Marshall Silver Jubilee reissue

• Thread starter Thread starter ProgFree
  • Start date Start date
There are two stages of tube gain and then the SS components help shape some of the distortion characteristics... the jube is not a 900 dual reverb where all the distortion is solid state derived.

Racerxrated":2n6fial9 said:
Ha ha no insecurities here, I just don't agree with the clean amp only distortion from the LED thing. I get that a lot of the preamp gain is in the LEDs, but the amp has an output master vol and a lead master vol. I always ran the output maxed, and controlled the volume with the lead master. So I always had some power tube distortion as well. If I ran it half/half between both volumes, didn't sound as good to me. So there is also power tube distortion to be had as well. Then of course I boosted it more with a solid state pedal lol...

Above 6 on the output master is where I found it sounded best too. Too low on the master and it got a bit raspy.

If you want to avoid the SS components you can just use the clean channel. If you crank the input gain it affects how much signal hits the 2nd gain stage (V1B) so you can get some nice preamp or preamp/Power amp breakup depending on how loud you set the master volume.

Here is a schematic for those that are so inclined to check it out.

http://www.amparchives.com/album/Marsha ... 558amp.jpg

Re Where the Distortion comes from: If you have to open the amp up or analyze a schematic to know if an amp sounds good; you're doing it wrong. :lol: :LOL:

Elric":bqk95lj7 said:
Re Where the Distortion comes from: If you have to open the amp up or analyze a schematic to know if an amp sounds good; you're doing it wrong. :lol: :LOL:

:thumbsup:

Now I've been hunting boost pedals for my liking. I went out on a limb n got a egnater black metal
Great pedal very aggressive sound in itself. Can get super tight very cool for extreme metal. But it changes the tone of the Marshall ... Not bad just not a Marshall jubilee no more.

So after trying an ass load of pedals today I picked up a digitech hardwire cm-2 overdrive ... WOW

I tried it thru a 900 at the store n got really kick ass tones out of it only to bring it home n be blown away thru the jubilee. Clean or dirty this pedal really makes the amp shine without changing the signature tone of amp. Great Dokken tone to excellent thrash metal !

Still think ill pick Up an EVH overdrive...

glassjaw7":16b60lyf said:

This is one of the better 2555x videos out there as it really sums up how the Silver Jubilee opens up beautifully with some volume. At lower volumes it's darker (50w mode), chewier, and not really as heavy on the gain as you might want, but it really comes alive with some loudness. I was told it's the diode clipping that does that. All I know is that when you have it kind of loud only a boost is enough for metal riffs. I think the clean channel is something very special once you get used to it. Not a lot of people talk about the cleans much but in my opinion it's outstanding arcross the clean spectrum.

Two features which sold me on it were the external bias which I have used to install 6550's, and because a little EQ goes a long way. It's the best EQ of any Marshall in my opinion. When the AFD100 came out, I really wanted one, but they were pricey. Now that I am running 6550's in my 2555x, I'm getting a lot of great AFD sounds with my Les Paul. That's not what I'm after but I love being able to get that kind of tone sometimes.

Right before I bought my first Jubilee, a 2554 combo, I was hoping to snag an AFD. Found one in Mpls, tried it out. Thought it was very thin sounding, not bad but not what I expected. Then a 2554 in Madison, for 850. Destroyed the AFD with a boost, just a little sleeper amp that everyone thought was a practice amp. Been hooked on a Jube tone ever since.

Racerxrated":2724r4tr said:
Right before I bought my first Jubilee, a 2554 combo, I was hoping to snag an AFD. Found one in Mpls, tried it out. Thought it was very thin sounding, not bad but not what I expected. Then a 2554 in Madison, for 850. Destroyed the AFD with a boost, just a little sleeper amp that everyone thought was a practice amp. Been hooked on a Jube tone ever since.

The ones I played didn't sound thin at all. Bright but not thin as far as I could tell. I found a video which pretty much sums up how the AFD100 sounds to me.

SavageRiffer":3bwcvr57 said:
glassjaw7":3bwcvr57 said:

This is one of the better 2555x videos out there as it really sums up how the Silver Jubilee opens up beautifully with some volume. At lower volumes it's darker (50w mode), chewier, and not really as heavy on the gain as you might want, but it really comes alive with some loudness. I was told it's the diode clipping that does that. All I know is that when you have it kind of loud only a boost is enough for metal riffs. I think the clean channel is something very special once you get used to it. Not a lot of people talk about the cleans much but in my opinion it's outstanding arcross the clean spectrum.

Two features which sold me on it were the external bias which I have used to install 6550's, and because a little EQ goes a long way. It's the best EQ of any Marshall in my opinion. When the AFD100 came out, I really wanted one, but they were pricey. Now that I am running 6550's in my 2555x, I'm getting a lot of great AFD sounds with my Les Paul. That's not what I'm after but I love being able to get that kind of tone sometimes.

Yep exactly then boost it for over the top !

Yeah that sounds much better than I remember. Maybe tubes were questionable.

Racerxrated":27xwbmnf said:
Yeah that sounds much better than I remember. Maybe tubes were questionable.
Reference to the AFD video..lol

Back