there. I was at the the Daytona show and earlier that day was telling my Metalli-fanatic friend that I thought Kirk had gotten sloppy over the years but during the show I had to eat my words. I didn’t hear him fuck up a single time that night or the next night they played.

Pros:
  • Drums sound great.
  • Bass sounds great.
  • Vocals sound great. James sounds more energetic than he has in years.
  • Solo tone sounds great. Even with the wah. Fight me.
But there's something here that doesn't sound great. Can you guess what it is? It's...

Cons:
  • Rhythm guitars (arguably the most important part of any Metallica song) sound like shit. They're EQ'd ok but the distortion sounds like mushy, smeary weak nonsense. Terrible. Who the FUCK keeps shitting up Metallica's tone and how do they keep letting it happen when records with gigantic awesome guitar sounds are released all the time.
  • Lyrics are boring at best and borderline cringy at worst.
  • Riffs are boring and uninspired. Actually they're borderline Guitar Center on a Saturday level boring and uninspired. They're played well of course but other than that they just don't move the needle at all.

Overall: Hard pass.

I’m glad I discovered Metallica right when everyone REALLY started to hate them in the Load era. I don’t have any nostalgic ties to their earlier albums or who they once were and while I can easily listen to the first few albums without skipping any songs (can’t do that past AJFA) they’re just a band that has a long legacy and puts on killer shows for me.

Same. I got into them right when Load was coming out and basically discovered Load and the Black Album at the same time. They are both absolutely excellent records and I believe anybody who thinks otherwise is making that judgement on some notion of "underground True Metal integrity" or some reason like that other than what the records themselves actually are. Then I heard AJFA and worked bacwards from there. Loved the band and have never had any feelings that they sold out or whatever. I feel like I'm lucky in that way, in that I don't feel the need for them to be good as a part of nostalgic heritage or whatever. Instead I can just like them when they're good and can freely not care when they're not good.

Of course I want the band to be good because of what they've shown they can do in the past, and I always root for them I guess, but if Lux AEterna and this latest song are anything to go by... welp. Not interested.

Last edited:
It's meh... I do like it more than the last single. But let's be honest, these guys are what in their 60s...? They aren't full of piss and vinegar anymore. They stopped being a metal band in the mid 90s. If I'm honest, my lead playing has gotten worse over the years. My hands simply don't do what they used to. So I won't hate on them for that.

Back