NAD: Helios 100W.. hummmm

Catthan
Catthan
So,, 2nd hand helios in. sounds great and does what I thought but...

the transformer hum is unlike anything I've heard before and bc of the proximity of the amp to my studio desk and the size of the room it bugs me a lot.

I'm going through a power regulator but also changing outlets, killing lights, computers, screens etc doesn't affect it i.e. it doesn't seem to be picking up any obvious interference. Amp hums on standby with nothing plugged in, no effect if I turn knobs and hum doesn't go through the speaker.

My Wizard, XTC, 2c+ and Shiva I have here don't hum anywhere this loud (Wiz is actually dead quiet..)

Normal? I'm about to send it back to the shop, just not sure if it's going for repair or return..

Read somewhere it's got to do with filtering/ design but can't be sure..

Any clues?

Cheers

You hear it over your playing?

Crank the master. You'll never hear it.
No, which is why I don't believe it's a fault. It's just that these days I only work in an small space and noise like that can be annoying.
As soon as I stop playing (to do stuff in the DAW or whatever else) I'm inclined to turn it off.
Wouldn't give a shit if I was gigging.

No, which is why I don't believe it's a fault. It's just that these days I only work in an small space and noise like that can be annoying.
As soon as I stop playing (to do stuff in the DAW or whatever else) I'm inclined to turn it off.
Wouldn't give a shit if I was gigging.
I 100% relate. I try to do shit in reaper and then get pissed off and jump up and kill amp. I have started recording like 8 or 9 things at once so that i do not have to go back and forth

Back