Marshall Vintage Modern IN THE HOUSE

• Thread starter Thread starter zepman
  • Start date Start date
:|::QBB:
Chubtone":59a6b said:
Well since this has turned into a current and former Peacemaker owners convention. :D The Vintage Modern 100 watter is $1499. The Peacemaker is over $3000. To expect the Vintage Modern to "kill" it isn't very realistic.

There is such a list of "must haves" to get "that" sound from a Peacemaker that it's a bit silly, isn't it? You gotta have this kind of guitar, with SPECIFICALLY this type of pickup, that has specifically this type of output. You have to have this type of speakers and be able to turn it up to stupid volume. If you can't turn it up that loud (and who can?) you need a $270 Hot Plate. Oh, so now the $250 add-on Power Dampening is better than the Hot Plate, except that I think the Power Dampening doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Hot Plate at -8.

Here's the funny thing, I spent at least $1500 on trying to find the right boost pedal for doing leads on the Peacemaker. I could have bought a Vintage Modern for what I spent on boost pedals. :) billybogner went through the same thing with boost pedals for leads.

Most of my solo clips with the PM I don't use pedals on. It seems to sound more gainy recorded than it does in the room...

Steve

Chubtone":adf00 said:
Well since this has turned into a current and former Peacemaker owners convention. :D The Vintage Modern 100 watter is $1499. The Peacemaker is over $3000. To expect the Vintage Modern to "kill" it isn't very realistic.

There is such a list of "must haves" to get "that" sound from a Peacemaker that it's a bit silly, isn't it? You gotta have this kind of guitar, with SPECIFICALLY this type of pickup, that has specifically this type of output. You have to have this type of speakers and be able to turn it up to stupid volume. If you can't turn it up that loud (and who can?) you need a $270 Hot Plate. Oh, now the Power Dampening is better than the Hot Plate, except that I think the Power Dampening doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Hot Plate at -8.

Here's the funny thing, I spent at least $1500 on trying to find the right boost pedal for doing leads on the Peacemaker. I could have bought a Vintage Modern for what I spent on boost pedals. :) billybogner went through the same thing with boost pedals for leads.

again, the real point is:

what produces the best tone?

this isn't a bang for the buck discussion. there are millions of reasons why people can complain about high prices for boutique amps, and reasons why you are salty about mojave/dealer relationships, which colors your perspective i'm sure.

the two rock stuff bums me out because i love the tones and think they are the best at that catagory but not for THAT much money.

as far as what c-slice accurately used to describe as the elaborate "appointments" required to make mojaves do their thing (pickups/hotplate/speakers/pedals), i understand where the irritation comes from, but the again bottom line is:

TONE.

did being more selective and careful about all the elements in your signal chain really burden you to the point where you feel the need to start mocking vic's amps and methods,
or did it actually help you to achieve an overall better tone and ability to narrow down what it is thast each link in the chain really does, giving you a bettter overall understanding of what you like and don't like.

for me, aquiring the right components just made a great tone better, and taught me a lot about tone along the way.

vic is far from perfect, but i'm glad to have found mojave amps and have vic as a friend and tone consultant.

I could bring up VHoholic and his 5150 combo and blanket over it clips :D

Man you guys need to chill with mystical Vai playing softly in the background while holding moon rocks in your out-stretched arms calling for your charma......right Pat?? :lol:

'63-Strat":e0431 said:

:doh2: :doh2:

LOL

At least Carl is entertaining.

:lol:

that he is!
and i always look forward to his clips.

we may disagree from time to time, but whiskey knows gear, and has driven me to tears with some of his flame war zingers. but his fearless crossing of the politically correct line has banned him out of more forums than i can remember.

c versus john ou/andergtr......unbelievable moments.

sah5150":1dfef said:

Most of my solo clips with the PM I don't use pedals on. It seems to sound more gainy recorded than it does in the room...

