MXR Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
I plugged the Yngwie OD into the JVM’s Crunch channel for a goof. That channel is weak and muddy, and doesn’t clean up for shit.
In either Green or Orange mode, the Yngwie sounded killer. Woke that shitty channel up.

Great! I should be getting mine in mid/late October.

I need another DOD 250 pedal like I need another butt. BUT, being the Yngwie fanboy that I am - I had to buy the new MXR.

I own or have owned:
  1. Original late 70s Grey 250
  2. 80s-something Yellow reissue
  3. YJM 308
  4. Mosky clone
  5. New Yellow Dod 250
  6. MXR YJM (RED)

First off - the El Cheapo $25 Mosky clone, aside from the sweep of the pots, has no business sounding as good as it does. Very close to the other pedals, which gives you an indication how overpriced all the other pedals are, as this is a very simple, primitive circuit.

The original grey late 70's was the warmest and had the most bass. The first 80s-something yellow reissue had a bass cut - too much. The YJM 308 also had less bass than the original grey, but not quite as severe - to this day I still use it, very nice sounding. The new DOD 250 (yellow with led indicator and True Bypass) I feel they went overboard with this, and it has TOO much bass.

The new MXR falls somewhere in the middle, I would say out of all the ones I tried, it is closest in sound to the YJM308 which to me is a good thing, albeit for me personally, a bit redundant.

JQ

Back