MXR Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
Yngwie swears that the gear he uses he will use forever as it's perfect, until another endorsement comes along and then that new product becomes much more perfect.

Dude will eventually have the same exact pedal made by every pedal manufacturer out there

is it my imagination or in that sweetwater vid does his tone sound more like his tone in the mid to late 80s? also wondering if this is as noisy as the older ones.

Anyone know if this is a true bypass pedal? Or whatever MXR calls it.......

Asked Thomann when will they get these in stock but they had no info yet.

the fender its not a 250 clone or variation, it actually have an extra gain stage, this new mxr sounds similar to the fender(from the demos) with a little less hi end, the fender is brighter than the yjm308 and cut more bass

Yes, I tuned mine for less bass as it was to full with humbuckers. With singles it would work though but i bet this is what they have done with these. Make them friendlier to both singles and buckers. I'll pick one up just to line YJM's pockets more. He needs a newer Ferrari.. he keeps pretending that the old one's are " classics" and his "preference". love Yngwie. The forever Pirate shirt and leather pants guitar hero.

is it my imagination or in that sweetwater vid does his tone sound more like his tone in the mid to late 80s? also wondering if this is as noisy as the older ones.
Sounds like the Fender had cut the most bass and boosted the most highs.. you are right, sounds like this one has backed that off some. But overall, everyone is right here, he just reissues a variation of the same thing over and over again depending on who will shoot him an endorsement deal. Yngwie knows it, he could use an SD-1 through a crunchy Peavy and still sound like him. He IS the tone.

1725648881596.jpeg

Thanks so much for the gut shot!

Surprising, it's not a DOD250, nor YJM308! Of course, they are still using the RC4558P Op Amp and 1N4148 clipping diodes, but they tweaked a much of values throughout.

With I could see all of the capacitor values, but all-in-all, I would say a different pedal and not like the Rhoads RR-104, which is a stock D+ with at-most measures Germanium diodes.

As someone else above pointed out...wtf is up with ANOTHER PCB?!?? Do they not know how to commonize them and save money?? I would FIRE the PCB designer!

So, how does it SOUND compared to the DOD250 or YJM308 of Fender?? A GOOD direct comparison of the 3 or 4 pedals would be in order before going down that rabbit hole again.

Oh, and someone posted a picture of the yellor
1725652809740.png
pedal on another forum and looking at the parts, and even thou the Yellow was a "Special Edition", there appears to be NO difference between them! What a scam!!

It's very different, just like the RR Distortion+ is very different from the stock Distortion+

Yellow was listed as a Sweetwater exclusive, there was no implication of any circuit differences. They've done this with a bunch of other stuff as well including the Andy Timmons pedals in Sweetwater exclusive colors.

what's the big question on this one ???? whether or not it's just a standard DOD250 ??

Yellow was listed as a Sweetwater exclusive, there was no implication of any circuit differences. They've done this with a bunch of other stuff as well including the Andy Timmons pedals in Sweetwater exclusive colors.

I bought one from Europe’s biggest music store and looks like Andertons in UK carries the yellow ones as well.

I bought one from Europe’s biggest music store and looks like Andertons in UK carries the yellow ones as well.

Was going to check and see if it was US exclusive... but the page isn't there for the yellow one anymore lol

I plugged the Yngwie OD into the JVM’s Crunch channel for a goof. That channel is weak and muddy, and doesn’t clean up for shit.
In either Green or Orange mode, the Yngwie sounded killer. Woke that shitty channel up.

Back