NAD: EVH 5150 III 100S

• Thread starter Thread starter SFW
  • Start date Start date
Your EVH sounds great...congrats...!:2thumbsup:

But man..... that GROWL in the first video with the Splawn is quite enjoyable!:yes:

Did you ever get the problem fixed with the Splawn or did you give up on it?
No. I gave up on the Splawn. Unfortunately the newer ones don’t capture the pissed off aggression of the originals.

Hell yeah, congrats on the NAD! :D

A nice little trick with the 100S is the gain pot on the blue channel affects the gain on the red channel, like engaging a boost, so if you feel it's too over the top, completely roll back the gain on the blue channel. if you want all out brutality on the red channel, dime the gain on the blue channel. :m17:

While I love metal, my playing would most likely fall under hard rock. I just like a shit ton of gain...lol! Here are a couple of live clips from my last band.

That is a badass sound you guys have. I am going to check out a lot more

Your EVH sounds great...congrats...!:2thumbsup:

But man..... that GROWL in the first video with the Splawn is quite enjoyable!:yes:

Did you ever get the problem fixed with the Splawn or did you give up on it?
Yeah. That fucking splawn sounds amazing

Reactions: SFW
Hell yeah, congrats on the NAD! :D

A nice little trick with the 100S is the gain pot on the blue channel affects the gain on the red channel, like engaging a boost, so if you feel it's too over the top, completely roll back the gain on the blue channel. if you want all out brutality on the red channel, dime the gain on the blue channel. :m17:
Ya ! A great Easter egg !

So I moved the Savage 120 MK II and picked up an EVH 5150 III 100S. I will miss the clean channel from the Savage- as it was one of the nicest cleans on a multi-channel head that I have heard. I briefly owned the 50 watt Stealth, but this is a completely difference animal. It is much more open sounding. The Blue channel has more gain on the 100. I could actually spend most of my time on this channel and be happy. With the gain at noon on the red channel I get about the same amount of gain I used to run on my original version. I am very happy to have matching logos again! lol!

View attachment 268317
Why you like stealth better than savage . Just wondering

What years are most agressive ?
The first run. I believe 2005 - 2008. The three-preamp tube version. They are more aggressive sounding. The "old" switch does not capture that tone, IMHO.

That is a badass sound you guys have. I am going to check out a lot more
Thanks. Search Straight Jacket Theory on all the major platforms. The Retrograde EP is all Splawn Quickrod. Unfortunately, we called it a day due to our singer's health problems.

Why you like stealth better than savage . Just wondering
I got rid of the Savage for a few reasons. I prefer the voicing of the midrange on the EVH amps to the Engls. I honestly felt like the Savage was a great two channel amp. I was never able to get the crunch channels to work for me. Now that may be a user issue and not the amp...lol! I can get all three channels of the EVH to give me something useful. I had the original 100-watt model years ago and regretted selling it. When I bought the Savage I almost got another EVH then. And every time I see and band using them, I love how they sit in the mix.

Last edited:
The first run. I believe 2005 - 2008. The three-preamp tube version. They are more aggressive sounding. The "old" switch does capture that tone, IMHO.

Thanks. Search Straight Jacket Theory on all the major platforms. The Retrograde EP is all Splawn Quickrod. Unfortunately, we called it a day due to our singer's health problems.

I got rid of the Savage for a few reasons. I prefer the voicing of the midrange on the EVH amps to the Engls. I honestly felt like the Savage was a great two channel amp. I was never able to get the crunch channels to work for me. Now that may be a user issue and not the amp...lol! I can get all three channels of the EVH to give me something useful. I had the original 100-watt model years ago and regretted selling it. When I bought the Savage I almost got another EVH then. And every time I see and band using them, I love how they sit in the mix.
Ya I prefered the stealth too but I do like Engl for death metal

While I love metal, my playing would most likely fall under hard rock. I just like a shit ton of gain...lol! Here are a couple of live clips from my last band.

Not my style of music at all but you guys sound really good. Guitar sounds KILLER! You are a 3 piece? I hear no emptiness in sound.

Not my style of music at all but you guys sound really good. Guitar sounds KILLER! You are a 3 piece? I hear no emptiness in sound.
Thank you. We were bass, drums and guitar with a vocalist. I tried to take up a lot of sonic space to keep it thick sounding. We prided ourselves on sounding huge.

HNEVHD :cheers:
Agreed those Splawn clips sound great.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is that "Stack On" box in the pic? Ported cab? ISO box?

The 100 watt stealth is a beast of an amp! I have the 50 and a buddy as the 100 and man that 100 watt power section brings the cheese. I was going to ask if they changed the grill to the outside on yours? I seem to remember the mesh being behind the str

Which Stealth to get…6L6 or EL34?
Had the EL34 and just bought the 6L6 a few weeks ago.
34's were more Marshall. Nothing wrong with that.
But this 6L6 version kills. Lot of girth and if you run the Presence above 2 oclock you get that "KERANG"
I dial the clean channel like I did several Bogner XTC'S I had. Run the Master close to full and just crack open the Gain.
Get very chimy., unless you need 3 channels all gain, Meh.

Get the 6L6 Version and thank me later.

Sounds great man!

Had the EL34 and just bought the 6L6 a few weeks ago.
34's were more Marshall. Nothing wrong with that.
But this 6L6 version kills. Lot of girth and if you run the Presence above 2 oclock you get that "KERANG"
I dial the clean channel like I did several Bogner XTC'S I had. Run the Master close to full and just crack open the Gain.
Get very chimy., unless you need 3 channels all gain, Meh.

Get the 6L6 Version and thank me later.
I agree fully . 6l6

Back