Steve

your clips are also great examples of not mucking up the PM with pedals, yet even with tons of pedal gain, the PM is clearer to my ears than the gain in the VM.

although i haven't plugged in to the JVM and decided for myself, i don't imagine the JVM would be any clearer than the VM, but i really like carl's clips and think that regardless of that factor, the JVM is pretty intriguing to say the least.

mentoneman":d7ef7 said:

and reasons why you are salty about mojave/dealer relationships, which colors your perspective i'm sure.

as far as what c-slice accurately used to describe as the elaborate "appointments" required to make mojaves do their thing (pickups/hotplate/speakers/pedals), i understand where the irritation comes from, but the again bottom line is:

TONE.

did being more selective and careful about all the elements in your signal chain really burden you to the point where you feel the need to start mocking vic's amps and methods,
or did it actually help you to achieve an overall better tone and ability to narrow down what it is thast each link in the chain really does, giving you a bettter overall understanding of what you like and don't like.

for me, aquiring the right components just made a great tone better, and taught me a lot about tone along the way.

vic is far from perfect, but i'm glad to have found mojave amps and have vic as a friend and tone consultant.

Pat,
I have no idea where you are coming from on this. I'm not mocking Vic at all, in any way. I still like Vic and we didn't end our manufacturer/dealer relationship with any bad blood between us at all. It was purely a business decision in the best interest of my store.

I still LOVE my Peacemaker. LOVE IT. When I was discussing the "chain" that was necessary to get that tone, it was partly frustration and partly humorous. I love the tones I get with my Peacemaker and the pedals and pickups I found that work with it.

So if you are somehow reading my PM posts with a negative or soured angle on the Mojave stuff, you are reading something into it that is not there. The only negative angle I come from on the Mojave stuff is where they are priced is just keeping them out of too many players hands.

Chubtone":5306b said:
:|::QBB:The only negative angle I come from on the Mojave stuff is where they are priced is just keeping them out of too many players hands.

They need to be at least $1000 cheaper given what else is out there now...

Steve

carlygtr56":04e0e said:

Pat , are we talking about the same amp?
Forget the PM for a sec. Which Marshall did you try?

I played the Vintage Modern today at GC. I found it beyond attrocious. It flat out sucked, IMO on every level. no gain, buzzy mess. If i could have, i would have taken a leak on it to put it out of it's misery.

Thank god the JVM resembles the VM in no way shape or form. Totally different amp in every way.
You will eventually try a JVM and be blown away. It's that good.

i tried the VM..i actually didn't HATE it, but it was no way as clear as the PM, and out of respect to the poor soul who started this very positive thread :D zepman,
i'm not gonna try to rain on his parade, but i think i'm with you on the idea that i'll like the JVM a bunch more!

and dunno if i'm gonna like it as much as my beloved TOL 100 which is in bruce's hands right now undergoing some "modifications" :D :D

Chubtone":3f70d said:

Pat,
I have no idea where you are coming from on this. I'm not mocking Vic at all, in any way. I still like Vic and we didn't end our manufacturer/dealer relationship with any bad blood between us at all. It was purely a business decision in the best interest of my store.

I still LOVE my Peacemaker. LOVE IT. When I was discussing the "chain" that was necessary to get that tone, it was partly frustration and partly humorous. I love the tones I get with my Peacemaker and the pedals and pickups I found that work with it.

So if you are somehow reading my PM posts with a negative or soured angle on the Mojave stuff, you are reading something into it that is not there. The only negative angle I come from on the Mojave stuff is where they are priced is just keeping them out of too many players hands.

sorry-my bad then!
it did seem like you were kinda fed up with the PM...i musta misunderstood the tongue in cheek stuff BIG TIME :D

i'm glad we both still agree the PM OWNS!

mentoneman":f0e45 said:

it did seem like you were kinda fed up with the PM...i musta misunderstood the tongue in cheek stuff BIG TIME :D

i'm glad we both still agree the PM OWNS!

No dude, not fed up with it at all. heck man, I've had it just over three years and I'm not tired of it at all. Now I have a Splawn Quickrod and a Cameron Aldrich mod sitting next to it, so I think I have my Marshall bases covered. But I am very interested in checking out the JVM.

Chubtone":c2714 said:

No dude, not fed up with it at all. heck man, I've had it just over three years and I'm not tired of it at all. Now I have a Splawn Quickrod and a Cameron Aldrich mod sitting next to it, so I think I have my Marshall bases covered. But I am very interested in checking out the JVM.

JVM on OD1 Amber With everything at 12 o clock Presence and resonance at 3 oclock through H30 speakers = Lynch.

:D

Gainfreak":41c42 said:

JVM on OD1 Amber With everything at 12 o clock Presence and resonance at 3 oclock through H30 speakers = Lynch.

Pasted to clip board with Georges Plexi settings :D

Gainfreak":39803 said:

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger. :eek:

Back